Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cowley Pressed Steel P1800S

Views : 871

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 14th, 2018, 08:47   #1
Peterjohnbull
VOC Member

Default Cowley Pressed Steel P1800S

Hi

The body of my '65 P1800S was made in the Cowley plant of the Pressed Steel Company (there is a very obvious stamp in the engine bay).

Does that mean that Pressed Steel continue to make the bodies when the cars were assembled in Sweden? I had thought one of the main reasons that Jenson stopped making the P1800 was the quality issues, primarily from the manufacture of the bodies.

Perhaps I am wrong. Anyone know?

Cheers

Pete
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 10:03   #2
cassell
Member since 1988

You are correct, Pressed Steel bodies from the Linwood Plant in Scotland, not Cowley, were still supplied to Volvo for car assembly in Gothenburg up until the agreed contractual total of 6000 shells were exhausted.

As you say, Jensen had the P1800 assembly contract terminated for a variety of reasons before the 6000 car agreement was completed, body fit and finish being one of them. Presumably skilled production people in Sweden were able to correct any poor body and panel alignment etc?

Therefore a number of early 1800S models are around with the Pressed Steel identification plate on the bulkhead, we have a particularly nice example owned by a lady member in our Cheshire section of the VOC.

Paul
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cassell For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 11:19   #3
Peterjohnbull
VOC Member

Why would the car have Cowley, Oxford stamped on the plate? Was that the head office?
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 12:29   #4
cassell
Member since 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterjohnbull View Post
Why would the car have Cowley, Oxford stamped on the plate? Was that the head office?
I can't answer that one, Pressed Steel had several body plants, I recall one at Castle Vale in Birmingham which produced Austin Healey shells and the one at Linwood produced Hillman Imp shells.

They may indeed have had one at Cowley for other models but everything I've ever read about P1800 body shells has said that they were produced at Linwood?
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 13:15   #5
Peterjohnbull
VOC Member

They definitely had one in Cowley, it is where Minis are now made (albeit not proper ones). I think Cowley was the first one due to the tie in with William Morris.

So it could be that Cowley was the head office, so the engine bay stamp has that address even though it was not made there. Or, I guess it could have been made in Cowley.
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 13:48   #6
cassell
Member since 1988

This Volvo article makes reference to the first P1800 body shells being produced in Scotland prior to Volvo's own steel pressing plant at Olofstrom.

https://www.media.volvocars.com/glob...eleases/103875

Last edited by cassell; Oct 14th, 2018 at 14:20.
The Following User Says Thank You to cassell For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 15:20   #7
MAMDaveM

David Styles excellent book "Volvo 1800 The Complete Story" covers the matters relating to the body shell production in great detail outlining the issues faced by Jensen with the quality issue of the Pressed Steel body shells.

from his book...

The initial contract between Jensen Motors and Volvo was to produce 10,000 vehicles using body shells from the Pressed Steel Company's Linwood Plant. In three years Jensen manufactured 6000 P1800's before the contract was terminated early and assembly transferred to the Volvo Gothenberg factory from the beginning of April 1963 when the model changed to 1800S. Volvo continued to use the bodies supplied by the Pressed Steel company from their Scottish plant until chassis number 30000 at the end of 1969.

My own December 1963 build 1800S with chassis number 8683 has a Pressed Steel Company Cowley Oxford Plate.
MAMDaveM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MAMDaveM For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 15:21   #8
Groundes-Peace
Master Member

Cowley was the registered office for the holding company, hence the marking on your 1800S.
My car has the same on the inside of the nearside wing/engine bay.
Bodies were produce in Scotland, then shipped to Sweden for at least 2 years, after the Jensen contract ended.
Groundes-Peace is offline   Reply With Quote