Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo S40 1.8 2006 PCV Valve & Hose Replacement

Views : 2518

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 25th, 2019, 13:12   #1
brunocar5

Default Volvo S40 1.8 2006 PCV Valve & Hose Replacement

Hi all, wanted to post to possibly help anyone out there that is thinking about changing out their PCV Valve, or performing the delete by on the swirly flaps on the inlet manifold.

I basically failed the emissions test, quite badly on my MOT and decided to try and reduce the emissions. I done basic oil/filter, air filter and spark plug change, which actually made a big difference after a good thrape down the highway.

I did some further research and found that I was blowing quite badly out the oil filler cap, so decided to try replacing the PCV Valve.

I posted on here in another thread on the location of the valve and was pointed to the following video:

https://youtu.be/vBxm5QjD0PY

This is basically a Mazda 'L' engine and used by several companies, with their own little quirks.

The problem with replacing the PCV Valve is that it is sat right behind the inlet manifold (the black lump at the front of the engine).

The video above looked quite straight forward, but I've never tried anything like this on a car, and the whole process took me 2 days to complete, granted the weather on day 1 was shocking and I had to do this outside on my drive, but make sure you allow time.

I will post some pics, which will show the oil seperator where the valve sits on top, and various other photos which might help. The bolts holding the manifold onto the engine are in a different place, with the worst one located in the center down a small hole, see pic, this is really tricky to get to, if you look down the side of the manifold with a torch you will see it.

There is less room to move the manifold than the ford, you just have to use brut force but be careful with the cabling loom.

I took the opportunity to remove the swirly flaps too, as I dont plan on taking off the manifold ever again, as they have been known to cause issues when they break off and shred the engine, video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amRXA22ofds

If you attempt this, then I would be willing to answer any questions to help.

The upside, it passed the emissions test after doing this.

Good luck.

Last edited by brunocar5; Jan 25th, 2019 at 14:00.
brunocar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brunocar5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 13:57   #2
brunocar5

I have uploaded the photos here:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/169548668@N08/630h06

You will notice the bolt positions on the inlet menifold, and the awkward one highlighted in blue.
brunocar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brunocar5 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2019, 14:44   #3
Branan walls

Default Pcv valve hose replacement on a 1.8 Volvo S40 2005

Hi I was wandering where I could find the pcv hose I have searched everywhere and could not find it. I know that they use the same parts as the Mondeo and other cars, but them hoses look to small for my valve.
Branan walls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 20:58   #4
Jaston10078

Hi brunocar5, how has your car been since removing the flaps? Any issues with emmisions on the MOT? Doing my pcv valve soon
Jaston10078 is offline   Reply With Quote