Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 problem help please

Views : 623

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 5th, 2010, 14:44   #1
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

Default V70 problem help please

My work colleague has a V70 97 2.5 auto and he has a problem with the engine light coming on, so far he's replaced the O2 sensor and replaced the MAF but the light still comes on, he read the codes and it throwing up P0405 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor "A" Circuit Low, any idea or suggestions as to what he can try next??, he said the car seems to under perform a little sluggish and he's getting worse than normal MPG
scoobysn7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 21:28   #2
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Don't remember any petrol V70 supplied in the UK having EGR.

Could you find out exactly which engine it is, the engine code should be on the cambelt cover, something like B5254S I expect.
A confirmation of the actual fault code may help.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 21:47   #3
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

Its a P reg 2438cc, I double check the fault code tomorrow when I see him at work thanks
Old May 7th, 2010, 11:04   #4
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

Default Engin no

Number is B5254S

0405 is the only code I have managed to get from the reader, although it is a generic code reader not Volvo specific. If there is a reasonably priced reader out there I would be willing to try it.
Old May 7th, 2010, 11:25   #5
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

Default Additional info

When the light is on the car seems to run normally. When the code is reset/cleared the car idles a bit roughly when cold but OK after warming up. The mpg is about 24 to 26 if the multi function trip meter is to be believed. Also the meter indicates 6 to 14 mpg for the first mile or so then settles down, I assume this is the electronic choke. I believe the MPG indicator is giving some really low readings at times when you would expect a lot better, it just seems to be generally erratic, this is only a gut feel compared to my memory of how my old 850 2.0 used to react. The most noticable thing is you accelerate then take your foot of the power, it is very often takes 3 or 4 meter changes to reflect that you are not still gas guzzeling.