Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo BT PHONE P3GSM - Phone Module (PHM) Bluetooth update

Views : 5183

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 24th, 2021, 19:04   #1
marekbm

Default Volvo BT PHONE P3GSM - Phone Module (PHM) Bluetooth update

Hi everyone,
If you have a Phone module (PHM) in the car but you don't use it (it needs an extra SIM card) then it's possible to rebuild it into Bluetooth Hands-Free module.

I would like to introduce my product: Volvo BT PHONE P3GSM.

You can simply replace obsolete GSM modem in the PHM by this Bluetooth module. And you can enjoy these new features:

Hands-Free:
- it's not a GSM phone module anymore but Bluetooth Hands-Free with the use of original microphone (in rearview mirror) and speaker (drivers seat)
- contacts are read out from the connected cellphone (max. 600 contacts).
- maximum of 16 paired devices (just one active connection).
- automatic connection with the last connected cellphone, if not found then it tries to connect to any paired
- incoming and outgoing calls on the center panel.
- same control as before - buttons on Steering wheel and Phone module. Green button - accept the call, red button - reject the call
- DTMF tones are also supported

Music in the radio:
- you can listen the music from your cellphone in the radio (A2DP + AVRCP).
- next / previous track, play / pause available via dialing shortcuts.
- currently supported audio routes:
- - FM transmitter extension - listen to the music on the FM receiver supporting RDS.
- - Analog audio extension - connects the Bluetooth module AUX out to audio system AUX in and listens to*the*music (wirelessly*from the cellphone).
- I plan to experiment with:
- - MOST extension simulates AUU (probably only S80, V/XC70)

Another features:
- simple firmware update and extra settings via Bluetooth. You can use a smartphone or laptop.

Supported cars: (all cars with PHM that look like PHM shown in the documentation)
- P1 (C70,S40,V50) platform (-2010?)
- P3 (S80,V/XC70,S60) platform (-2010)
- XC90 (P2 platform)

Caution: iPhone works well but it doesn't support send files via Bluetooth! For the first run you will probably need a laptop or smartphone with Android or Windows Mobile.

Documentation
Firmware to download

The Bluetooth module and extensions will be available soon on D5T5 eshop.

Everything just by replacing one board in the PHM module. Nothing that marred the interior of the car.
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 19:57   #2
marekbm

coming very soon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (226.9 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (312.1 KB, 64 views)
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 00:13   #3
paddy74

Old Jan 29th, 2021, 06:25   #4
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Good timing.

On 26 January 2021, the day you posted this, Swisscom switched off the 2G network in Switzerland.
Forever.
Rest In Peace 2G.

Hello Marek :
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 06:39   #5
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Hello marekbm

Questions:

I have a MY2009 XC90 with MOST-based HighPerformance audio system, and factory fitted 2G (900/1800) phone and fitted Phone handset (as well as roof microphone and sound through stereo system).
I do not have the OnCall system.
I also have the RSE rear seat entertainment with DVD player that is connected to the AUX in input when no cable is fitted to the AUF connector.

Questions:
Does your module work on this system?
Does it support the physical privacy handset? (the handset with the curly cord)
Does it support the all the steering wheel phone navigation buttons (Up/Down, Volume Up/Down)?

How do you wire the physical AUX cable? I see your instructions do not mention the AUX wiring...
Can you hard-wire the AUX in in parallel to the DVD player input?
If so, wouldn't the DVD player audio override the Bluetooth audio if the rear seat passengers are watching a DVD and the front seat passengers want to listen to bluetooth audio via AUX?
(One solution is a AUX in relay to hard switch the audio input)

I am very interested in your module
I also have VIDA/DICS and am an electronics engineer so I understand what you are going through.. well done.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 16:49   #6
boombox

Hi Marek

I'm curious as to whether your product would possibly allow me to stream music to my car (XC90 2007) without a need to use the aux in port which is currently afflicted by an awful clicking noise?
I wasn't clear over whether it could stream music via Bluetooth directly into the stereo WITHOUT using the aux in?
boombox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2021, 21:19   #7
marekbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
I also have the RSE rear seat entertainment with DVD player that is connected to the AUX in input when no cable is fitted to the AUF connector.
Does your module work on this system?
no problem, but:
- if you choose AUX out extension module then you have to physically select (plug/unplug AUX from BT module) what you want to listen due to AUX sharing (BT module/DVD).
- if you choose FM transmitter extension module then AUX will be used for DVD and you can listen to the BT music via the car radio (FM receiver) with RDS notifications. I use it in my car, it has quite a big external dipole antenna so quality is good. from time to time you have to change the frequency but it is not an issue (easy to change with dial commands). and if you have AF active then the radio will change the frequency itself.

Quote:
Does it support the physical privacy handset? (the handset with the curly cord)
all PHM features are without the change. works like the PHM with the SIM. because it is still the same PHM . only the SIM slot woll stay unplugged .

Quote:
Does it support the all the steering wheel phone navigation buttons (Up/Down, Volume Up/Down)?
yes and no.
- the volume is provided by the audio system so you will always be able to use the volume buttons.
- neither the AUX nor FM transmitter extension modules support next /prev buttons. due to this disadvantages there is an another option:
- - prev button alternative: dial 444
- - next button alternative: dial 666
- - play/pause button alternative: dial 555

Quote:
How do you wire the physical AUX cable? I see your instructions do not mention the AUX wiring...
from the BT module AUX output (if you have an AUX extension) jack (stereo, 3.5mm) to the AUX in of the radio (stereo, 3.5mm).

Quote:
Can you hard-wire the AUX in in parallel to the DVD player input?

(One solution is a AUX in relay to hard switch the audio input)
you have answered your question. you have to have a relay for audio signal switch (due to mixing) and relay relay for emulating connector insertion.

it is possible to implement it on another version of AUX output extension module and add support to the firmware to switch if music is playing.

Quote:
If so, wouldn't the DVD player audio override the Bluetooth audio if the rear seat passengers are watching a DVD and the front seat passengers want to listen to bluetooth audio via AUX?
i guess that an external connector has a higher priority. it is a hardware designed feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
I'm curious as to whether your product would possibly allow me to stream music to my car (XC90 2007) without a need to use the aux in port which is currently afflicted by an awful clicking noise?
if you have not an AUX input or you do not want to use it or you want to see the track tags then you can use the FM transmitter extension module. if you use it then music is streamed via FM transmitter (also mentioned above in this message).

FM transmitter features:
- RDS track info
- supports AF
- has dipole external antenna so quality is really surprising (of course not as good as analog or digital)

and to be sure more detailed explanation:

the bluetooth module itself is only hands-free. but it supports extensions (for audio streaming).

at the moment there are 2 options how to transfer music from bluetooth module to car audio system:
- cable connection (analog) - with AUX output extension module
- wireless connection (FM) - with FM transmitter extension module (not every car has AUX in)

i will post the images in the next message.
Old Jan 30th, 2021, 21:30   #8
marekbm

standalone bt module
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 - bt module.jpg (227.4 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by marekbm; Jan 30th, 2021 at 21:32.
marekbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2021, 21:33   #9
marekbm

bt module + fm transmitter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2a - bt module + fm transmitter.jpg (384.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 2b - bt module + fm transmitter.jpg (373.8 KB, 20 views)
Old Jan 30th, 2021, 21:34   #10
marekbm

bt module + aux output
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3a - bt module + aux output.jpg (227.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 3b - bt module + aux output.jpg (234.5 KB, 20 views)