Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Life of DPF/ Diesel particle filter

Views : 5031

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 28th, 2012, 18:23   #1
JohnJoeB

Default Life of DPF/ Diesel particle filter

The DPF will fail eventually due to the build-up of ash from the ELOYS fuel additive which assists periodic carbon burn-off during the life of the DPF.

What is the maximum life anyone has had out of the DPF + ELOYS combination (V50 Euro 4)?
Has anyone run the DPF to final failure? What happened?

I know that the recommended mileage for a replacement DPF is 71,000. This is a conservative estimate by Volvo. I bought my V50 with 77,000 on the clock. I checked with previous service dealers and the low service costs suggest that the DPF was probably never changed. The car has now done 110,000 miles and fuel consumption has not increased. My local garage tells me that if the DPF gets clogged then the Engine Management System will go into 'Limp' mode. If the DPF cannot be regenerated at the garage then it will need replacement. Hence, my plan is to monitor fuel consumption and replace the DPF when it starts to fail or fails. Any thoughts?
JohnJoeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2012, 18:37   #2
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

well every 37,500 K for the fluid and 75K for the filter replacement...it might causw damage if you do.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2012, 20:45   #3
grin factor

It could have been removed by the previous owner.
If the cars going well at the mo' keep your fingers crossed.
grin factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2012, 21:21   #4
7050man
Master Member

I had a 2.0d which ws fuly serviced by Volvo inc DPF replacement at 75K.

Only problem was the DPF particulate sensor failed and indeed it did go into limp mode, but that not my point here, just background info.

I now have an original 109bhp Drive which is due the same treatment at the same mileage I'm now at 60K.

I have the same thoughts that I perhaps won't get it replaced at the 75k interval. The basis for this is that the car is always being driven under ideal conditions , ie mainly motorway and for at least an hour between stops.

I suspect that Volvo will work on a mean life to failure basis in determining service interval, working on a side of safety, not only to improve vehicle reliability, but also to improve parts revenue.

Now my car is not being driven under typical ownership conditions or even useage and so on that basis, may well last longer.

I am well aware that if filter fails to run cleaner, then more frequent regeneration will be initialised by engine management resulting in possible dilution of oil, but as I closely track mpg, I feel that I may be able to determine if there are any signs of filter giveing problems.

I'll let you know of ny decision nearer the time.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 09:44   #5
Doveaboy

My S40 1.6D had the Eolys fluid topped up at 44k miles. The bod at Volvo dealer said I'd probably start to have problems with the filter itself at between 80k and 90k. However, like an earlier poster, I'm an 'ideal' user, doing lots of long journeys and it will be interesting to see what happens.
Doveaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 15:10   #6
JohnJoeB

Thank you for the replies so far.
I said in error that the recommended mileage for replacement of the DPF is 71,000. It is indeed 75,000 miles.

The previous fleet owner used Volvo dealers for services up to 65,000 miles, but switched to a Ford dealer at the 74,000 mile service, then sent the car to auction.
I checked with the Ford dealer. The service was too cheap to include a DPF filter change. I suppose that it might have failed already inbetween services. More likely, the fleet owners have figured out a crafty way to save money on the last service before disposal. Caveat emptor! Buyers should check the service log to see if the last expensive service was done by a Volvo dealer.

Volvo should provide the replacement DPF with a clearly-visible date stamp so that buyers and garages can tell the age.

My local independent dealer has regenerated blocked DPF filters, but says that sometimes they cannot be regenerated (I guess because of ash build-up). As stated, I will carry on with the existing DPF and replace it when it fails if it cannot be regenerated. I would be interested to hear from any other owners who have followed this policy. What is the maximum DPF life?
JohnJoeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 16:40   #7
timebandit

When I bough my V50 2.0D 2007 it had 170.000km on the milage.
At 175.000km I noticed some choppy running at lower revs. Also noticed higher fuel consumpton.
After a while I bought a Volvo DICE/VIDA tool and saw the the car constantly was regenerating the DPF. It would almost never stop.

Replaced the DPF sensor and runned a manual regeneration process though DICE/VIDA. It did not just helped.

The DPF was changed at 120.000km, had paper on that too. Even Volvo had info on that it was changed.
Volvo also said it should NOT be a DPF fault for my regenerations but at the end (2 month ago) I bought a OEM DPF from a company in the UK (aprox £220).
Changed it myself and the car is now fixed! Yay

So the DPF did only last half the time it should... So 6000km instead of 12000km.

I can also add that this problem NEVER gave any fault codes, no display message on the DIM etc.
timebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 19:19   #8
7050man
Master Member

No I'm not surprised.

The DPF is continually blocking and then being cleaned by regeneration. So ordinarily this is what will happen. As it ages and becomes less open to gas flow, ie continually blocked, more frequent regeneration will be initiated as the differential pressure sensor detects blockage.

The result of this is that fuel consumption will go up as extra fuel is injected in exhaust stroke to help increase exhaust gas temp and burn off soot. In addition fuel may get into engine oil and dilute.

Now depending on how and when car is used, dpf will block and regenerate at varying intervals.

If car is only used for short cold start stop/start journeys, it will be running richer and engine may not get to temp, resulting in DPF never being able to regenerate.

On the other hand, if car is used for mainly motorway journeys then it will be running at corect temp and dpf will block less frequently as well as regenerating less.

Under this condition, then dpf will last a lot longer perhaps.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 19:33   #9
timebandit

Yes, that is so true. I did monitor oil level rising too...

My car has runned 170.000km in 3 years so it has been in use for longer trips, so why the DPF became defective so soon noone seems to can answer. Problem was fixed anyways.

If the car only is being used short tips and DPF never is going to be regenereated to due too low engine temp a light in the DIM will be lit when DPF is too full. This is mentioned in the manual for the car as well
timebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 22:26   #10
kendrick

Perhaps they replaced the DPF at 120,000 km BUT forgot to top up the ADM tank!

That would duff the DPF in half the time!
kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote