Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

First time DIY... all did NOT go to plan!

Views : 28557

Replies : 92

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 28th, 2021, 14:49   #21
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
I'm most definitely capable of making a mess no matter how well I think I've positioned the oil tray. We were given a large bag of cat litter a while ago so now I just put a layer down before I start ready to absorb the spills, if I don't spill anything it can be swept up and used again.
when you graduate to the
Large area of cardboard under the engine bay + car (its Not just you Laird who does that)
cat litter around the edges
Bag of cat litter on standby

and still manage do to a "me" and have an amoco cadiz moment
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 29th, 2021, 16:08   #22
ilmiont
VOC Member

The new sump plug and the twist sockets arrived.

Car's in the air at the moment. The twist socket seems to have fit the rounded sump plug OK but still absolutely no movement with my wrench.

I put my torque wrench on it - I know you're not meant to use them for loosening - and it's clicking at 50nm with no movement.

I suppose I should stop - it's clearly over-torqued and I presume if it comes out it's going to bring the pan threads with it? Is there a safe Nm threshold to go to? VIDA states tighten to 38nm; therefore I've given it 1.3x the design spec torque so far.

It looks like I'm going to be forced to use vacuum suction only on this car - can anyone recommend a specific model known to work well on P2 petrols (preferably with next day delivery available)?

Last edited by ilmiont; Sep 29th, 2021 at 16:18.
ilmiont is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ilmiont For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 29th, 2021, 16:31   #23
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmiont View Post

Car's in the air at the moment. The twist socket seems to have fit the rounded sump plug OK but still absolutely no movement with my wrench.

I put my torque wrench on it - I know you're not meant to use them for loosening - and it's clicking at 50nm with no movement.

I suppose I should stop - it's clearly over-torqued and I presume if it comes out it's going to bring the pan threads with it? Is there a safe Nm threshold to go to? VIDA states tighten to 38nm; therefore I've given it 1.3x the design spec torque so far.

It looks like I'm going to be forced to use vacuum suction only on this car - can anyone recommend a specific model known to work well on P2 petrols (preferably with next day delivery available)?
It isn't torque as such that you need in this instance but a good sharp tap on the spanner to break the seal. Once you have loosened the plug, it should undo without much force if the threads are still intact. If it feels tight to undo after it has been started, I would retighten as there is most likely something wrong with the sump threads. The threads will only be damaged by frequent overtightening or cross threading the plug as it is inserted.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 29th, 2021, 16:58   #24
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:

I use one of these for the gearbox ATF in my 760, other pumps are similar/same and all will take ~20-25 minutes to empty the sump :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324557595638

If you've had ~38lbft on the sump plug and it's not moving, i would suggest trying a bit more like ~50lbft (~70Nm) as the monkey that tightened may have been King Kong instead of Bubbles the Chimp. However if that doesn't show movement more or less straightaway, i would do as you're suggesting and opt for the vacuum removal.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 29th, 2021, 18:04   #25
ilmiont
VOC Member

I'm giving up. Too much is at stake as I'm going away on Saturday. Conversely the oil has done 7,000 miles and I'm planning to do up to 3,000 miles over the next fortnight, if the petrol shortage eases. Oil is now a darkening brown on the dipstick. It's 5W-30 topped-up with about 1.5l of 0W-30. Unfortunately I think I'm just going to have to call it a day and take her as she is then sort this mess out once I'm home and not really needing the car. I thought this would be a simple pre-holiday service! Not got the spark plugs in either, oh well, on the up, she is running fine so I'll try to focus on that.

Got the bigger torque wrench on it - feeling like I'm starting to abuse things - and that's clicking at 70nm. No sign the plug will budge and the head's getting really mauled. Tried tapping it, and tapping the end of a wrench with a rubber mallet - nothing.

Very frustrating. Madness like this is why I wanted to start doing my own work in the first place, now thwarted at the first attempt having spent an extra £50 this week on twist sockets, wrenches, genuine drain plug and next day delivery and taken an afternoon off work hoping it would make a difference.

Now I'm off to work out whether a DIY sump replacement would be doable!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilmiont For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 29th, 2021, 18:15   #26
ITSv40
VOC Member

I really feel for you with all the frustrations on what should have been a simple job. However, your immediate plan of action is the best in the circumstances. Good luck with the trip.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2021, 01:29   #27
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-TP69.../dp/B07GZHCRJF
2004+2005 V50s with the 2.4I pertrol engine
*possibly next day or 3-4days depending on stock level/prime membership

not a elec one tho so takes pumping and possibly longer to work than the elec

IF when you return from your trip you feel like tackling the plug again
a breaker bar , Very close fit socket and Lightly tap the breaker with a dead blow hammer can sometimes shock the bolt loose, tap+tap not "hammer" it tho.

Does sound as if its been way over tightened with whatever they used, good luck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2021, 07:39   #28
Stu B
Master Member

Hi Ilmiont,

I share your frustration too - I’ve been there many times, best laid plans etc. If I were you, as you suggest, I’d leave the car as is, go on your trip and start again when you’re back refreshed.

I use a Sealey TP69 manual extractor and have found it will empty any vehicle oil sump I’ve tried it on (various Volvos, VW vans, MINI, BMW, Fiat…) in about 10-20 mins after a couple of a swift pumps on the handle while you have a cup of tea.

All the best, enjoy your trip!

Stu
Old Sep 30th, 2021, 10:47   #29
MDS40

[QUOTE=Laird Scooby;2774200]I use one of these for the gearbox ATF in my 760, other pumps are similar/same and all will take ~20-25 minutes to empty the sump :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324557595638

That the one i use.

As mines an auto its not easy to drive up the ramps without going over to top, then faff around removing the undertray before even getting started on the sump plug.

Some previous cars include: Jaguar x type: Mazda 6 : Mazda 626: Ford Sierra 2.0: Toyota Celica ST 1600 : Hillman Avenger: Triumph Spitfire:
Oh and a Volvo 340 GL 1984 company car from new.
MDS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MDS40 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2021, 14:32   #30
richmac

Hi Ilmiont,

The very best of luck with the DIY. It's definitely worht persevering.

With that in mind, can I be the unpopular one to ask the obvious question, purely because we've all been upside down for the first time under a UK condition Volvo? Do you have a bi-directional torque wrench or could you be turning the bolt the wrong way?

Best regards,

Rich.
richmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richmac For This Useful Post: