Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tools

Views : 2813

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 25th, 2021, 12:50   #11
Whippy
Premier Member

Tools that you need to rely on or use really regularly it's worth spending as much as you can afford, on things that you might need once in a blue moon? Not so much. When I left school my first job was spannering, I used to put money aside for when the van came round and I'd buy maybe one item at a time. Still got most of them.
Old Nov 25th, 2021, 12:57   #12
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Oh yeah - the ratchet drive on my Draper gave up in year 2 or 3, I've replaced that several times but now use a Britool one that I've had for about 20 years.

Agree on second hand tools - I'd rather have a second hand Halfords/Draper socket set than a new Silverline whatever....
If you are a trawler of fleabay or car boots , some old British stuff, Bedford, Gordon , Tipco, King Dick, Dronfield Tool Co. was all good. Metric sizes might be less numerous but are out their.

Early Kamasa was very good.

You can't have too many variations of tools!
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2021, 13:17   #13
kiloran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephend View Post
ps sorry to hear about your hand/wrist problems, kiloran. If you're having problems like that, you might want to be wary of vibrating tools like impact wrenches.

I've had to give up using a strimmer: if I use one for any length of time, I lose feeling and control in my hands for an hour or two afterwards. I'm trying to limit angle grinder use for similar reasons.
I do a lot of cycling which also doesn't help. It's the tiny vibrations (aka road buzz) which causes most numbness. Keyboard-induced palsies are the 21st century's white finger.
Old Nov 25th, 2021, 13:21   #14
kiloran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
If you are a trawler of fleabay or car boots , some old British stuff, Bedford, Gordon , Tipco, King Dick, Dronfield Tool Co. was all good. Metric sizes might be less numerous but are out their.

I've got my Dad's Stahlwille socket set from the '50s but it's imperial. When I was a kid there was much amusement with Dad saying "time to get the Stan Willy out". Yeah, we were easily amused back then. Got some vintage King Dick stuff too which is very high quality (and yes, another amusing name)
Old Nov 25th, 2021, 13:24   #15
kiloran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
Tools that you need to rely on or use really regularly it's worth spending as much as you can afford, on things that you might need once in a blue moon? Not so much. When I left school my first job was spannering, I used to put money aside for when the van came round and I'd buy maybe one item at a time. Still got most of them.
I've taken this approach to cycle tools. £80 allen/torx key set because they're used all the time, £100 torque wrench because you can easily destroy modern carbon frames/components through over-tightening. And a length of polypipe for knocking out headset cups because that's literally something you do once every five years or so.
Old Nov 25th, 2021, 14:40   #16
andy_d
Premier Member

as a few have said halfords Advanced range - not bad for the £, esp with the "break it - replaced" nature of
there torque wrenches Do come with a calibration cert that Is worth the paper its printed on, how often you get them re-checked/calibrated is up to you/your wallet

havent *yet managed to twist the square drive off any halfords advanced extension bars for the sockets, or wreck the ratchets in the drive handles,
cant say the same for "cheap local tool shop" items,

maybe look to Decent work gloves + wrist supports to help minimise the "white finger" issue,?
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2021, 22:36   #17
stephend
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloran View Post
I've got my Dad's Stahlwille socket set from the '50s but it's imperial. When I was a kid there was much amusement with Dad saying "time to get the Stan Willy out". Yeah, we were easily amused back then. Got some vintage King Dick stuff too which is very high quality (and yes, another amusing name)
We had some contractors in at work. Every time the boss needed a Stanley knife, he'd say "Accrington Stanley!". The look on his workmates' faces every time he said it was a picture...
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stephend For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2021, 23:27   #18
Steve 940
Premier Member

Hi Kiloran,

Regarding axle stands, I received last week a set of SGS Engineering 6 ton stands, (3 ton per stand) and low profile trolley jack, used for the first time today to change my rear springs that I had put saloon springs on in a senior moment when ordering over t'internet.

Had a very good safety mechanism of U shaped pin, so it located in two of the holes in the sliding portion of the stands. Good area of flat metal on each foot also to spread the loading.

Can't obviously moment on lomg term, but for £145 or so for the set, it was good value. Trolley jack is about 3 times as wide as wide as I was expecting, and about 10 times heavier, perhaps SGS is the new Volvo of tools.

Not linked in any way to SGS, delivery not quite so good, delivered the jack, and left stands on the van, I think perhaps with the jack weight he'd had enough.

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 14:54   #19
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Hi Kiloran,

Regarding axle stands, I received last week a set of SGS Engineering 6 ton stands, (3 ton per stand) and low profile trolley jack, used for the first time today to change my rear springs that I had put saloon springs on in a senior moment when ordering over t'internet.

Had a very good safety mechanism of U shaped pin, so it located in two of the holes in the sliding portion of the stands. Good area of flat metal on each foot also to spread the loading.

Can't obviously moment on lomg term, but for £145 or so for the set, it was good value. Trolley jack is about 3 times as wide as wide as I was expecting, and about 10 times heavier, perhaps SGS is the new Volvo of tools.

Not linked in any way to SGS, delivery not quite so good, delivered the jack, and left stands on the van, I think perhaps with the jack weight he'd had enough.

Cheers
Steve
try one of there mechanic's seats,, the round one with the square base
it rolls, it works, it has padding that Doesnt go flat in 2.3seconds, and built Well,
the other items ,3ton axel stands and chocks i have from them "happy with those" as well
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 20:46   #20
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post

Yes... all of the above... drinking and bidding on e-bay etc.

I currently have i.r.o. 11 socket sets which are either older Draper (and one Toolstar) and Halfords. Also extra sets of torx, hex, security bit, and deep sockets, impact sockets, various extensions and wobble bars. I never struggle to find something for that awkward bolt...

With regard to the Draper socket set I've owned since I was 15, I found a "new old stock" one on e-bay about 5 years ago which I bought for ~ £120. It was pointless really as I'll never use it and it's not an ornament. I've been using the first one for longer than I will likely live (or be able to work on cars (or be allowed to own a car?)). I bought that at the time as I was working on a lot of old grass cutting machinery and needed Whitworth (WW) sizes (if you're 40 or under, Google it....)

At the time I wanted it because it was in a metal box and I'm sure that's why it's still in use....

....and I don't work as an engineer anymore, anything I do now is a hobby, for a friend or old customer.

I also once had a vintage Stanley Professional socket set that I was given which date back to the 1970's but I loaned it to a friend who had it stolen from his shed.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Nov 26th, 2021 at 20:52.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post: