Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Life of DPF/ Diesel particle filter

Views : 5063

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 19:32   #11
timebandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick View Post
Perhaps they replaced the DPF at 120,000 km BUT forgot to top up the ADM tank!

That would duff the DPF in half the time!
No, the DPF was fine when I bought the car and I did the 180.000km service a little bit to early and the ELOYS was filled, that has been confirmed.
But faulty parts might happen from time to time, too bad that it happens to expensive parts.
And, IF the ELOYS runs low, there is a fault code for that as well. Also a message in the DIM.
timebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2012, 14:56   #12
7050man
Master Member

That's true. If EOLYs runs low, the next time the car is refueled with more than 20 ltrs, you will get a message saying;

"Engine system Service required".

This will continue to display every time car is started until tank topped, error reset and counter cleared.

That's why people have issues when car is serviced by some back street garages and not Volvo dealers.

If sensor is feeding back blocked dpf, then car will go to limp mode which means limiting revs to 2800 rpm (2.0D).
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 14:12   #13
bradley
Brad the Chauffeur

Hi Time bandit. having A MAJOR ENGINE REBUILD ON my S80 . Now told I need a new dpf filter. Being quoted stupid money Any chance you can remeber where you got yours from?
Brad
bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 19:30   #14
timebandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradley View Post
Hi Time bandit. having A MAJOR ENGINE REBUILD ON my S80 . Now told I need a new dpf filter. Being quoted stupid money Any chance you can remeber where you got yours from?
Brad

Yes. I bought mine from Click Car Parts from UK.
http://www.clickcarparts.co.uk/p/die...te_filters~13/

Works perfectly ever since I changed it

They were quick to answer any questions I had before purchasing. I bought mine through Ebay.co.uk but from Click Car Parts. Saved another £10.
£10 ain't much to argue about £10 is £10
timebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 00:18   #15
itsme S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doveaboy View Post
My S40 1.6D had the Eolys fluid topped up at 44k miles. The bod at Volvo dealer said I'd probably start to have problems with the filter itself at between 80k and 90k. However, like an earlier poster, I'm an 'ideal' user, doing lots of long journeys and it will be interesting to see what happens.
i thought the 1.6D did not have the dreaded DPF or is it the 1.6d e3 that doesnt ..
ive got a 2005 1.6d E3 and somewhere on the forums u could put the vin number in to see if you either had the filter or not ? im hoping that i havent got the filter as ive done 77 k miles
itsme S40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 15:45   #16
Boris

I've got an 05 2.0D V50 which has now done 155,000 miles.

I bought it as an ex-fleet car when it was 3 years old and had done 97,500 miles.

I called the garage that had been looking after it and they said that they had changed the DPF at the 75,000 mile service. During the 125k service a Volvo dealership noted that "the DPF does not appear to have been replaced at the 75k service interval" - whether that was true or not, who knows - the original dealer could have been telling porkies or the new dealer could have been telling porkies!

I asked another dealership to give me their opinion which was "it doesn't look new" - funny that - even if it had been replaced at 75k it would now have done 50k so I would be surprised if it did look new! I've now moved away from Volvo dealerships...

Anyway, I didn't have any problems that would suggest there was a problem with it (apart from having to have the pressure sensor replaced). Now, however the car is intermittently going into limp mode - the last time was the day after a good 80mph drive from Taunton to Bude, so ample time for a regeneration (and the EOLYS fluid was topped up at the last service, 5k miles ago).

The fault code is P2002 "DPF efficiency below threshold bank 1" - so either the DPF is coming to the end of its life, or the pressure sensor has gone again.

I'll report back once the problem is identified and fixed, but in the meantime does anyone know:

1. if you can tell how old the DPF is from a visual inspection?
2. if you can tell if the car has actually been trying to regenerate the DPF?

Thanks

Boris
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 16:05   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJoeB View Post
The DPF will fail eventually due to the build-up of ash from the ELOYS fuel additive which assists periodic carbon burn-off during the life of the DPF.

