Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The Morbidmobile Blog

Views : 51443

Replies : 637

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 17:37   #26
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSaintJames View Post
Oh no, a bad thing just happened I've seen this picture on facebook and thought naughty, naughty thoughts! I know, I know, I'm hopeless...

A) The hearse would look really, really cool with a lift Perish the thought!!!

B) We could fit higher aspect ratio, squishier tyres to our nice 17" steel wheels, which would make it more comfortable with imperfect roads. We wouldn't go for offroad/mud grabbers but good quality, tall low rolling resistance types. You'd run into cleanrance problems

C) The extended shock absorbers supplied with the kit have longer travel = more comfort No they wouldn't. It is merely the mountings that are extended, standard suspension has an amazing amount of travel

D) Ground clearance would no longer be a problem! It's surprising how often the exhaust catches a road hump, or road when there is a sharp incline change, the long body means we have to be a bit carefui. I advised you many moons ago to revert to standard suspension all round, that advice still stands! Also fit the correct 15" wheels with 195/65/15 tyres

Obviously this will affect the handling and likely the economy aswell, but as both are pretty damn poor in the first place why not? Because you will make it seriously unsafe as well. The mods done by LCM are on a standard wheelbase so the centre of gravity remmains lower. By raising an extended chassis, the centre of gravity will be raised that much more. Also i thought the Penta conversion was in the quest for improved economy?
Comments added in red above Tom - in short, forget ever seeing that ridiculous idea and just fit the correct, normal suspension with new springs and shocks all round. Much cheaper and might even make your insurance cheaper too as you will have reverted to standard. Also saves having to fit an adjustable Panhard Rod and then set it up properly.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: