Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Overflow bottle cap

Views : 1001

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 29th, 2019, 12:15   #1
arcturus
arcturus

Default Overflow bottle cap

Hi. 69 144s B20b. I have overflow bottle 673624 123. with a lip at 2cm deep, I am using pressure cap TVS 10. Is this correct?
Old Jun 30th, 2019, 00:08   #2
Derek UK
VOC Member

Basically, there are long and short reach caps. If the bottle should use a long reach it will obviously fit but a short reach cap will go on but won't seal. If the bottle should have a short cap, a long one almost certainly won't squeeze down to fit.
I think there are 2 bottles, one for late B18 and one for B20. I think only the B20 one is available now. Not sure if they both used what I think is a long cap but Brookhouse says that if using the B20 bottle with a B18 you have to use the B20 bottle cap. I suspect that you have had the 144 long enough to have always used the correct cap but they are easy to measure and check.
Derek UK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2019, 14:39   #3
arcturus
arcturus

I actually have the two caps and both can fit. The short reach cap goes on easily and the long reach can co on with some pressure.Will post photos of bottle and caps.
Old Jun 30th, 2019, 23:35   #4
Derek UK
VOC Member

Your description echos my comment and the long one should suit your bottle. The 10 = 10psi, which is fine.
Old Jul 1st, 2019, 15:15   #5
Derek UK
VOC Member

As a follow up I haven't been able to find bottle #673624 in the catalogues. There is a reference to that number in the Volvo Competition services catalogue where it says that it should be changed to a #686833 (standard B20 type) but that's all.

B18 bottle #676588 with cap #673336
B20 bottle #686833 with cap #673233

As I write I have a 686833 in front of me and that has the following measurements. Top down to sealing ridge 2cm. the hole into the bottle 3cm. Difficult to see from your pic but yours might have a slightly bigger hole? maybe Volvo made it smaller by thickening up the section to make it more rigid? Then changed the number? Looking again at your pictures, awkward when you have two threads, I see that your bottle has no strengthening rings around the neck, so my hypothesis might be right. This one also has a ring around the area the blow-off holes are. Pic attached.

Make sure that the two tabs on the cap slide properly down to the lock position. I had a Saab bottle which is the same as the Volvo one where the top had distorted and one of the tabs would pop off the ramp. That meant the seal only partially pressed against the ridge in the bottle. The result, boil over when coming to a halt after a fast run.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040632pscs.jpg (138.6 KB, 7 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 06:04   #6
c1800
Master Member

I’m guessing you need the higher pressure cap. On mine I need to remove the bottle from the mountings to apply adequate pressure to the cap and screw it home.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 12:42   #7
Derek UK
VOC Member

It's OK to tweak the tabs on the cap slightly to make it easier to fit and take off the cap. Don't bend so they are at an angle. I've not done it but polishing up the plastic and applying a very light smear of silicone grease would probably help smooth things a bit. It uses a constant pressure spring so there won't be any difference to the seal performance.