Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2008 XC70 D5 SE Lux.

Views : 9559

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 24th, 2021, 08:45   #21
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR View Post
Thats good of you to say, thanks.
With engine bay cleaning its important of course to avoid the alternator and air intake with strong jets of water but really theres nothing to it.
I warm the engine but not excessively hot.
Then I remove any leaves, dust or loose debris using a vacuum cleaner, air line or leaf blower with the tube cut right down and flared .
I like to remove the engine cover too and clean it separately.
Wrap any exposed cabling with cling film if necessary.
I then start with the least aggressive cleaner and mentally split the engine bay into quarters, working on each, spraying and agitating with a small stiff brush.
I use Meguiars APC but a good strong (1:10) soap solution will be fine (nick the Fairy Liquid).
Pay particular attention to all nooks, crannies and seals and be prepared to reach down deep into the bay (a brush taped to a rod/wooden spoon is a good idea)
When you've done a quarter of the engine bay give it a gentle hose off and repeat with the rest of the engine, foaming and rinsing as you go.
Once done you want a good degreaser (Meguiars) from a spray bottle. Some others will dry your rubbers and make them white so spray, agitate the oily bits and rinse away as you go. Clean your manky brush.
*If you come across any heavy oil leaks, note their position and check for future seepage, they're a lot easier to spot once everything is clean.
Once thats done, neutralise any degreaser that may be present with a decent overall spray with APC, soapy water, car shampoo solution etc.....
Agitate any bits you missed and rinse thoroughly.
Run your engine for 5 minutes and turn it off (remembering to remove any protective cling film etc) then close the bonnet and make a brew. Once supped, lift the bonnet and get to work drying any remaining water with paper towels or old microfibres...
Once fully dry its time to dress the surfaces, restoring the colour to black parts and revitalising anything made of rubber. Work steadily using something like Aerospace 303 Protectant, spray on, work in with a brush, wipe away excess with a cotton cloth or ripped up T-Shirt.

To fully do justice to your engine bay you really need to do the under bonnet area too. Its a bit messy as its above your head but the procedure is the same and should be done before the engine bay itself. Avoid soaking the insulation if you can, instead use a good hand brush and vacuum. Its a good idea to drape towels or an old blanket over the engine bay while you clean and rinse the under bonnet.

At this stage you've probably got filthy spray all over your screen and down the wings, so do the decent thing and give the entire car a good wash and dry.
Avoid tackling the engine bay immediately AFTER cleaning the entire car.....how do I know this ?

The Aerospace 303 Protectant is probably the best all round product you can buy. Door seals, pedal rubbers, interior and exterior trim including grilles and window trim. It leaves a natural new car finish which is neither shiny or greasy and lasts a fair while too.

On the XC theres a fair bit of black trim.....
Thank you for that detailed response.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2021, 07:44   #22
LardFather

Default Lovely looking car

Did this sell in the end? Is the lucky new owner a forum member?
LardFather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2021, 00:50   #23
XCR
Master Member

I decided to hold on to it as I changed my mind on my intended purchase of a T6.

However....
I may be selling it very soon. I have a new job with hardly any commuting so it would be wasted.
Get in touch if interested.
Old Nov 22nd, 2021, 17:34   #24
XCR
Master Member

Looks like a new company-provided EV is on its way so my great car must go....

MOT coming up shortly too so I'm looking for expressions of interest from the forum to spare me the whole eBay 'experience'. I've no time for it, honestly.

Recently shod with Continental 4x4 Winter Tyres.

Pics and description on page 1 of this thread but price will be significantly lower.

Enquiries via PM please.

Last edited by XCR; Nov 22nd, 2021 at 17:38.
XCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 18:09   #25
XCR
Master Member

Now sold.
Many thanks to those who expressed interest.
Time to enjoy the T5 for a while until the EV arrives.
Old Dec 22nd, 2021, 09:53   #26
warninglight
VOC Member

Thanks Mark,

I'm now putting the XC into daily use and loving it.

The clunk from the rear was a top damper mount - £20 and 2 hours to sort - due to some rusty bolts, or it would have been 40 mins!

Other than that it just needed a number plate bulb, and a repair to some of the screenwash tubing behind the front bumper which had split so it was emptying the reservoir, and it's now driving lovely.

The 'Engine System Service' message seems to have been due to the oil being overfilled - whether this was from the last service, or possibly some diesel dilution remains to be seen - but touch wood it's not a sensor going bad or similar!

Past: 1997 S70 TDi, 1997 C70 T5 GT, 2003 V70 Bi-Fuel, 2000 Ph2 V70 2.5D, 1997 V70R Auto FWD, 1998 V70R Manual AWD, 2004 XC90 D5 G/T, 2005 S60 D5
warninglight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2021, 10:03   #27
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Am so tempted to PM and ask whether this is still for sale
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2021, 11:54   #28
warninglight
VOC Member

It's not, it's mine!

However knowing how regularly I spot a car I want, it could be for sale again in 6 months. I hope not.

Past: 1997 S70 TDi, 1997 C70 T5 GT, 2003 V70 Bi-Fuel, 2000 Ph2 V70 2.5D, 1997 V70R Auto FWD, 1998 V70R Manual AWD, 2004 XC90 D5 G/T, 2005 S60 D5
Old Dec 23rd, 2021, 12:03   #29
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warninglight View Post
It's not, it's mine!

However knowing how regularly I spot a car I want, it could be for sale again in 6 months. I hope not.
Ah, so we should all PM and ask about the sale then!
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2022, 16:33   #30
warninglight
VOC Member

True to form, this is coming up for sale very soon, now on 216k and counting.

My commute has now dropped from a 60 mile round trip to a 10 mile round trip, so for better or worse I'm going to build a camper van to use as a daily.

A proper ad will follow, but thought I'd refresh this topic for those who were interested last time.

It also now has a brand new Brink swan neck towbar with 7 and 13 pin electrics, and is in Whitehaven, West Cumbria, but I'll happily deliver anywhere in the UK and Ireland!

The Following User Says Thank You to warninglight For This Useful Post: