Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Heart breaking choice to sell Amazon Estate turbo project

Views : 4765

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 4th, 2009, 13:59   #1
billibob1980

Default Heart breaking choice to sell Amazon Estate turbo project

Ok so here we go… Up for sale is my unfinished Amazon estate project. I bought the car last year and drove it around for a month or 2 until the engine died a horrid death. I the replaced the engine and months later the head gasket went. So after ummming and arrrring I decided to take her off the road and do a B230 Turbo conversion.

Now some months on I find myself on the end of a hefty pay cut at work and my girlfriend walking out on me…. Oh joy…. So I am now left with NO option but to sell the Amazon to try and keep up with mortgage payments and keep my house.

So what have we got… Well it is a 1968 Amazon estate, Lowered over American racing Torque thrust wheels (7.5 x 17), roof rack, Cadillac back lights, American show plates etc etc…. Body wise it isn’t too bad but is starting to look a little tiered in places namely the rear arches. Ok so now on to the project part. The engine and gear box are sat in the car on mounts but that is about as far as it goes. There is obviously a lot of work to be done including fabricating a exhaust manifold, exhaust, prop shaft, gearbox tunnel, and many other bits. Also there is a lot of plumbing, wiring and fuel to do. I have 90%+ of the bits to finish. The engine is a 1991 Unit and has been rebuilt in the past. I bought it as a complete car and the engine pulled very very well. It is mated to a 5 speed manual gearbox and runs on the mighty LH2.4 System. I no longer have the original turbo but I do have a massive T3 turbo and external wastegate but this is only included if I get the right money! The car itself requires a little tidying but on the whole is very solid (minus the big holes cut in it to get the engine in). It is now out of MOT also.

Whilst it was on the road I also fitted the car with EPS (electronic power steering) and this made the car a dream to drive!

So there you go any questions fire away… Im sure there is plenty I have missed out and I strongly urge anyone interested to come and look.

With reference to price I need to get back as much as possible and it stands me at over £4500 with the car and collection of bits. Now I know I am going to get no-where near that but would like sensible offers and no £300 is not a sensible offer!

Some of you may recognise the car and will know what a beauty she is (before being taken of the road)!

Any questions or to arrange viewing please call me on 07774465996... This really does break my heart!

billibob1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 15:18   #2
jj46

Hi, have you started cutting it all apart or could it easily be put back on the road with a standard amazon engine?
jj46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 18:58   #3
john h
VOC Member

Red face

Really sorry that you're having to sell up. It's a nice car and a nice concept.

I hope you can sell it on to someone who can do it justice.

(And good luck with the personal stuff... hope it works out.)

Cheers

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 09:35   #4
billibob1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj46 View Post
Hi, have you started cutting it all apart or could it easily be put back on the road with a standard amazon engine?
Gearbox tunnel and part of the bulkhead have been cut out (although i still have the tunnel) as has the inner wheel arch (for clearence for the turbo). Also the cross member has been modified. So the answer is yes It has been cut about but with work and a new cross member it could run a standard engine again. Cheers Richard
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 09:39   #5
billibob1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by john h View Post
Really sorry that you're having to sell up. It's a nice car and a nice concept.

I hope you can sell it on to someone who can do it justice.

(And good luck with the personal stuff... hope it works out.)

Cheers

John

Yeah i hope someone will give it the time it needs, Gutted I have to do this.

Thank you for the kind words!
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 15:21   #6
bdthompson

How much and how long will it take if you wanted to complete the work?
bdthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 16:21   #7
billibob1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdthompson View Post
How much and how long will it take if you wanted to complete the work?

Im not sure how to answer that question. Cost wise not alot i wouldnt have thought as 95% of the bits are there. Time wise... Who knows, I dont have much in the way of time anymore!
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 03:06   #8
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I've seen the car a couple of times, and it's entirely made of awesome.

If ready cash is the name of the game, would you consider selling the wheels separately? Ready cash may well be waiting...

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 08:47   #9
billibob1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
I've seen the car a couple of times, and it's entirely made of awesome.

If ready cash is the name of the game, would you consider selling the wheels separately? Ready cash may well be waiting...

cheers

James
Hi James.

You are correct the car is made entirely of awesomeness, However im affraid i cant sell the wheels seperately. The wheels go a long way to making the car. Sorry!

Cheers

Richard
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 09:35   #10
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

A wise man...and I couldn't agree more. Could you tell me a little more about them....source, approximate cost, etc. A mate got a pair in something like 15x10" sent over from the US, but never got around to ordering the fronts. I have a 164 which requires torque thrusts!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post: