Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ignition / Starting Problems

Views : 588

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 3rd, 2010, 18:48   #1
nikgallagher

Default Ignition / Starting Problems

For the last few months I have been having the electrical problems associated with the ignition barrel where you have to turn the key back slightly to put out the ABS light.
I get a whirring sort of sound coming from starter motor area but nothing else. The dash lights all come on as expected in position 2, but on turning the key round nothing happens. No click, no attempt at turning over, nothing!
I am hoping that by changing the electical part of the ignition (great How To by the way Jod) it may sort it, but I can't find any posts that link the ignition wierdness with an actual failure to start. Anyone else had this problem following the ignition issues?
Old May 3rd, 2010, 18:52   #2
nikgallagher

Default ** Retyped **

For the last few months I have been having the electrical problems associated with the ignition barrel where you have to turn the key back slightly to put out the ABS light.
However, after servicing the car today it won't start at all. The dash lights all come on as expected in position 2, but on turning the key round nothing happens. I get a whirring sort of sound coming from starter motor area but nothing else. No click, no attempt at turning over, nothing! Pretty sure I've not disturbed any of the electrics during the service.
I am hoping that by changing the electical part of the ignition (great How To by the way Jod) it may sort it, but I can't find any posts that link the ignition wierdness with an actual failure to start. Anyone else had this problem following the ignition issues?
Old May 7th, 2010, 09:25   #3
nikgallagher

Default Sorted

Turns out that the battery was kaput. Bought a new 70Ah Bosch jobbie from ECP (about half what Halfords wanted) and it's working fine now.
Replaced the ignition starter switch too so don't have the random indicator and ABS lights anymore.