Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 Part replacement / upgrade

Views : 1215

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 10th, 2020, 13:50   #1
Gonzobard

Default 850 Part replacement / upgrade

I have a largely stock 1996 850 R which I may want to upgrade for more power. However, before that I have some further ‘get well’ issues to sort. This potentially includes a radiator replacement, coolant hoses, oil pipes etc. The question relates to using oem spec radiator or upgraded radiator, such as DO88 - is the extra expense of an upgraded radiator worth it for my needs? (any upgrade might be to 280ish hp).

Whilst replacing the radiator is it worth replacing the intercooler for new, again oem or upgraded? I do intend to fit a RIP kit, that seems a logical upgrade to make. Thanks for your thoughts.
Gonzobard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2020, 20:01   #2
winsox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzobard View Post
I have a largely stock 1996 850 R which I may want to upgrade for more power. However, before that I have some further ‘get well’ issues to sort. This potentially includes a radiator replacement, coolant hoses, oil pipes etc. The question relates to using oem spec radiator or upgraded radiator, such as DO88 - is the extra expense of an upgraded radiator worth it for my needs? (any upgrade might be to 280ish hp).

Whilst replacing the radiator is it worth replacing the intercooler for new, again oem or upgraded? I do intend to fit a RIP kit, that seems a logical upgrade to make. Thanks for your thoughts.
Is it a manual or Auto ?

is it original turbo ??

What work has it had done ?

Volvo 850R Estate 1996 Manual Conversion
SLK AMG 350 R172
winsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2020, 22:51   #3
Gonzobard

It was an auto, now converted to a manual and 16t turbo, turbo having been rebuilt. I believe it has new piston rings. It has a larger bore cat-back exhaust but a standard downpipe and recently a standard cat. I think it has a standard ecu, I have no reason to believe it has been modified (I have a limited history with the car).
Old Apr 10th, 2020, 23:13   #4
Cookeh
Premier Member

Definitely won't be standard ECU. At the minimum the ECU will have been modified to trick the auto config into working with manual.

If the upgrades are certain to occur then there is no harm in plumping for upgrades at this point or as part of preventative maintenance.
Old Apr 11th, 2020, 12:55   #5
Mkengineering
Master Member

If your only wanting 280ish then OEM parts are more than enough.

Theres a few guys on sweedesports and boosted Brick Cartel running silly power with oem parts. So yes you will be fine, however if you got a chance to upgrade then why not 👍🏾
Mkengineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2020, 14:11   #6
Gonzobard

Thanks MKengineering, I guess I’ll stick with an oem radiator as a minimum. I’ll think about an updated intercooler but doesn’t sound like a necessity.
Old Apr 11th, 2020, 14:18   #7
winsox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookeh View Post
Definitely won't be standard ECU. At the minimum the ECU will have been modified to trick the auto config into working with manual.

If the upgrades are certain to occur then there is no harm in plumping for upgrades at this point or as part of preventative maintenance.
I ran the original mapped ECU from the Auto in the manual (4.3)with no issues apart from its lack of finesse when your came on and off the throttle.

I had about 270BHP with just a map on a 16t but that was some time back.. Lots have changed on my car since then !

As it been said 280BHP is probably just about reachable on the OEM stuff you have as long as its in good condition .

Volvo 850R Estate 1996 Manual Conversion
SLK AMG 350 R172
winsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2020, 14:43   #8
Gonzobard

Thanks Winsox. I have noticed that when coming off the throttle to change gear the revs can rise with a blip. I had thought it was just poor timing from me with the accelerator pedal.
I assume I may need a custom remap then to allow for the change in transmission, if it hasn’t already been done.
Old Apr 11th, 2020, 15:38   #9
PNuT
MaDMaN

If it rises it is probably a manual ecu
Old Apr 11th, 2020, 15:45   #10
Gonzobard

OK, thanks.