Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anyone changed the locks - what's involved

Views : 919

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 17th, 2018, 18:24   #21
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi Tony,

So on your C70 (if it and the donor are not after 2005), as I understand it, you can get the fobs working easily.

I think you will struggle to change the (chipped) keys and locks because the chipped keys wont be recognised by the ECU. Maybe if you pay Volvo a lot of money they would get the chips registered but check with them before you change the locks over.

Why do you want to change the locks?

Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 18:29   #22
ASt85
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony209 View Post
Black box above the accelerator pedal? What does the one above the instrument cluster do?
The box you need to replace is located on the RHS of the under dash, it is immediately above the accelerator pedal - it might be either a black, grey, or green unit depending upon the year of manufacture - whichever one it is in your motor it is direct swop with any other prior or up to 2005 - it doesn't need to be re-coded to the ECU, ECM, Upper electronic Module & etc - the fobs are coded to the unit - change the unit and the fobs that come with unit from a breaker will work without a problem. Have look at my post here https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=277553 post number 7.

or here https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?p=2454547 post number 213

The real problem is the key - the chip in it needs to be a cloned copy of the existing chip in an original key, as posted previously, some branches of Timpsons can copy/clone the chip for the key, it pays to phone around.

Timpsons charge around 10 to 15% of the Volvo dealer price to clone/copy the chip in the key - they have a chip reader which copies the data on the existing key and will transpose that data on a new chip which slots in to a red slide receiver in their cut keys.

NB if you want to PM me I'll give you my mobile number and talk you through if you think it might be easier

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Oct 17th, 2018 at 18:34.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 19:35   #23
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

This may work: ~ it did on my wife’s Vauxhall Corsa that has a chipped key.
Have a standard key made with the red slide section- remove with a pin by pulling out; remove the chip from the existing key very carefully- for the above car it just involved the use of a junior hacksaw around the plastic sides (keep a careful check on the cut) once you can see the chip you can then cut around it. The chip for this car just looked like a small elongated magnet and a very similar size to the removed red piece ( they have a hollow section for the chip) some minor cutting of the same had been required to seat the chip but otherwise it had been a straight forward fit- It works fine and all for under £8:00.
Hope it helps
Bob

Last edited by Bob Meadows; Oct 17th, 2018 at 20:45.
Bob Meadows is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 06:56   #24
tony209
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASt85 View Post
The box you need to replace is located on the RHS of the under dash, it is immediately above the accelerator pedal - it might be either a black, grey, or green unit depending upon the year of manufacture - whichever one it is in your motor it is direct swop with any other prior or up to 2005 - it doesn't need to be re-coded to the ECU, ECM, Upper electronic Module & etc - the fobs are coded to the unit - change the unit and the fobs that come with unit from a breaker will work without a problem. Have look at my post here https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=277553 post number 7.

or here https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?p=2454547 post number 213

The real problem is the key - the chip in it needs to be a cloned copy of the existing chip in an original key, as posted previously, some branches of Timpsons can copy/clone the chip for the key, it pays to phone around.

Timpsons charge around 10 to 15% of the Volvo dealer price to clone/copy the chip in the key - they have a chip reader which copies the data on the existing key and will transpose that data on a new chip which slots in to a red slide receiver in their cut keys.

NB if you want to PM me I'll give you my mobile number and talk you through if you think it might be easier
PM sent. Thanks for this, I understand what needs changing regarding the fobs but what does the chip in the key communicate with?

My car has only one key and a previous owner has converted it to one of these modern style "flick knife" key fobs, they don't hold the battery in place and I've tried a new one! As I am currently breaking another C70 that has three keys and two fobs, I was considering changing over all the locks and electronics so that my car has a full set of keys and fobs. I know changing the locks is a hassle compared to getting an extra key made but I am changing the drivers door and boot lid over anyway, so that just leaves the steering column lock and glove box.
tony209 is offline   Reply With Quote