Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Change gearbox M45 to M47 in 340GL

Views : 2188

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 30th, 2016, 22:47   #1
JFB

Default Change gearbox M45 to M47 in 340GL

Any help about information to what is need to change a gearbox of a MY83' 340 1.4 M45 (4 gears) to a M47 (5 gears) ?

It's a thing that improves car performance? or not efectiveness at all?

Thnaks
JFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2016, 23:12   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFB View Post
Any help about information to what is need to change a gearbox of a MY83' 340 1.4 M45 (4 gears) to a M47 (5 gears) ?

It's a thing that improves car performance? or not efectiveness at all?

Thnaks
A very straightforward bolt in job , where did you get your M47R transaxle from , ideally you want it to have the same rear axle ratio as yours then 5th becomes a true extra gear . with the wrong rear axle ratio you might find 5th is the same as your original 4th in which case acceleration might be improved in the lower gears at the expense of fuel consumption .. so ,firstly what is your current final drive ratio ? volvo used quite a few different ratios over the years ..

I did mine 25 years ago on my 1980 343 and 2 years ago on my 1988 1.4 which has a 3.64:1 final drive ratio which is the same as a 1.7 engined 340 which has a 5 speed as standard .. It works well , cruising is very relaxed , you might have to change to 4th for a long incline , i'm getting 45 mpg out of my 343, but i have done other things as well to optimise the fuel consumption but the 5th gear certainly helps . any more you need to know just ask.
Old Dec 31st, 2016, 10:51   #3
SteveP
300 Maniac

It'll just bolt in - I'd personally fit the 5 speed box from a later 1.4 car, which came with the 3.82:1 ratio, as I think it's well suited to the 1.4
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2016, 11:03   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I would go with whatever 340 gearbox you can find as they are getting rather hard to get hold of.

Hang on to your old 4 speed box or pass it onto someone who can use it
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 31st, 2016, 11:46   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Yes very hard to find a Transaxle now , it took me over a year of searching to find one ...

your 1983 4 speed will have the 3.82:1 ratio which is fairly low geared ( more revs when driving , feels lively )

The only 5 speed units with the 3.82:1 ratio are from the Diesel or the pre 1983 cars , we did not have the 5 speed in uk until 1984 did we ?

So you will have to find a transaxle from a 1.7 engined 340 with a final drive of 3.64:1
this will result in less rpm for any given speed in all gears and give a tall 5th gear .

I have this in my 1980 343 ( B14 1E ) and 1988 343 ( B14 4E )

I find in the earlier car it has noticeably reduced torque from the engine .

whilst with the later car in which the engine was revised slightly it works fine as volvo used the 3.64:1 final drive in later 340's .
It would be worth fitting the later B14 4E Engine if you can find one cheap , it has twin exhaust down pipes, computer mapped ignition ( RENIX ) and no radiator fan this does make a noticeable difference in power and economy .

I have a perfect low mileage M45R ( 4 speed ) 3.64:1 transaxle if anyone wants one !
Old Dec 31st, 2016, 16:29   #6
SteveP
300 Maniac

Later 340 1.4 5 speeds (after '85) used the 3:82 final drive, 1.7's were all 5 speed and were 3:64 along with 360 injections. 360 Carbs were either 3:27 or 3:36 (or 3:45, I'm not sure) in the UK, as far as I know. Thankfully, I'd say the later 340 1.4 transaxle is probably the most commonly available.

There's a good post here:
http://www.volvo300mania.com/uk/foru...php?f=6&t=8625
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 12:56   #7
JFB

Thanks to all for your opinion & Help

My 340 it's a 83 Model and at moment I do not know the real relation of my transaxle, but I will confirm that.

I think I find one 340 in a scrapyeard from 84 with 5 gears, and if it had a good price for me change my M45 to M47 of those of scrapyeard.
JFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 13:39   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFB View Post
Thanks to all for your opinion & Help

My 340 it's a 83 Model and at moment I do not know the real relation of my transaxle, but I will confirm that.

I think I find one 340 in a scrapyeard from 84 with 5 gears, and if it had a good price for me change my M45 to M47 of those of scrapyeard.
sounds good ! but will not be easy to find one now , Don't hesitate if you see one with a 1.7 engine get that gearbox and propshaft for a spare . MIght as well get driveshafts too .

The 340 situation has settled down now , they have been out of production for 27 years , and were in production for 14 years before that . Some were prone to rust , they are long gone .. the rest seemed to stay in great shape and are owned by people , The scrappage scheme took a lot away too .
so not likely to be any in scrap yards , just keep an eye on e-bay you might get one every 6 months or so .