Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

after market headlights

Views : 3613

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 21st, 2018, 08:51   #11
Luxobarge
Premier Member

I do stand to be corrected, but I believe that (for standard headlights) the difference between LHD and RHD is in the lenses. The lenses are very easy to remove, just a series of spring clips around the outside edge of the headlight unit, so if you want to stay with standard headlights I think you could use RHD units and swap your existing lenses over, assuming that they are not damaged - they're normally OK, it's the silvering on the reflector that goes. If RHD units work out cheaper for you, then this may be an easy option?

Just a thought.

FWIW I had this problem, changed the units for new ones from PFV and even using standard bulbs the headlights are absolutely fine, as good as any other car of the era, and as good as my other cars if not better. It's all in the condition of the reflectors IMHO. I've still got the old units, so it means I've got a spare set of lenses in case mine get broken or chipped!
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 12:17   #12
DSK
C70 T5

I have/have had the lot and here's my experience.

OEM Headlamps - extra bright bulbs - poor
OEM Headlamps - premium H7R HID kit - great

Crystal Jewel Headlamps - extra bright bulbs - good
Crystal Jewel Headlamps - premium H7R HID kit - awesome

ABM Projectors - extra bright bulbs - poor
ABM Projectors - premium H7 HID kit - poor

The ABMs offer style but are truly terrible for any decent light quality.

Crystal Jewels offer the best light output with upgraded bulbs or a HID kit but, come at a price.

OEM headlamps provide exceptional results with a good quality H7R HID kit. This is cost effective with kits from HIDs Direct costing approximately £45. This is the cheapest yet effective option overall.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 15:37   #13
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi Luxobarge, Thanks for that. My existing headlights are RHD with LHD lenses. There is little to choose in price between purchasing in uk or germany/spain except postage is a killer. From spain / germany postage is about £6.00 whereas from uk is about £30.00 to £40.00. I have found some german headlights manufactured by Van Wezel auto parts. Reviews indicate good quality. regards jack.
jack taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 15:45   #14
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi DSK, Many thanks for the very detailed info. I have looked at the C70 "crystal" headlights but expensive. I am interested in HID kits but google throws up so many warnings about the light beams being all over the place. I think I shall settle for new standard headlights with standard H7 bulbs; Its got to be an improvement over what I have at present. thanks again jack.
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 18:12   #15
DSK
C70 T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack taylor View Post
Hi DSK, Many thanks for the very detailed info. I have looked at the C70 "crystal" headlights but expensive. I am interested in HID kits but google throws up so many warnings about the light beams being all over the place. I think I shall settle for new standard headlights with standard H7 bulbs; Its got to be an improvement over what I have at present. thanks again jack.
You get that with poor quality kits and people fitting kits/bulbs designed for projectors in reflector headlamps.

If you look at https://www.hids-direct.co.uk/, they offer premium and cheaper kits. They also allow you to choose the headlamp style (reflector or projector) in which, you wish to fit. The bulbs are different between the H7 (projector) and H7R (reflector).

I run the H7R bulbs in the crystal and OEM headlamps and normal H7 in the ABM projectors. MOT is never an issue, with any of the cars following me (we usually do a section of motorway together before I continue south and my mum goes to the midlands) - no issues with glare or poor beam etc.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 18:56   #16
Cookeh
Premier Member

Are the HID kits still legal? Thought I read about a bunch of issues with them recently.
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 21:03   #17
jack taylor
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
You get that with poor quality kits and people fitting kits/bulbs designed for projectors in reflector headlamps.

If you look at https://www.hids-direct.co.uk/, they offer premium and cheaper kits. They also allow you to choose the headlamp style (reflector or projector) in which, you wish to fit. The bulbs are different between the H7 (projector) and H7R (reflector).

I run the H7R bulbs in the crystal and OEM headlamps and normal H7 in the ABM projectors. MOT is never an issue, with any of the cars following me (we usually do a section of motorway together before I continue south and my mum goes to the midlands) - no issues with glare or poor beam etc.

Hi DSK, Many thanks for that. Are the standard halogen headlights reflector or projector. I am not bothered about upgrading the high beam bulbs just the low beam. Is this possible or must both be upgraded. Would you say that fitting a HID kit is a simple job or best left for a garage to do. Thanks jack
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 22:24   #18
DSK
C70 T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack taylor View Post
Hi DSK, Many thanks for that. Are the standard halogen headlights reflector or projector. I am not bothered about upgrading the high beam bulbs just the low beam. Is this possible or must both be upgraded. Would you say that fitting a HID kit is a simple job or best left for a garage to do. Thanks jack
Both of them, earlier lamps and crystal jewels are the reflector type, so you need H7R.

I am running the 55w H7R kit and I have to say its OTT for brightness and the 35w kits I used to use are perfect.

I have to admit, the 55w kit works a treat to dish out some revenge for the idiots who drive around with their rear fog lights on

You can upgrade the dipped beam alone and that's all I'm running the HIDs for.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000

Last edited by DSK; Oct 21st, 2018 at 22:33.
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 23:41   #19
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi DSK, Many thanks for that. Can an idiot like me fit the kit or is it best left to an expert. Looking on google there is a great difference in price for the kits. What sort of money do I need to spend in order to get a good kit. Thanks jack.
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 00:30   #20
Baffler
Premier Member

Hi, Jack, I recently got my hands on a pair of RHD crystal/jewel headlamps and, in comparison to the originals, they're nothing short of brilliant, although, I was hunting for approximately 12 months or so but it was worth the wait. I can only imagine what a new pair must be like. If you're lucky enough to find a '03 to '05 C70 being broken in Spain then go for those headlamps!

I'm looking at LEDs/HIDs bulbs now to try and preserve the reflectors from further "heat" deterioration and increase light output but, unless you have a functioning headlamp cleaning and leveling system, you can run into problems at NCT/MOT/ITV inspections.

If you're after a quick fix I'd say just go with the ones off eBay.de (just use your eBay.co.uk username & password). I believe I spotted a pair of headlamps and 4 x H7 bulbs for under a hundred quid + postage. Fitting is around 30 mins total and you just need to swap out your height level motors from your existing lamps onto the new units.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is online now   Reply With Quote