What is the maximum life anyone has had out of the DPF + ELOYS combination (V50 Euro 4)?
Has anyone run the DPF to final failure? What happened?

I know that the recommended mileage for a replacement DPF is 71,000. This is a conservative estimate by Volvo. I bought my V50 with 77,000 on the clock. I checked with previous service dealers and the low service costs suggest that the DPF was probably never changed. The car has now done 110,000 miles and fuel consumption has not increased. My local garage tells me that if the DPF gets clogged then the Engine Management System will go into 'Limp' mode. If the DPF cannot be regenerated at the garage then it will need replacement. Hence, my plan is to monitor fuel consumption and replace the DPF when it starts to fail or fails. Any thoughts?
Yes the change interval is a must on the 75000 service , it isnt an optional job like having the brake fluid changed , Unless you want expensive bills regarding breakdowns and other related problems .

Lease companies are starting to refuse to have these changed in the last 6 months or so , although they have had the EOLYS tank topped up at the 75000 service . and so far i have had 2 cases of breakdowns around 90000 - 100000 miles afterwards . Car in limp mode had to be towed .

volvo have a disclaimer for the results of neglect which are:
- Heavy soot loading resulting in high DPF temperature during regeneration.

- High oil dilution resulting in engine damage or risk of unwanted increase in engine speed.

- Vehicle fuel consumption may dramatically increase.

The cases i had were high oil level ( 2 litres high ) and additive tank empty in 20000 miles due to the system trying to regenerate all the time when it is physicaly impossible . this was indeed resulting in bad fuel consumtion .These problems occured just around the next service !

After a new filter , additive top up and an oil change they seem to have recovered at extra expense and inconvinence of course .
It may interest you to know that the EOLYS tank was destined to be topped up at every 75000 miles too when the car was first launched , but this was rapidly changed to 36000 as the tanks were running out around 50000 miles in practice and this corresponds to my experience too .
so volvo WERE trying to save you money by stipulating 75000 top up intervals at first but it didnt work out in practice .
Just stick to what the manufacturer says , they really do know better than you and dont make conservative estimates .
So if your car is leased and the EOLYS additive and/or Particle Filter isnt changed then get on to them and explain why you insist it is changed .
Old May 11th, 2012, 17:11   #18
john10010860

I have a 2005 1.6d S40, had to change the dpf at 170,000Km. This was the first time it was changed.
john10010860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 20:28   #19
kendrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by john10010860 View Post
I have a 2005 1.6d S40, had to change the dpf at 170,000Km. This was the first time it was changed.
Hi John, What do you put that down to, frequent oil changes (what mileage do you change oil and filter) or is it driving style and journey length?
kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 14:20   #20
nickg1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJoeB View Post
The DPF will fail eventually due to the build-up of ash from the ELOYS fuel additive which assists periodic carbon burn-off during the life of the DPF.

What is the maximum life anyone has had out of the DPF + ELOYS combination (V50 Euro 4)?
Has anyone run the DPF to final failure? What happened?

I know that the recommended mileage for a replacement DPF is 71,000. This is a conservative estimate by Volvo. I bought my V50 with 77,000 on the clock. I checked with previous service dealers and the low service costs suggest that the DPF was probably never changed. The car has now done 110,000 miles and fuel consumption has not increased. My local garage tells me that if the DPF gets clogged then the Engine Management System will go into 'Limp' mode. If the DPF cannot be regenerated at the garage then it will need replacement. Hence, my plan is to monitor fuel consumption and replace the DPF when it starts to fail or fails. Any thoughts?
Hi I had my 2009 v50 1.6d changed under warranty at 44k, my miles are mostly motorway too. A disgrace that it was not mentioned to me, as I bought the car for ecconomy, but part of changing the dpf does not equate to ecconomy
nickg1 is offline   Reply With Quote