Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Catch Can Installation

Views : 2039

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 4th, 2020, 21:10   #1
IFitzy

Default Catch Can Installation

Hi Folks, has anyone fitted a Catch Can to they’re V70? I have a late 2011 2.4D 215 & a Mann & Hummel Provent 200 (or a replica at least) on the way, I’m going to source some 1” clear hosing & fittings etc. I’m just curious on where’s best to mount it. Unfortunately the Provent has little to no storage so I will need a second can for storing the oil between emptying, I can mount something nice and low down for this so shouldn’t be an issue
Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C81CB593-7FC7-4AC2-8700-A4911F8033CF.jpeg (20.3 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 0AF0D1D8-FF9E-415A-901D-88AEF54E6418.jpg (154.7 KB, 82 views)
IFitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2020, 02:01   #2
JGEM

Default Catch can

If you end up going ahead installing the catch can I would be interested to see a follow up posting and pictures..
JGEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2020, 13:00   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFitzy View Post
Hi Folks, has anyone fitted a Catch Can to they’re V70? I have a late 2011 2.4D 215 & a Mann & Hummel Provent 200 (or a replica at least) on the way, I’m going to source some 1” clear hosing & fittings etc. I’m just curious on where’s best to mount it. Unfortunately the Provent has little to no storage so I will need a second can for storing the oil between emptying, I can mount something nice and low down for this so shouldn’t be an issue
Ian

You have a fully sealed breather system, why would you want to tamper with it ? 🙄
Old May 30th, 2020, 16:27   #4
IFitzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGEM View Post
If you end up going ahead installing the catch can I would be interested to see a follow up posting and pictures..
Its still on the slow boat from China all this time later, I have sourced some 1" clear hosing in the meantime though. I have an Airtec Can on my second car which seems to catch nothing, so may recycle that can into my lower level oil storage for this one. Will keep you posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
You have a fully sealed breather system, why would you want to tamper with it ? 🙄
I'm not too fond of having all that vapor going back around into the Turbo/Intercooler/all the piping only to have it mix with the EGR s**t to block up the manifold & back of valves, Devils work IMO
Old May 30th, 2020, 17:19   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFitzy View Post
Its still on the slow boat from China all this time later, I have sourced some 1" clear hosing in the meantime though. I have an Airtec Can on my second car which seems to catch nothing, so may recycle that can into my lower level oil storage for this one. Will keep you posted

I'm not too fond of having all that vapor going back around into the Turbo/Intercooler/all the piping only to have it mix with the EGR s**t to block up the manifold & back of valves, Devils work IMO
The Air mass meter allows for that in it's calculations , so it might not be happy ..
Old May 30th, 2020, 18:14   #6
IFitzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The Air mass meter allows for that in it's calculations , so it might not be happy ..
Should't be any issue, it will still be a fully sealed system, simply separates the Oil & Vapor from the Breather line, stores it in a can where it can be disposed of every few months.
Old Sep 15th, 2020, 11:47   #7
IFitzy

So after an eternity I finally received the Catch Can & gathered all Hoses & Fittings needed, and fitted it all at the weekend. The Provent 200 (rep) is bigger than expected but looks like a good item with little restriction to any flow passing through it.
In order to fit nicely we sourced another Induction Pipe and removed the resonator, something I was interested in doing anyway to see if it would bring any more turbo whistle out of the Twins. Slightly more whistle but engine is now louder on idle, I'm ok with the change but others might not be, at least the resonator won’t be rubbing into the wiring harness at the rear of it.

I then cleaned up the pipe & sealed the little heater module onto the induction pipe with Gasket Maker, a trick from Volvo Sweden’s youtube video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLhsfrZ6vKE

In terms of Connections, the hose connection from the engine side is 21mm (19mm/ ¾”) and the Heater connection at the Pipe side is 16mm (5/8”)
Due to the bending radius of the ¾” hose I had to source a 90° Bend (Brass fitting), not too happy with it as it is slightly restrictive.
A machine shop mate of mine made up some Aluminium reducers for the increase upto 1” on the Can Catch, far neater than any fitting I could source.
I sourced some clear PVC 1” hose for the catch can connections just to see the flow of vapor/air in and out of the Can,, not sure how long these will last as they are not oil rated hoses.

From there we made up some cheap & cheerful Aluminium bracketry for it and mounted it all up, as the Provent has very little in the way of storage, I’ve simply mounted a Lucozade bottle lower down to collect anything from the can, it can be checked & emptied very easily from there.
Going to keep an eye on it for the next while and see what it collects, I'll update here in a few weeks again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0646.JPG (232.2 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0651.JPG (161.9 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0673.JPG (212.7 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0682.JPG (288.6 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0689.JPG (335.8 KB, 89 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IFitzy For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2020, 17:38   #8
palwing

Interesting mod. Make sure you follow up with updates. Thanks for posting.
palwing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to palwing For This Useful Post: