Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cambelt Replacement

Views : 1032

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 14th, 2018, 13:57   #11
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

I now have a list of jobs to sort, when I bought the car it had sat for three years before being put through and MOT (passed with one advisory on brake disc pitting) and not being used until I bought it.

So now it has done 4k miles in 4 months it has perished rubber quickly on a few bushes and lots of oil leaks have appeared.

Power steering rack leaking out of banjo bolt (hopefully a new pair of aluminium washer will sort it).

Oil leaks here and there.

Crankcase breather blocked pressurising engine so oil is blowing out of oil filler cap.

Waterpump weeping out of rubber O-ring.

Service

Polybush everything as everything is wearing out and splitting quickly now it is being used again.

Bilstein b4 Or b6 dampers

Lowering springs, not sure how low to go

(Big money here) Ocean mk18 wheels in anthracite

New brakes on the front.

Fit my NOS rear mudflaps.

Fit my MBC and boost gauge and make choo choo noises.

Convert to M90 (I have a donor car I'm breaking) and fit updated clutch and pressure plate.

Locate a boot spoiler!!!
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 14:36   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quite a list there! If the aluminium (or copper) washers don't fix the leak on the banjo bolt, try Dowty washers instead.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/dowty-washers

You'll find they are quite tight around the bolt as in you'll pretty much have to wind them down the threaded part but often they will seal where ordinary compression washers won't. In fact, on one of my chariots they are specified for the sump plug and gearbox drain plug. Both the same size so i found a hydraulic hose supplier and bought a bag-load of M14 Dowty washers cheap for cash a couple of years back.

As for your oil leaks, once you've cleaned the PCV system, try adding some Carlube ATF-U to the engine oil. It has a compound in it to revive and condition rubber seals so could well get rid of a lot of those leaks. It will also gently clean the internals as well and help free off things like sticky piston rings.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 16:04   #13
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

David.

[Most] medicines are poisons.

The boat is my analogy and I am stuck and sticking with it. Thanks all the same. The weighing scale is a pale shadow of the concept.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 16:13   #14
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Quite a list there! If the aluminium (or copper) washers don't fix the leak on the banjo bolt, try Dowty washers instead.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/dowty-washers

You'll find they are quite tight around the bolt as in you'll pretty much have to wind them down the threaded part but often they will seal where ordinary compression washers won't. In fact, on one of my chariots they are specified for the sump plug and gearbox drain plug.
Interesting and thank you David. I have bookmarked that.

My red block sump plug specifies a copper washer (gasket as they call it). I find that with a new one done up to the specified torque there is no leak.

Dowty sounds well worth remembering in case of need in any future task. Mind you. My memory is approaching MOT time....

Bookmarking is one thing. Remembering it is bookmarked, and what to search for within my bookmarks, that is crucial....

The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 16:23   #15
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Interesting and thank you David. I have bookmarked that.

My red block sump plug specifies a copper washer (gasket as they call it). I find that with a new one done up to the specified torque there is no leak.

Dowty sounds well worth remembering in case of need in any future task. Mind you. My memory is approaching MOT time....

Bookmarking is one thing. Remembering it is bookmarked, and what to search for within my bookmarks, that is crucial....

Also interesting to note that certain Saab models (900i i think) which use the same fuel filter, main pump and lift pump as our Volvos specify Dowty washers aka Dowty Seals for the banjos on the fuel filter.

Really is a case of "either/or" in many cases, however if the specified seal/gasket/washer is an aluminium or copper variety, then go with that unless it leaks in the future. Suffice it to say, DOwty seals/washers are used a lot in the hydraulics industry on banjo bolts and with pressures usually in the region of 2000psi, it's a safe bet they'll seal a fuel filter or PAS union. :thumbs-up:

As for boat/scales/other similar analogies, it's what works for the individual as long as it's clear enough for others to see the working behind it.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 16:39   #16
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

David. To help you remember.

In Four Weddings and a Funeral,
the lead character got out of the Land Rover to go a pub with Boat in the title.

And one gets the impression he either scored, or missed an opportunity, or both.

Old Oct 14th, 2018, 22:30   #17
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Ah yes we use dowty washers at work on power steering setups, completely forgot about them. I might have to acquire a selection
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post: