Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Adding Factory HID headlights

Views : 3055

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 27th, 2021, 15:38   #21
apersson850
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
There was an update where the ABL function was disabled when the headlight position was at "0" but the headlights were on as they were the DRL'.
Yes, that's what I got, but neither me nor the Volvo workshop knew about that. There were already a setup at two different places in the menu system for this, but somebody at Volvo thought they needed a third.
Since the ABL never runs at daylight anyway, regardless of any setting, there was no purpose of that change at all.

They reverted back to the original style again later.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2021, 17:14   #22
ferg55

Quote:
Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post
Since the ABL never runs at daylight anyway, regardless of any setting, there was no purpose of that change at all.
Yes that's correct, ABL is only active in the dark. It must use a light sensor. People may not realise that.
ferg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 10:12   #23
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg55 View Post
Yes that's correct, ABL is only active in the dark. It must use a light sensor. People may not realise that.
There is a daylight sensor on every Volvo P2 and onwards (possibly earlier) it controls the dashboard lighting levels.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 12:17   #24
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I’d love to have xenons on mine too. I should have bought an SE Lux. Halogen lights, even with brighter bulbs are useless.

I also miss having a rear wiper. I know its a saloon, so it doesn’t have one. However, every bit of dirt/grime sticks to the window. When its raining heavy, the rear de-mist doesn’t clear the window quickly either, so visibility isn’t the greatest in those circumstances.
Any solutions?
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 12:57   #25
37 RUBY
Master Member

Quote:
I’d love to have xenons on mine too. I should have bought an SE Lux. Halogen lights, even with brighter bulbs are useless.

I also miss having a rear wiper. I know its a saloon, so it doesn’t have one. However, every bit of dirt/grime sticks to the window. When its raining heavy, the rear de-mist doesn’t clear the window quickly either, so visibility isn’t the greatest in those circumstances.

Quote:
Any solutions?
The rear windscreen of a vehicle such as yours is the one place I have used RainX to good effect. Once up to a reasonable speed, standing water is blown off. I personally do not like it's effect on front screens and it is a swine to remove.

Same company also produce an anti fogging product for internal glass surfaces. I used to apply it to insides of motorcycle helmet visor.

You could also throw one of those fabric dehumidifier packs on the parcel shelf.

Have you cleaned the rear demister terminals to ensure good voltage?
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 15:19   #26
Whippy
Premier Member

Won't be able to do any of this sort of thing once the new legislation gets passed.
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 16:46   #27
apersson850
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 RUBY View Post
Until met with last night's blizzard on the way home from work in the early hours when they were pretty hopeless, not enough heat emanating out to melt the heavy snow and too much light fragmentation at the top of the lense causing the snow blindness....
You can still use the high-pressure headlight washer to remove snow as well. Some of it, at least.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 21:32   #28
ferg55

Quote:
Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post
You can still use the high-pressure headlight washer to remove snow as well. Some of it, at least.
Mine only work every 4 or 5 times I pull the window wash stalk - presumably because they consume too much water and so this is how they have been designed. Is there a way of "forcing" them to work when I want them to?
ferg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2021, 12:04   #29
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg55 View Post
Mine only work every 4 or 5 times I pull the window wash stalk - presumably because they consume too much water and so this is how they have been designed. Is there a way of "forcing" them to work when I want them to?
The headlight washers operate every 5th time you use the jets, I think, so if you use the stalk control in short intervals with a 2 seconds pause you can get them to operate.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2021, 16:57   #30
uknowiama

Quick read. So does not seem possible. I had a lovely V70 SE 59 Plate d5 205 previously but had the halogen lights. And was not impressed with the lights. When I decided I was going to get another V70, I made sure I got one with all the toys wanted on it - HID Xenon lamps was a must. Bought an SE LUX.

What I didn't realise pre-facelift non-sensus cars have a button on the dash for the ABL?

Post-facelift non-sensus cars don't have this button. So I assumed, I had bought a car with xenons but no ABL. I had bought a car with ABL, all xenon equipped cars have ABL don't they? However, the ABL functions was now an option on the menu system through the head unit?

Dunno much about, so going to have a mooch around.
uknowiama is offline   Reply With Quote