Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Swirl Arm low cost repair!

Views : 165903

Replies : 183

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 30th, 2016, 13:27   #121
Wojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by luggsey View Post
I just drilled a small hole in th ball and use use small split pin to hold it I place.
Took about ten minutes all in and near far it seems to be a permanent repair.
Is there any chance for some photo of your solution?
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2016, 21:09   #122
Goldieoldieb

Default Xc90 swirl arm

Hi All
I have a 2007 xc90 d5.
At 50k the swirl arm came off .Replaced and at 60k came off again !
Looking at the old arm I noticed it was covered in oil from the cover above .
A common leak I'm told
The oil seemed to have caused the seat on the arm to soften
I have put a new arm on with a good dob of silicon grease on the arm cups
I'm hoping the silicone will protect the cup from the effects of engine oil .It also provides lubrication
Time will tell if it helps this problem !
Cheers Pete
Goldieoldieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2016, 21:36   #123
Goldieoldieb

Default Xc 90 swirl arm

I Have now added a limit bracket ( see pic )
I am using a plastic nut as the stop because I thought rubber has too much give
And need to stop the travel reliably
One thought ,I wonder if we need to limit the travel the other way as when it calibrates it must go the other way with the same torque resulting in ripping the arm off ?
Or is there a limit on the motor so it's not necessary the other way ?
Cheers Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (116.4 KB, 722 views)
Goldieoldieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2016, 18:11   #124
P4

I bought a 57 S60 D5 185 needing a bit of tlc. One of the problems is this Swirl Flap nonsense. The lever is solidly connected to the motor but the engine end is off. I like the idea of the glue and latex, and the tie-wrap solution, but has anyone tried epoxy steel. I'm thinking of getting the engine hot and then smearing some e-steel on the inside of the lever before sliding it over the steel ball and then covering either side of the lever with the e-steel - and then leaving it for about 48 hours.

Any particular thoughts on why this wouldn't work before I start?
P4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 08:46   #125
Naff25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieB View Post
Nice design using a stopper, I would guess if conducted and calibrated properly that would be a robust fix, however I am perhaps to lazy to do this job properly.

I have adopted a slightly different, perhaps easier and less complex approach. Rather than an electrical engineer I am a metallurgist/mechanical engineer, just for the record.

My approach is based on the assumption that the variable swirl system in question is not measurably sensitive to one or two degrees of butterfly valve rotational variance. I am guessing it mostly uses completely closed, completely open and maybe three or four different positions in-between.To support my assumption without going into fluid-mechanics, I would argue that the original Volvo design is not a true servo system, and therefore is susceptible to a considerable amount of rotational drift itself, particularly in between calibration periods, therefore Volvo obviously decided that this system did not need to be accurate to 1-2degrees.

So I thought why not use a really ductile and tough piece of wire, to act a bit like a spring between the actuator and valves, I used a keyring that I uncoiled and looped round the ball on the actuator arm and hooked on to the valve actuation arm on the block side. This system means when the actuator is fully open the valves are fully open, and when the actuator is fully closed the valves are fully closed. However in between open and closed positions I would estimate there could be 1-2deg of rotational drift.

The fact the linkage is so flexible means that it is practically impossible for any components of the linkage to be excessively stressed and fracture.

I think the problem allot of people, including Volvo it would appear have run into, is that they assumed they needed to make a bigger stronger linkage, which then breaks because the excessively powerful actuator loads it up when it drifts and when it re calibrates. The true culprit of the failure however is the inaccuracy of the actuator, and to solve this you need a flexible linkage. The forces needed to actuate the butterfly valves are minute, so a small piece of wire is more than capable of transferring the required load.

My Keyring fix is working fine for solving the performance issues (Was very down on power), just need to get the error message removed at some point, I will report back if the message returns. Although I am highly doubtful it will as I am sure that the 1-2deg of variation will have no significant effect on the flow through the system, as the turbulence are so unpredictable anyway. There is no chance that an AMFS with a +/- 15% tol will be able to pick up a tiny variation in the swirl valve position.
Sound reasoning...I fashioned a similar flexible arm from a large paper clip and it works a treat. Will see how long it lasts...
Naff25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2016, 21:38   #126
spottedhaggis

This one, I was just reading it

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...t=92301&page=2

There are others but I have not been logging them all. It is a shame, although the instructables are good, pictures are always great at helping
spottedhaggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2016, 23:01   #127
galloot633
xc90, volvo number five

Just knocked this up today, it's an original arm cut in half and held in tension with the spring , I'll fit it tomorrow and come back if it works .
Dave
galloot633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2016, 23:04   #128
galloot633
xc90, volvo number five

Sorry about that , photo failed, I'll try again on my laptopdave
Old Oct 18th, 2016, 23:18   #129
galloot633
xc90, volvo number five

hopefully this pic will work
dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0019-1280x724.jpg (94.8 KB, 640 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to galloot633 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2016, 15:14   #130
galloot633
xc90, volvo number five

Ive also added an " o " to a recess in the socket because the swirl arm ball is worn , working ok so far
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0024-1600x905.jpg (252.4 KB, 463 views)