Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ECC Problems / Temperature Issues

Views : 769

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 09:12   #1
TJMurphy
VOC Member

Default ECC Problems / Temperature Issues

Hi Guys,
On two or three occasions recently I've had my ECC go a little bit "scatty" on me and was wondering if this was an indication of something expensive in the pipeline. Basically, despite the temperature on both sides being set to 22 the car starts blowing cold air, at a reasonably high fan speed (not full speed). In fact I'd say it's blowing mixed cold / warm air as if it can't make up it's mind whether it needs to warm or cool the car. This morning it was doing something slightly different, though the temperature was set at 23 it didn't seem as warm as it should have been, though the fan was barely running. The passenger air vents actually had cool air coming out of them while the driver's side had warm.

The a/c was re-gassed a few months ago but this seems more like a sensor issue somewhere doesn't it? I've got no flashing lights (read somewhere that a flashing light on the A/C switch would indicate a stored code).

Thanks
Tony
TJMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 09:22   #2
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMurphy View Post
Hi Guys,
On two or three occasions recently I've had my ECC go a little bit "scatty" on me and was wondering if this was an indication of something expensive in the pipeline. Basically, despite the temperature on both sides being set to 22 the car starts blowing cold air, at a reasonably high fan speed (not full speed). In fact I'd say it's blowing mixed cold / warm air as if it can't make up it's mind whether it needs to warm or cool the car. This morning it was doing something slightly different, though the temperature was set at 23 it didn't seem as warm as it should have been, though the fan was barely running. The passenger air vents actually had cool air coming out of them while the driver's side had warm.

The a/c was re-gassed a few months ago but this seems more like a sensor issue somewhere doesn't it? I've got no flashing lights (read somewhere that a flashing light on the A/C switch would indicate a stored code).

Thanks
Tony
hi tony, regret i have never had ecc in any of my cars only air con, but i do know that some models at least have a sensor up behind the driver and/or passenger grab rail...it may be worth you giving this a clean with your hoover....
failing that im sure the more electrically minded members will be along to assist...
cheers
jod
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 09:46   #3
b1g1an

The sensor is behind the little slots on the front of ECC panel itself, there's a little fan in there that collects a lot of dust and can affect the temperature control if not cleared occasionally.

I just put the vacuum cleaner nozzle over the slots for a couple of seconds to clear it.
b1g1an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 13:45   #4
TJMurphy
VOC Member

Actually, I forgot to mention that I had in fact used the hoover on the sensor. In fact, I may be being paranoid but this may only have started after using the hoover

Thanks for the suggestions though, any others gratefully received.

Tony
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 09:57   #5
S60-MBS
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMurphy View Post
Hi Guys,

Thanks
Tony
Just had a similar experiance with my ECC too..wasnt blowing out cold air but just normal temp air..car was regassed and aircon serviced just 8 weeks ago..after few calls and afew glances at cars systems i was told my car has aircon leak or maybe its condesor is naff..costs for repair were stated £100 onwards...i remember a post by a member on here about the sensor in dash and decided to give it a clean by using a aerosol you get for cleaning computers etc..when i blasted the sensor with air a huge fluffy ball of dust flew out..on my home from work i tried out the ECC and voila! it worked just as it should
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 18:11   #6
TJMurphy
VOC Member

Thanks for that - I might give it a try. Do you mean you blew into the slot with the ECC still in place and it still managed to blow the dust bunny back towards you - would have thought it more likely to disappear down the back of the dashboard?

Actually it's been behaving itself recently - about the same time as I was getting quotes for new (ie Salvo) ECC units. Apparently VADIS has shown an intermittent temperature sensor failure and the sensor is an integral part of the whole unit - so it's an all or nothing replacement. Now I wonder if a sticky sniffer fan would fool the system to give dud sensor readings?

Tony
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 19:25   #7
4 forty
VOC Member

Default air conditioning information

this site has some usefull information/help on air conditioning.

http://www.id-usa.com/how_to.asp

paul
4 forty is offline   Reply With Quote