Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 2.0 Petrol 2011 - rough idle

Views : 616

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 19th, 2021, 11:47   #1
ajguk

Default S40 2.0 Petrol 2011 - rough idle

Hi all

So new to me 74K mile S40 has something of a rough idle, feels like a diesel through the steering wheel. Not what I would describe as 'lumpy' i.e. revs are settled around 1K rpm, not bouncing around all over the place.

What are the first things I should be looking at? Would cleaning the throttle body out be a good place to start or shall I go straight to spark plugs and coil packs? It's a winter 'shed' but is in generally good nick, but would like to start off cheap if possible!

Thanks
ajguk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 16:27   #2
Brione

Default Engine mounts

Hi I had similar problems with my 2.0d V50. Idle was smooth but you could feel the car shudder slightly and a vibration through steering wheel. I replaced all 3 engine mounts and problems went away. Not sure if this is your problem but It could be a starting point? All three mounts were less than £100 and I done it on the drive way in just over an hour.

Cheers

Brione
Brione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 17:33   #3
ajguk

Yes I've seen this mentioned actually so could be worth a try. How easy is the access on these engines?
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 19:08   #4
PNM

The plugs are due changing at 75k, so it might be worth doing them too, although the mounts is the more likely source of the problem.
PNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 22:36   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajguk View Post
Hi all

So new to me 74K mile S40 has something of a rough idle, feels like a diesel through the steering wheel. Not what I would describe as 'lumpy' i.e. revs are settled around 1K rpm, not bouncing around all over the place.

What are the first things I should be looking at? Would cleaning the throttle body out be a good place to start or shall I go straight to spark plugs and coil packs? It's a winter 'shed' but is in generally good nick, but would like to start off cheap if possible!

Thanks
could be oil around the plugs or a coil failed or neglected spark plugs
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 22:46   #6
Brione

Quote:
Yes I've seen this mentioned actually so could be worth a try. How easy is the access on these engines?
Not sure if the same on the petrol. But on the diesel was easy enough. The driver's side mount was the easiest. Just support the engine, I used a block of wood under the sump on a trolley jack. Only 4 bolts. Passenger side mount was under the battery. So all the enclosure for that had to be removed but still simple enough. I just supported the engine in the same way with block under the gearbox. The torque mount was a pain though. But managed to get it out by putting car on small ramps and lying under car and was able to wiggle it free pushing the engine forward and fitting in reverse. You could maybe just leave this one though. If your gear change is smooth it is probably ok. I'd start with the driver's side. It is the most substantial and could be the main cause of the problem. This is supposed to fit your car. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384170745...gAAOSwOFBgozCw . Look to see if you see similar on yours and that's a start for you?

Cheers

Brione
Brione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2021, 10:18   #7
ajguk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brione View Post
Not sure if the same on the petrol. But on the diesel was easy enough. The driver's side mount was the easiest. Just support the engine, I used a block of wood under the sump on a trolley jack. Only 4 bolts. Passenger side mount was under the battery. So all the enclosure for that had to be removed but still simple enough. I just supported the engine in the same way with block under the gearbox. The torque mount was a pain though. But managed to get it out by putting car on small ramps and lying under car and was able to wiggle it free pushing the engine forward and fitting in reverse. You could maybe just leave this one though. If your gear change is smooth it is probably ok. I'd start with the driver's side. It is the most substantial and could be the main cause of the problem. This is supposed to fit your car. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384170745...gAAOSwOFBgozCw . Look to see if you see similar on yours and that's a start for you?

Cheers

Brione
Thanks Brione. I had a look at the weekend and the driver's side mount was easily visible, and I can see quite a bit of perished rubber on there. I think it's a job for next week when I've got a few days off, thanks for the instructions, I will give it a try! Might do the plugs as someone else has suggested too, and possibly get hold of a coil pack and try it on each cylinder. Takes me back to when I had a Mazda3 MPS and was chasing down a misfire!

Something else that has alerted me a bit as well is that I've got a failed ambient temp sensor, it thinks the temp is about 12 degress lower than it actually is. An old post suggests that this sensor supplies the ECU so the car may think it's colder than it is, causing under/over fuelling which can affect the engine and particularly the mpg (which according to the onboard is around 27mpg at the moment, I mainly do shortish journeys though so this doesn't seem that bad).

Thanks
Old Nov 22nd, 2021, 10:20   #8
ajguk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNM View Post
The plugs are due changing at 75k, so it might be worth doing them too, although the mounts is the more likely source of the problem.
I'll check the latest service entries and see when they were last done (if ever), thanks.
Old Nov 22nd, 2021, 14:17   #9
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks Brione. I had a look at the weekend and the driver's side mount was easily visible, and I can see quite a bit of perished rubber on there. I think it's a job for next week when I've got a few days off, thanks for the instructions, I will give it a try! Might do the plugs as someone else has suggested too, and possibly get hold of a coil pack and try it on each cylinder. Takes me back to when I had a Mazda3 MPS and was chasing down a misfire!

Something else that has alerted me a bit as well is that I've got a failed ambient temp sensor, it thinks the temp is about 12 degress lower than it actually is. An old post suggests that this sensor supplies the ECU so the car may think it's colder than it is, causing under/over fuelling which can affect the engine and particularly the mpg (which according to the onboard is around 27mpg at the moment, I mainly do shortish journeys though so this doesn't seem that bad).

Thanks
passenger side door mirror is where that is,, cheap part from a main dealer,
easy fit,
door card off,
tweeter cover off
disconnect door mirror leads,
unbolt door mirror
remove glass,
access temp sensor + housing,,
swap
rebuild
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 16:18   #10
ajguk

Quote:
I'll check the latest service entries and see when they were last done (if ever), thanks.
These were only changed last year actually, only 3K miles ago. I'll get the temp sensor done then move onto the engine mounts.