Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Built in fuel additive system???

Views : 18705

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 10th, 2009, 20:32   #1
toolbah
Master Member

Talking Built in fuel additive system???

Got talking to a chap today who has a S40 1.6D who he bought from a Ford main dealer. They serviced the car as per schedual prior to him collecting the car.
The following day the car played up and started to splutter etc etc. It turns out, according to him, that the Ford dealer did not refill a tank near the rear axel that supplies an addative to the diesel prior to entering the engine and requires topping up during routine service intervals!!
Is this true or is he winding me up???
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 20:42   #2
toolbah
Master Member

Talking

Just found some posts about this system!! Thanx.
Interesting tho. Can you get this fuel additive from anywhere other than the dealers??
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 22:36   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

yes this must be topped up at 36000 mile intervals or you break down just after the following service . A number of manufacturers use this system but there are a number of different grades so would stick with the genuine volvo re-fill kit .
The FORD garage wouldnt have been able to do it properly anyway as it needs connecting to the volvo computer to reset the additive tank level gauge .
Old Oct 11th, 2009, 08:55   #4
alfiembra

This is a new one on me, I too have a 1.6D S40 and didn't know I had this system on it. I have, occassionally, been adding Millers 4 sport to the odd tank of diesel on mine would could this be detrimental in any way considering there appears to be an additive going through already.

Alan
alfiembra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2009, 09:02   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

volvo forbid any engine oil or fuel additives , and to be honest they are un necessary . if there is a warranty claim with an engine or turbo and traces are found they will reject the claim ...
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 08:21   #6
fatt133

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbah View Post
Got talking to a chap today who has a S40 1.6D who he bought from a Ford main dealer. They serviced the car as per schedual prior to him collecting the car.
The following day the car played up and started to splutter etc etc. It turns out, according to him, that the Ford dealer did not refill a tank near the rear axel that supplies an addative to the diesel prior to entering the engine and requires topping up during routine service intervals!!
Is this true or is he winding me up???
Check your engine type, I have a similar car and have been quoted £120 for topping the additive tank up during a major service that's become due. The reasons for doing so are in the Volvo website under Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). Note, if your car needs additive there is a need to to change the DPF at 75000 miles (I don't know how much it costs for a Volvo but for my sons Audi £1000).
fatt133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 15:43   #7
Welton
Premier Member

This DPF system is like the one Peugeot introduced on the late 2.2 HDi's and it's a pain in the backside as the car ages and in some cases could wipe out your fuel savings overnight.

There's a re-map floating about for the Peugeot system that makes the ECU 'forget' it's there completely and you also crudely smash the DPF through with a hammer to remove the filter/restriction. The car still passes the MOT no trouble.

DPF regeneration is quite complex and looks at driving cycles, mileage, fill ups etc etc and decides when to do a 'burn off' (by injecting the Eolys fluid and raising the exhaust gas temp). I don't believe it's suited to people doing low mileages, more trouble than it's worth.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2014, 16:12   #8
kiddo

Question Additives Tank

I have a 2009 C30 DrivE 1.6d. It has just had a service and I've been told the additives tank has a leak. The repair would be somewhat costly according to the Volvo garage about £700. Does anyone know about this tank or had this work done? It has to go back in for this in the next 2 to 3 months. Do I really need it doing?
kiddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2014, 18:10   #9
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
My v50's additive tank started leaking. Tried replacing the seals on the pump where it pushes into the tank. It still leaked. Had to replace the tank, I think about £250, and took me half an hour. I had bought a volvo refill kit so transferred the old fluid to the new tank and also topped it up. Had the counter reset at the next service at volvo.
ps I think £700 sounds a tad expensive for such an easy job, worth shopping around or asking for some discount!
Iain

Last edited by IainG; Aug 30th, 2014 at 18:12.
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2014, 18:19   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddo View Post
I have a 2009 C30 DrivE 1.6d. It has just had a service and I've been told the additives tank has a leak. The repair would be somewhat costly according to the Volvo garage about £700. Does anyone know about this tank or had this work done? It has to go back in for this in the next 2 to 3 months. Do I really need it doing?
It depends on what they mean by "leak" it could be running out or it could be a tiny leak which does not drip just stain . I have seen a few with tiny leaks and they keep going with no problem .
£700 seems quite expensive! I would ask for a breakdown of the costs .