Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Suddenly engine cut out....

Views : 6596

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 29th, 2014, 16:40   #11
Wolfywolf

I had the same problem, I say 'had' the same problem... I had a dim failure which I thought may have caused it, replaced the dim and changed the fuel filter, and for the last couple of weeks it has been fine up until today when my wife drove it, she did 50 yards to the top of the road and it cut out, then 300 yards to the shops and it cut out again, she said the radio went off as well so I am thinking earth wire or ignition barrel, I will have to wait till I'm over this chest infection to take a look at it though, conditions today are damp and miserable.

AL
Wolfywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2014, 21:53   #12
Redcarlad

That's interesting - I'm going to have a good look at this earth wire at the weekend - hopefully I'll not need to look at beforehand ! Do let me know how you get on with your issue and let me know what you find.
Redcarlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2014, 22:53   #13
Wolfywolf

I will do, just praying I can sort it too

AL
Old Oct 29th, 2014, 23:36   #14
D5meister
Premier Member

It may have stored a fault code - you may not have seen the text on the dash - due to panic.

I had a cut on my 2.4D going up a slip in 3rd to a major road and it s***s you up a bit..

Mine was fuel filter.

Take a look under and see if u have a shiny filter or the original !
D5meister is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D5meister For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 14:14   #15
Wolfywolf

Still not had chance to sort mine but it has not done it since, any joy your end ?

AL
Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 17:27   #16
Redcarlad

Me neither - I've probably done 1500 miles since that happened and it's never missed a beat. I must get around to it but as it's Dad's Taxi at the weekend it'll has to be time dedicated to looking at it properly...Trouble is with an intermittent fault like this you don't know if you've found it or not until if /when it happens again.
I'll keep you posted !
Old Nov 4th, 2014, 13:29   #17
Wolfywolf

Just been out in the car and... the engine cut out, literally off on, then further down the road it cut completely making me have to stop and re start it, went to pull off and it cut again and same thing happened about 5 times in a 3 mile journey, I have had a look for this earth strap that comes from below the alternator but can't find it, the only earth straps I can see are the 6 attached to the top of both front wings midway along the length, this is worrying me now as I have to drive into B'ham city center shortly

AL
Old Nov 4th, 2014, 14:27   #18
Redcarlad

Jeez - that sounds awful and particularly stressful. Between us we've discounted fuel filter issues as we've both changed fuel filters - what fuel levels were showing at the time - could the fuel line be drawing in air ?.
I'm really no mechanic but surely the nature of the fault suggests its electrical.....somewhere.
If you're still having these issues it's bound to happen to me as well soon, although it has been about a thousand miles since it happened last but it doesn't stop it happening again. I guess it just strikes without warning ?
Old Nov 4th, 2014, 22:49   #19
100K+
Premier Member

I don't know if this will help, but I have a similar issue with my petrol V70 T5. Driving along normal, then sudden loss of engine power, and the car rolls to a stop.It has been infrequent over the last 6 months, but has begun to be more frequent over the last 3 weeks ( if that makes sense). The car has always restarted after a few minutes "rest", and got me home.
Possible causes suggested to me here were the on set of "throttle body" issues.
A known issue on earlyish P2 cars.

I was fortunate in that on one "power loss" situation I was half monitoring %age throttle on VIDA/DICE and I'm 99% certain the split second before the engine died suddenly the %age throttle opening jumped to >95%.

I'm don't know if the engine stopping caused the throttle to open, what appears more likely is the throttle suddenly opened, ( cos its U/S) the mixture was far too weak and that killed the engine.

These events in my car are not throwing codes, so how I could prove the above I don't know.

Good luck

Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2014, 23:58   #20
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
I don't know if this will help, but I have a similar issue with my petrol V70 T5. Driving along normal, then sudden loss of engine power, and the car rolls to a stop.It has been infrequent over the last 6 months, but has begun to be more frequent over the last 3 weeks ( if that makes sense). The car has always restarted after a few minutes "rest", and got me home.
Possible causes suggested to me here were the on set of "throttle body" issues.
A known issue on earlyish P2 cars.

I was fortunate in that on one "power loss" situation I was half monitoring %age throttle on VIDA/DICE and I'm 99% certain the split second before the engine died suddenly the %age throttle opening jumped to >95%.

I'm don't know if the engine stopping caused the throttle to open, what appears more likely is the throttle suddenly opened, ( cos its U/S) the mixture was far too weak and that killed the engine.

These events in my car are not throwing codes, so how I could prove the above I don't know.

Good luck

Bob
I think you could try to replicate a throttle fault by simply sitting stationary with the ignition on (engine not required) and observe the throttle % reading as you try various pedal movements. Slow and smooth, kickdowns etc. You may strike lucky and get say an 80% reading when you're barely touching the pedal or a 10% reading despite your foot being flat to the floor.
That could show a failed/failing potentiometer.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post: