Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlight stalk flasher

Views : 510

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 28th, 2018, 19:14   #1
amazon69
Premier Member

Default Headlight stalk flasher

Evening.

I seem to have lost the ability to flash my headlights via the column stalk/indicator lever. The foot switch works fine. I've had a look at the stalk, all seems fine, I cleaned the contact, made no odds.

I was just wondering if it's possible for the relay to fail allowing the symptoms above, ie working flash on foot switch, not on stalk, or if I should be looking elsewhere.

Many thanks.

d
Old Sep 28th, 2018, 20:32   #2
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

A69;

First things first!...do you hear the Headlight Relay clack when pulling the Stalk towards yourself (even with Ign Off!)?

I expect you do not, so you might want to check Fuse 4 first...it supplies the "Relay for Headlight Signalling" and Headlights (in flashing mode only!)...and if simply turning the Fuse restores contact and sorts this issue, it time to bring All fuses and associated contacts to shiny metal, and treat ALL circular contact areas on fuses and clips with ACZP. Please let us know what you find!

Reference Wiring Diagram (I expect it will apply to your late Amazon also): http://www.sw-em.com/122S%20Wiring%20Diagram.jpg

Good Hunting!
Ron Kwas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2018, 20:45   #3
amazon69
Premier Member

Thanks Ron.

No relay noise. I have checked and twiddled fuses, no issues there, box is newish and in tip top order.
Looking at the wiring diagram I may need to check the horn earth..

Cheers

d
Old Sep 28th, 2018, 21:37   #4
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

A69;

...OK, so let's presume you are getting power to the Relay...next, I'd apply a test wire from Relay control terminal (Term 85, Gray wire) to chassis and once again see if relay clacks...if yes, look further at Stalk control black wire...as you say: Horn chassis conn...if no, verify power at Relay Term 30/51 with Voltmeter or test lamp...if no power, look further at that side of the circuit...there are only limited items in play here...

Good Hunting
Old Sep 29th, 2018, 13:25   #5
cassell
Member since 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazon69 View Post
Evening.

I seem to have lost the ability to flash my headlights via the column stalk/indicator lever. The foot switch works fine. I've had a look at the stalk, all seems fine, I cleaned the contact, made no odds.

I was just wondering if it's possible for the relay to fail allowing the symptoms above, ie working flash on foot switch, not on stalk, or if I should be looking elsewhere.

Many thanks.

d
Hi, I had exactly the same fault with my 1800ES, the headlamp flasher wasn't working but the main beam (operated by the same stalk) was perfect, as were the dipped beams.

Mine was a faulty relay, it was very corroded and powdery inside when I eventually gently prised it open. A replacement genuine Volvo relay came from Brookhouse ex stock, problem solved. The part number for my relay was 1307991, from memory around £35, yours may be different but Simon at Brookhouse will know for sure.

Hope this helps?

Paul
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2018, 15:17   #6
Faust
Master Member

Have you had your steering wheel off or removed the indicator switch recently?

The contact for the high beam flash works against the spring that sits on the steering column (does on my car, anyway). If I don't mount the indicator switch in exactly the right position then the flash will not work.

In fact, I only discovered I had a flash after owning the car for 2 years as a previous owner had not not got the switch mounted correctly...

That was a nice surprise!
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2018, 20:54   #7
amazon69
Premier Member

Cheers all,

I sorted it..bad earth to the horn.

I like a free fix
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amazon69 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2018, 15:42   #8
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Where precisely was this chassis connection?

Cheers
Old Sep 30th, 2018, 16:26   #9
amazon69
Premier Member

In my GT steering wheel which has a dodgy horn button because I don't have the fancy GT one.