Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 drivetrain swap

Views : 666

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 23rd, 2021, 23:25   #1
ferg55

Default D5 drivetrain swap

Evening all, some techincal advice please on something I'm considering...

I have been offered a low mileage 2007 S80 D5 Geartronic (185hp) of same year / engine / gearbox as my current one, and for a giveaway price. It's been meticulously maintained, and recently had timing belt and brakes done.

But it's nowhere near the spec of mine, which has some nice options like upgraded Sovereign hide, BLIS, 4C chassis and the optional turning version of the xenon lamps. However mileage on mine is at around 265k miles, and its in need of a new timing belt etc, new brakes, one driveshaft is clicking, a front wheel bearing is just beginning to rumble. The engine is quite noisy now, and the gearbox has "character". I'm happy to spend money on it, but wary that anything I spend could be only short lived if the engine / gearbox are nearing the end of their life.

So I'm considering buying the other car and having the entire engine/gearbox/running gear and front suspension/brakes etc transferred over to mine, all still bolted to the donor cars front subframe where possible and dropped out in situ and transferred over. I presume the steering, cooling & a/c system could come too. I'd benefit from a lot of low mileage components this way, and I'm assuming it would be a fairly straight forward job for a competent mechanic, but I'd welcome your views. I'd also like to confirm how straight forward it would be for a garage with VIDA to get the ECM/TCM etc to talk to the modules in the rest of the car - presumably a routine procedure as per any other engine / gearbox replacement?

I'm not sure yet what I'd do with the remainder of the donor car, but likely sell it as a whole for breaking.

Appreciate there's plenty of argument as to whether it's worth the cost, but as I said my S80 if fairly unique. Plus it only had one previous owner, I've become attached to it over the years and with a toddler and house renovation I don't have the time or appetite to look at replacement cars, especially with prices as high as they are. So I will either replace what needs doing individually, or do something like the above which, whilst undoubtedly more expensive, could be better value overall. I also like the idea of restoring my old S80! So just interested on advice surrounding the feasibility rather than whether it'd be worth it

Thanks in advance.
ferg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 12:30   #2
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

It’s physically possible isn’t it. But the cost of the new car, and far more importantly the amount of time required would allow you to replace and renew anything of wear in your current vehicle. Let’s also not forget you have a high milage reliable car with no guarantee the newer lower milage one will be as reliable.

For me, if I was retired, worked part time etc I may give it a go (I wouldn’t but you could).

If I was working full time etc and had a busy life I wouldn’t contemplate it to end up with the same engine configuration with worn parts at the end.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 20:59   #3
apersson850
Premier Member

Remember that you can't change the car config just like that. It either takes Volvo's cooperation (they'll not do it) or quite some insight into the system.
Without updating the car config the computers will not talk to each other properly, when you change the setup your car has.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 21:00   #4
ferg55

Thanks for the reply XC90 - I wouldn't be doing the work myself, I'd entrust that to a Volvo indy most likely. Yes it'd cost, but I could start replacing only the bits that need doing and that cost will soon add up even before I consider an engine & gearbox overhaul. In that situation, I'd be left with the rest of the running gear still at 265k miles and therefore with unknown longevity. My gut feeling is transferring everything over from the donor car, in situ, still bolted to the front subframe, would be a fairly straight forward job, the benefit being all important components are replaced including engine and gearbox, rather than just a few. I reckon it'd cost me around an extra £1k over and above replacing just the essential bits that need doing (belts, brakes, wheel bearing, driveshaft) which I'd consider worthwhile.

Can anyone advise on how straight forward this would be?
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 21:03   #5
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg55 View Post
Thanks for the reply XC90 - I wouldn't be doing the work myself, I'd entrust that to a Volvo indy most likely. Yes it'd cost, but I could start replacing only the bits that need doing and that cost will soon add up even before I consider an engine & gearbox overhaul. In that situation, I'd be left with the rest of the running gear still at 265k miles and therefore with unknown longevity. My gut feeling is transferring everything over from the donor car, in situ, still bolted to the front subframe, would be a fairly straight forward job, the benefit being all important components are replaced including engine and gearbox, rather than just a few. I reckon it'd cost me around an extra £1k over and above replacing just the essential bits that need doing (belts, brakes, wheel bearing, driveshaft) which I'd consider worthwhile.

Yes, Graham at Horton Cars. We're all amateurs.
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 21:08   #6
ferg55

Quote:
Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post
Remember that you can't change the car config just like that. It either takes Volvo's cooperation (they'll not do it) or quite some insight into the system.
Without updating the car config the computers will not talk to each other properly, when you change the setup your car has.
Hi apersson, please can you explain more? I presume an indy with VIDA would be able to get the ECM/TCM to talk to the rest of the car - engines and gearboxes get changed routinely. Likewise, any other "coded" component - perhaps the steering box?
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 21:11   #7
ferg55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
Yes, Graham at Horton Cars. We're all amateurs.
Yep, I thought I'd give him a bell. Thanks.
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 21:29   #8
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Yep, I thought I'd give him a bell. Thanks.
Tell us how long he sucks his teeth for!
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2021, 12:28   #9
apersson850
Premier Member

Quote:
I presume an indy with VIDA would be able to get the ECM/TCM to talk to the rest of the car - engines and gearboxes get changed routinely.
Yes, I read the post on my phone and misunderstood it a bit. I got the impression that you wanted to transfer functionality like 4C from a car that had it (obviously) to a car that had not. But now I realize you are just moving things that are equivalent. Do you then even need to move the controllers?`At least you are moving the same kind of controllers, not adding things that weren't there from the beginning. Then you don't change the configuration, and everything is much easier.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2021, 18:18   #10
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:

I have changed engines before On a vehicle, gearbox etc etc and no to be done properly by a good garage it won’t be £1,000 (engine and gear box yes, easily 1k), but to start adding in 4c and such like not a chance.

If you are pulling out the engine and gearbox you would want to change cam belts, fluids, have they both ABS? Wiring looks, oil coolers etc etc. There are always subtle differences that add up.

I thought you meant to do it yourself.

I would imagine that a dealership doing it is a no. I would also expect most competent dealerships to refuse to do it.
I am really interested to hear how you get on? It may be that the garage are more interested than me but I would say no straight off.

Let me know how you get on and only go to a very reputable place as I am sure you know.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote