Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 832659

Replies : 6309

Users Viewing This Thread : Laird Scooby, Othen

Old Sep 30th, 2021, 13:38   #1061
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Simply the best?

See the bits i've ringed and then the jamb above the wavy blue line, rusty!

If that's the ebst, i'd hate to see the worst!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2021, 13:52   #1062
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Simply the best?

See the bits i've ringed and then the jamb above the wavy blue line, rusty!

If that's the ebst, i'd hate to see the worst!
That red GLT down Worcestershire had gone in just the same place. If I remember that was another "snip" at £3200,
Moomoo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2021, 14:01   #1063
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
That red GLT down Worcestershire had gone in just the same place. If I remember that was another "snip" at £3200,
It seems to be a common place on 245s, i remember Chris (can't think of his screen name but sure Alan knows who i mean) who also bought a red 245 on a C plate had rust problems there.

If, as the seller claims, this car is "simply the best" i would expect that to have been treated inside and out and repainted, even if the paint didn't match it would be a reasonable excuse as to why. That said, it would be better if that rust wasn't there to start with! In other words, treated with Dinitrol or some similar product many moons ago and retreated if/when necessary.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 1st, 2021, 17:15   #1064
Moomoo
VOC Member

[QUOTE=Othen;2774306]This estate might interest you Andrew:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234209416...53.m1438.l2649

... it does look like a genuine and well looked after motor car. I have no idea what this one might go for - personally I'd have thought it was worth about £5,000, but there is a similar one advertised for £10,000 at the moment (I doubt it will sell at that price though).

It is a dealer selling this car, the irritating part is that he/she probably gave someone a grand for it as a trade-in and is now expecting to make a killing.

£5100 , reserve not met. Thought it would be. We'll see.

More and more interesting!
Old Oct 3rd, 2021, 06:37   #1065
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
It seems to be a common place on 245s, i remember Chris (can't think of his screen name but sure Alan knows who i mean) who also bought a red 245 on a C plate had rust problems there.

If, as the seller claims, this car is "simply the best" i would expect that to have been treated inside and out and repainted, even if the paint didn't match it would be a reasonable excuse as to why. That said, it would be better if that rust wasn't there to start with! In other words, treated with Dinitrol or some similar product many moons ago and retreated if/when necessary.
Quote:
This estate might interest you Andrew:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234209416...53.m1438.l2649

... it does look like a genuine and well looked after motor car. I have no idea what this one might go for - personally I'd have thought it was worth about £5,000, but there is a similar one advertised for £10,000 at the moment (I doubt it will sell at that price though).

It is a dealer selling this car, the irritating part is that he/she probably gave someone a grand for it as a trade-in and is now expecting to make a killing.

£5100 , reserve not met. Thought it would be. We'll see.

More and more interesting!
Good morn Andrew and Dave,

... bidding seems to have stalled a bit at £5,101 on this one - but there is still another 6 days to go.

I do remember Chris and his 245 Dave - and he did have a lot of rust problems in the rear of the car. It does indeed look as if this motor car may be heading the same way (when the rust starts coming through the surface the iceberg underneath often needs expensive treatment).

I wonder what the dealer is expecting to get for this one (the reserve has not been met yet)? We see quite a few 'simply the best'/'stunning'/'time warp' old Volvos is these pages, often people want far too much money for them (in my humble opinion). Here is another one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255159403...97.m4902.l9144

... it looks like a nice car, but I think £7,000 is too rich for it. Again, the dealer probably paid someone £1,500 for it as a PX.

Time for Bob's first walk, then later I'm off to Brum for a VOC/V3M meeting at the Black Country museum. It is mainly for 300 series motor cars but Luke and I are gate-crashing with a 940 and a 244. It will be a nice run out for the RB - I've been minimising on use (using my pushbike instead for the local errands the RB normally does) lately.

:-)
Old Oct 3rd, 2021, 08:00   #1066
Othen
Premier Member

Default Quel surprise!

I've just noticed eBay has sent me an email saying this motor car failed to sell during its first 28 days of being advertised and so has been re-listed:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203591034...2Cchnl%3Dmkcid

... £10,000 for a 29 year old car, I'm not surprised it didn't sell! I think this may be one of those motor cars we see advertised for months or years (like the £8,000 saloon in Wellingborough).

:-)

PS. I notice the ad says the motor car is up for auction on 5 October (Tuesday). If I remember I'll look it up afterwards and see what it made.

PPS. I've found the auction, the estimate is £8-9,000 plus 15.6% fees:

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...3-ada800c8cd59

Last edited by Othen; Oct 3rd, 2021 at 08:22. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2021, 08:53   #1067
Moomoo
VOC Member

[QUOTE=Othen;2774978]Good morn Andrew and Dave,

... bidding seems to have stalled a bit at £5,101 on this one - but there is still another 6 days to go.

I do remember Chris and his 245 Dave - and he did have a lot of rust problems in the rear of the car. It does indeed look as if this motor car may be heading the same way (when the rust starts coming through the surface the iceberg underneath often needs expensive treatment).

I wonder what the dealer is expecting to get for this one (the reserve has not been met yet)? We see quite a few 'simply the best'/'stunning'/'time warp' old Volvos is these pages, often people want far too much money for them (in my humble opinion). Here is another one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255159403...97.m4902.l9144

... it looks like a nice car, but I think £7,000 is too rich for it. Again, the dealer probably paid someone £1,500 for it as a PX.

I half expected the red 245 to have a silly reserve on it, nature of the seller. He always wants top dollar.
The 240 at Nottingham is a bit dear but my, my it is nice!

Hope Bob enjoys his walk and trust you and the RB have a good day!
Old Oct 3rd, 2021, 09:19   #1068
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Certainly price is an issue for this one. £1,400 is quite steep for a not very well looked after, old, tired estate car. As I said above, last week's 'sale' was probably just shill bidding.

Alan
£1651, this time. How much next time?
Old Oct 3rd, 2021, 17:54   #1069
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

I half expected the red 245 to have a silly reserve on it, nature of the seller. He always wants top dollar.
The 240 at Nottingham is a bit dear but my, my it is nice!

Hope Bob enjoys his walk and trust you and the RB have a good day!
Many thanks. It was a really nice day out - good to see Luke and also to meet Alf (who had found a spare offside door mirror for me - many thanks).

Bob had a nice day here (I couldn't really pretend he was an assistance dog!) - he has been walked and I suspect a bit pampered by his auntie Sheena (neighbour and dog walking friend).

Everyone has had a lovely day.

Alan
Old Oct 3rd, 2021, 17:57   #1070
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
£1651, this time. How much next time?
... yes, we may see it again yet!

Alan