Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

6805 Error - Salutory Lesson...

Views : 567

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 7th, 2013, 13:35   #1
Puffster

Default 6805 Error - Salutory Lesson...

Had the bores going on my 220K mile D5 EuroIII - it was using 1 litre water every 50 miles - so decided to put a 2nd hand engine in.

All went well but soon after driving off got the Engine Service/ECM6805 error appeared. Generally after driving it around for a few miles it went for the rest of that journey. Carried on driving it around and after 600 miles the turbo starts to whine. When I get back to London, had a couple of instances of self-ignition (max revs, clouds of smoke). Took it back to garage.

We tried - new injectors, new intercooler, replaced the turbo, new fuel filter, checked the vac on the mounts & when we took the head off found that 2/5 pistons were burnt out/scored so replaced the bottom end...

Unfortunately, the problem has not gone away I now drive it like a complete pussy, accelerating slowly, keeping off-boost as much as possible (or low boost only) and even then (say after a sustained run at m/way speeds) it sometimes comes up with the Engine Service error & goes into limp.

I got so fed up, I went and bought a Range Rover Sport TDV6 ( ) & have taken the XC over to Ireland as an airport run taxi & so I have transport when I'm over there.

I would love to find out what the issue is and have it fixed as its a great car & I miss it. I wouldn't have bought a new one if it had been working.
Puffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 13:53   #2
Puffster

Default Update

So, that was the situation last year...

I kept using it gently as an airport taxi and in fact left it for 8 months outside without using. When it came to start up again, it started fine after battery charged but alternator was knackered. I needed to get an MOT for it, so I took it into Greers of Antrim & they dropped one in and I got the MOT but with an advisory. So seeing as how I will be back in a couple of weeks, I decided to leave it with them to replace the hand-brake backing plates & a couple of small things. I also got the engine to fault so that they could run a diagnostic on it as well.

Rang up today and was told that they had fixed the 6805 error I was expecting something like a sensor or boost-controller etc but he said that it was because the piping for the exhaust had been fitted the wrong way/badly which allowed air to the wrong place - hence the over-boosting...

So....

Not only had the original garage installed the engine wrong the first time, but they did it again the second time. I did a rough tot up and that "mistake" cost me in the region of £12k - About £2500 for the engine rebuild & ancillaries (turbo, i/c, bottom end etc), £3500 for deposit for RRS, £5k of payments + RFL, servicing, insurance etc as no-way would I have bought the RRS if the XC had been working properly.

OK, so I didn't "have" to buy the RRS & could have had the Volvo investigated by someone else etc but it still sticks in the craw, especially as the whole thing has caused grief with my g/friend as well.

The garage is a small concern and I don't think he's in any position to be able to pay me back anything but we will be having words...

So - moral of story is? Don't always go for the cheapest option.

Now, what to sell - RRS or Volvo XC?
Puffster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puffster For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 15:51   #3
RM955I
Premier Member

To help you decide on which car to sell, here's some help:

Are you a fooballer/drug dealer/hair salon owner?

Do you live in Essex/Cheshire?

Do you have a hot tub installed in your postage stamp sized garden?

Is your wife orange?

Do you think that Sharm El Sheik is a posh resort?

Is your car worth more than your house?

Would you pay a lot of money for a designer watch which, when all said and done, has a quartz movement rather than a proper self-winding Swiss movement?

If you answered mainly "no" sell the Range Rover. If you answered mainly "yes" then looking on the positive side they do say that suicide is painless.

Last edited by RM955I; Aug 7th, 2013 at 15:57.
RM955I is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RM955I For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 16:30   #4
Norfolk Jim
Norfolk Jim

Did you pay for any of that work on credit card??

If you did as little as £100 you can claim it all back even if he'd gone under.

I successfully got brand new gearbox fitted on my sons van which wouldn't go into 5th after we bought it. I paid deposit on card and the rest cash.

Van dealer no longer trading and secondhand gearboxes like hens teeth - card company agreed to pay all inc fitting costs. This was dealt with v quick under section 75 sale of goods act. I did complaint in April having bought van last August......................
Norfolk Jim is offline   Reply With Quote