Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 832695

Replies : 6310

Users Viewing This Thread : 4x4, Andymharrison, ITSv40, Laird Scooby, Othen, Paulk

Old Sep 21st, 2020, 10:51   #41
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
I didn't know that, 'L.S.'.

We (Linda) have a '95 Saab 3.0 V6 'Griffin' which she has owned since 2011 with no sign of H.G. problems. (We were looking for a late 964 or S90 at the time, but could not find one). The 3.0 'six' has a similar specific output to her earlier 2.3 FPT 'four', but is a much more pleasant car to drive.

It's one major failure, apart from the usual minor irritations which are a part of almost every 'old' car, was that of the water cooled oil cooler which sits deep down in the vee. It was of aluminum and was, I believe, the subject of a recall when the car was new. We obtained a stainless one from Sweden and to date that has proved entirely satisfactory.

Regards, John.
The 3.0 is nowhere near as susceptible John, it seems to have much better cooling on the heads. I don't think the Vectra ever got the 3.0 (might be wrong) but i know the Omegas did and generally was considered "the" engine to have if you were going to have a V6 Omega.
Obviously in a much lower state of tune if your 3.0 is a similar output to the 2.3 HPT so that will reduce stresses/temperatures etc as well.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 10:54   #42
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Plinge View Post
The price of everything appears to be going up - and I mean everything. "Classic" cars (even those that are not remotely "classic") are listed at ridiculous prices that they probably never realise, however, I have just seen this on eBay and I have to say it's a total and utter pi**-take....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1993-Volv...kAAOSwyG1fWhWk

The 240 is undoubtedly a super car - I've had three and wish I'd kept at least two of them, however, this car just isn't worth this stupid price. If you list a car at this price you deserve to take the consequent flak for it....joker!
This is a trend on ebay at the moment , traders are buying forgotten classic cars and offer the owner a good price they cant refuse say £2000 , and clean it up and offer it for sale at say £7000 ... it's been happening for a couple of years now . people then see this and put their own cars up for sale at that price and it is deemed to be the value so people pay it ..
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 10:59   #43
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I suspect he probably aspired to Porsche ownership Alan but in the meantime, deicded if he couldn't enjoy one, neither could you. It's along similar lines to "if i can't have it, nobody else is going to have it".

Whilst incinvenient, i think a tyre is probably a small price to pay compared to what he could have done but also if you had gone to the police, i suspect they may have taken the view that you could have easily run over the nail and the guy was probably innocent.

... I think the CCTV would have been pretty convincing evidence Dave. No matter though, I didn't think the police would have been interested in £100 worth of damage and even if it ended up in front of the magistrate that would not have helped me recover the money (and the chap might have got a warning or a community sentence ... so what).

I think you are right, the chap was just envious and not used to living in a better off neighbourhood. If he had done any real damage I'd have been sharpening my divers' knife.

:-)
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 11:09   #44
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I didn't realise you'd caught him on video Alan, maybe a YouTube video of the oik perpetrating the crime would be good!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 11:28   #45
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I didn't realise you'd caught him on video Alan, maybe a YouTube video of the oik perpetrating the crime would be good!
That was a year or so ago Dave. If I'd had any idea how to publish a You Tube video at that time I might have done it out of badness!

I wonder though - as you alluded to at the start, would attracting attention to my car (and its number plate) and house have backfired - perhaps I'd have had a few more oiks hanging around as a result? The culprit must have known about the CCTV, so he might have even reveled in the notoriety if I'd published it.

It is a slightly sad indictment on human society (the problem is not limited to this country) - that we have to protect nice things from envious hands and eyes. I suppose envy and greed are just human traits that people have not grown out of since the stone age.

No matter, I lock up the Porsche and my bikes (the bikes aren't worth much, but they are easy to steal and I'm too emotionally attached to all 3 to risk seeing them being ridden around the woods by some 15 year old oik). The Skoda is too wonderfully nondescript to be of interest to thieves, and no oik would be seen dead in the RB - so those two live on the drive.

Nearly time for Bob's midday walk, it is a lovely day out.

:-)
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 11:37   #46
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
.... Although my NCB would not have been affected, I'm pretty sure my premium would have gone up for all my cars and bikes (x6). ...

True.

Thank you for that useful post. Some members might not be aware of that wrinkle re the oh so wonderful protected no claims bonus offered by insurers.

EDIT: oops but beware. There might be a disclosure obligation to at least tell the insurer. Hey noni noni ....

Comrade Stephen Edwin

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Sep 21st, 2020 at 11:59.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 13:12   #47
Dippydog
Premier Member

Omega V6 3L had a spate about the '98 model year of head gasket problems mainly for some reason on the n/s bank but no real problems in that regard before or after.The 3L omega was rated something around 208bhp[I have seen 211bhp quoted also.Early Vectras could be had with 2.5 V6 version while later Vectras could be had with a 3.2 V6 version.Oddly the short lived Signum could be had with a 2.8 turbo V6 version.Calibra also had a 2.5 V6 variant.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 15:52   #48
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
Omega V6 3L had a spate about the '98 model year of head gasket problems mainly for some reason on the n/s bank but no real problems in that regard before or after.The 3L omega was rated something around 208bhp[I have seen 211bhp quoted also.Early Vectras could be had with 2.5 V6 version while later Vectras could be had with a 3.2 V6 version.Oddly the short lived Signum could be had with a 2.8 turbo V6 version.Calibra also had a 2.5 V6 variant.
That's very true about the 1998 3.0 Omegas, got them all a bad name at one point but it was soon cleared up. Can't remember the nature of the problem but i seem to recall it was an easy fix.
I think the 3.2V6 was the Izusu lump from the Trooper/Monterey (Vauxhalls badge-engineered Trooper) but i might be wrong, might have more Cadillac and Holden DNA than Izusu!
If memory serves the Calibra and Cavalier Mk3 2.5 V6 had a different version of the 2.5 engine used in the Omegas and Vectras but i'm too hazy on that one now to remember properly.

Old Sep 21st, 2020, 20:50   #49
Dippydog
Premier Member

You could well be right about the Calibra/Cavalier engines although I think they all came under the Ecotec banner.The later 2.6/3.2 V6s used in the Omega were I believe tuned for more bottom end torque than the 2.5/3.0 and the 2.6/3.2 were "drive by wire" rather than cable operated throttle of the 2.5/3.0.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 21:08   #50
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
You could well be right about the Calibra/Cavalier engines although I think they all came under the Ecotec banner.The later 2.6/3.2 V6s used in the Omega were I believe tuned for more bottom end torque than the 2.5/3.0 and the 2.6/3.2 were "drive by wire" rather than cable operated throttle of the 2.5/3.0.
I'd forgotten the EcoTech series, gutless wonders which is probably why i forgot them!

Took a 130bhp 2.0 8 valve and reduced it to a smidge over 100bhp with allegedly more torque low down but wouldn't pull your granny off the toilet.

The original Family II 1.6 carb engine (in 1981/2/3) was 90bhp, by the time they'd added injection and Ecotech is was struggling to 82bhp and was again, gutless.
They started faffing about with them from about 84 onwards until they'd destroyed the free-revving nature of the engine by about 1988.