Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

aux belt and timing belts

Views : 697

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 16th, 2018, 22:07   #1
pyro
Volvo V70 2.5D

Default aux belt and timing belts

Hi all,

1) The aux belt tensioner pulley has started to rattle a bit on my v70, having been stunned at the price of a replacement, and in the middle of buying my first house I'm wondering if anyone has any experience in just replacing the pulley and bearing (as opposed to the full tensioner) which are readily available at 1/3rd of the price?

2) Is there a recommended service interval for the cam belt and timing belt? They were last done when I bought the car 30k miles ago (3 years ish) I know via VIDA that the dynamic timing is reading -4~ degrees.

I'm only assuming it's the aux belt tensioner that is chattering, and not the cam belt tensioner as it was all replaced 30k ago. but I will of course check this assumption. The aux belt idler was replaced 1 year/10k ago.

Any advice or help appreciated!

Cheers

Ben
pyro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 00:26   #2
Martin Cox
VOC Member

There's a fairly easy way to check which tensioner is making the noise. Take off the aux belt and start the engine. If the noise is still there, it's not associated with the aux belt but if the noise has gone, then it is.

The aux belt tensioner pulley and idler pulley consist of fairly standard bearings, which are readily available, sandwiched between two shaped steel discs rivetted together. Unhelpfully both bearings are, of course, different.

With care it is possible to replace the bearings. I drilled out the rivets, carefully separated the two halves and removed the original bearings, which after 220,000 miles were a bit rough.

Take care not to distort the steel flanges when separating them. The bearing is glued into the flanges with Loctite or similar. Be sure to use a threadlocking compound on the new bearing when fitting it into the flanges. Otherwise the bearing may move and wear its way through the relatively soft steel of the flanges resulting in the whole thing falling to pieces. When reassembling I replaced the rivets with M5 machine screws with Nyloc nuts. So far I've not had any further trouble.

I do have some pictures which I'll add when I'm next at home.

If the problem is in the bearing that allows the tensioner pulley to pivot and maintain the tension on the aux belt, then this won't solve anything!

Hope this is of some help

Martin
1998 V70 Tdi Auto

Last edited by Martin Cox; Oct 18th, 2018 at 00:35. Reason: Additional information added
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Martin Cox For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 21:52   #3
pyro
Volvo V70 2.5D

hey all,

So I got the aux belt tensioner replaced, it was making a noise and it was definitely worn. However

The initial noise that I set out to correct is still there, and present with the aux belt removed all together. The noise is a whirring sort of resonance (like a dry bearing on a pulley engine speed related) , that appears to come from the cam belt area. I'm pretty sure this is not the vacuum pump as it seems to come from a separate area.

I have had the cam belt covers off, the belt is tight, but does appear to vibrate a lot (I expect it would a bit) and the cam tensioner is moving round all over the place, I expect a bit of movement, but 1/4-3/8" movement up and down seems excessive?

The noise does seem to disappear or quieten down when warmed up

It is going in to Dyrdals Volvo in York tomorrow for investigation, but I was wondering if any of you have any ideas of what I should be prepared for?

Ive a feeling a cam belt kit will be chucked at it to see what happens.

Cheers

Ben
Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 09:49   #4
volvo again
Master Member

I would be tempted to remove the timing belt and check the tensioner and idler pulleys, water pump etc.
If necessary replace with OEM parts
volvo again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2018, 20:19   #5
pyro
Volvo V70 2.5D

Well we finally got to the bottom of the noise.

The water pump was barely hanging in there, the pulley on the pump has worn its bushes and was slightly cockeyed, which resulted in the belt running off the edge by 2-3mm, which was then catching on a tin cover near the crank pulley (which was actually holding the belt on )

A lucky escape and caught just in time!

So cam belt kit, water pump and 250 quid later its back and running very nicely!

Cheers all

Ben
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pyro For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2018, 00:20   #6
Martin Cox
VOC Member

Glad to hear you got it sorted.

Martin
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2018, 10:13   #7
volvo again
Master Member

Lucky you found this in time, would probably damaged the timing belt if left and you know what that would have meant...
volvo again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2018, 17:44   #8
Baffler
Premier Member

Interesting...any idea what brand of water pump and belt kit was fitted 30k miles ago? Have read of fake Gates kits doing the rounds

As others have said...glad to hear no serious damage occurred and well done for taking preventative measures!

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2018, 19:46   #9
dingov70
Master Member

Been there ,had that problem , did exactly what Martin did , BUT fit nuts to OUTSIDE of pulley to ensure they do not catch & use button head machine screws to again reduce chance of catching & small dab of loctite .

I had my crank sprocket chatter & shear the woodruff key off . Crank bolt was not correctly tightened NOR was the diamond wash installed between damper & sprocket ! ! ! ! ! .

Result two bent valves , stuffed hydraulic followers & lots of fun timing everything up again ( HA HA HA HA HA ) . Have also heard of aux belt coming off & getting trapped by cam belt with bad results for owner