Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bowers & Wilkins v Harman Kardon

Views : 19839

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 26th, 2018, 14:11   #1
PaulBendall

Default Bowers & Wilkins v Harman Kardon

I know this has been discussed previously but thought it interesting to see both systems mentioned in a top-20 list of all car manufacturer / audio system combinations.

Summary seems to be they are both good, comes down to money and diminishing returns

Volvo and Bowers & Wilkins
...if you’re after the best sound experience in a new Volvo, the Sensus Connect with Premium Sound by Bowers & Wilkins is one of the finest systems at any price. Available in the larger models, this 1,400-watt, 18-speaker system even contains a Gothenburg Concert Hall sound setting, which has to be heard to be believed.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/owner...anntp#image=12

Volvo and Harman Kardon
The 600-watt Premium Sound audio in the Volvo XC40 is the latest in-car system from Harman Kardon and includes 13 speakers, 7.1-channel surround sound, vehicle noise compensation and automatic level adjustment. At £550, it’s a no-brainer.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/owner...anntp#image=11
Old Nov 26th, 2018, 16:03   #2
MaDProFF
Master Member

Problem is the difference is so big many cannot justify it, myself included, even though I could have easily afforded it, it is a lot of money to pay to listen to music in the car.
Old Nov 26th, 2018, 18:52   #3
moexius

I think B&W is just an extravagance option. It is the most expensive option available for all CMA and SPA. A total waste of money imho.
moexius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2018, 19:17   #4
Duri13

The other day I had a chance to try B&W in V60 but I was not very much impressed, probably my audio source was not good or something. Anyway, I cannot justify its price (2500EUR) so I will opt for HK instead (800EUR), mainly for the subwoofer and then also for the hope that it will sound better than the standard system.
past: XC60 D4 FWD AT (MY 2015)
Duri13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Duri13 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2018, 21:04   #5
PaulBendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duri13 View Post
The other day I had a chance to try B&W in V60 but I was not very much impressed, probably my audio source was not good or something. Anyway, I cannot justify its price (2500EUR) so I will opt for HK instead (800EUR), mainly for the subwoofer and then also for the hope that it will sound better than the standard system.
Has to be why the introduced the HK option, still a very nice system. I went for the B&W because I had the HK in my previous V40 and was disappointed. I do like the detail you get throughout the whole range of frequencies without distortion and the signal delay to create a better stereo sound stage for the driver. You are right that a good lossless source is required, DAB doesn't cut it and without a CD player, lossless audio sources are difficult to come by.

But is it worth £2,500? No.
Old Nov 26th, 2018, 22:58   #6
JC888

Good quality in-car audio system is top priority for me due to the amount of tie I spend inside. I have experienced a few top end systems (Burmeister, H&K, B&O etc) and have to say at the moment B&W is the best overall. Consistent performance in all ranges.
Shame I can't get FLAC files to play however Spotify at High quality is also really good.
Old Nov 26th, 2018, 23:13   #7
volvocat

£3k in XC/V/S90 !!
Having had all the upgraded sound systems in various cars, I am convinced B&W is the best in so many ways, close second being the original Dynaudio from c.2008.
The later Premium Sound and H-K were good but a little disappointing by comparison.
But would I buy it new at full price? No!
Just lucky to have got it in a really high-spec used car...!
volvocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2018, 20:02   #8
Duri13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulBendall View Post
You are right that a good lossless source is required, DAB doesn't cut it and without a CD player, lossless audio sources are difficult to come by.
No DAB in Luxembourg. CD takes half of the storage space in the central box, which means it is not on my order list.
So I will have to live with Apple Music streaming (BT, WiFi or cable) or USB
I kind of think that spending 800 for HK will be a waste money but I cannot help myself. The standard audio is OK but there is a tiny hope that HK will be noticable better...
past: XC60 D4 FWD AT (MY 2015)
Duri13 is offline   Reply With Quote