Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Someone hit my car in Tesco! 😡😫

Views : 2668

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 11:59   #11
AlexV70Drive1

Right that’s good, depending on if the cctv and anpr if they have it comes good then I’ll hand it to the police and I’ll call the insurance to report it and see what they tell me, depending on what they say I will then go the route of cleaning it up and doing what you said and break out the compound and paint to tidy it up.
Or making a claim and trying to buy the car back, they value it at £6000 odd so if I could squeeze them for anywhere near that I’d be happy and then try to buy it back for less than the payout and maybe be in front with money so It will pay for the damage but that’s a long shot. The car is really nice ,it drives well. I only put a new set of brakes on it a few weeks ago.

I’m not worried about higher premiums as they always go up anyway and I usually switch each year for a better price. I won’t be put off trying to get justice for my Volvo, at least until all the possible options have been explored. The perpetrator will just continue to disrespect others property if no one does anything about it they’ll think they can get away with it over and over again and it’s a customer at the Tesco where my mother works so finding the person will benefit everyone who works there as they all have cars they want to keep looking nice.

I’ll have to take the bumper off to replace the headlight washer as it’s snapped the part inside the bumper as well as rip the cover off, So will try to put it back on straight.

We will have a look around were I parked it incase the cover is still there and in a salvageable condition to keep the costs down. I don’t know why I didn’t look for it that day. Too ****ed off I guess. Glad my pictures are good lol I thought I was the only one who could view the originals.
AlexV70Drive1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 13:19   #12
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Once you have reported an accident to your insurers, the underwriters will use it in the risk calculation that they make when you renew and it may have an effect on your premium regardless of whether you decided to make a claim or pay for the damage or not. Underwriting is about risk assessment and anything which throws light on the risk you pose to your insurers will be considered in the calculation. Where you drive your car and where you park it if it might lead to an accident is data that they would consider.
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 17:06   #13
Kev0607
Premier Member

Many car parks have signs that say "Vehicles parked in this car park are left at the owners risk", or something along those lines. If there's a sign that says this in the car park in question, then I don't think there's much you can do unfortunately.

Just something else to consider.
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 18:58   #14
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Many car parks have signs that say "Vehicles parked in this car park are left at the owners risk", or something along those lines. If there's a sign that says this in the car park in question, then I don't think there's much you can do unfortunately.

Just something else to consider.
That sign is simply to deflect claims against the car park's operator. It doesn't absolve another individual from responsibility to take reasonable care.

In my experience, the insurer will write the car off if the repair estimate is 60% or more of the assessor's valuation of the car's worth.

The £6000 is irrelevant unless you have actual agreed value insurance. I had a rare car written off a couple of years ago because the assessor had no info to go on and valued it at a very low level. This wasn't as bad as it sounded. As in your case, there was no structural or safety-related damage to the car and I was able to buy it back for not much money. I ended up with a small profit and a better car!

------------------------------------------------------
Comfy and roomy but a bit boring. I've had two.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 19:14   #15
Maurice Mynah
New Member and total Prat

"Vehicles parked in this car park are left at the owners risk"
That sign means almost nothing. If your car is hit, it will mean someone was negligent. That sign does not negate negligence.
The Following User Says Thank You to Maurice Mynah For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 21:56   #16
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexV70Drive1 View Post
Right that’s good, depending on if the cctv and anpr if they have it comes good then I’ll hand it to the police and I’ll call the insurance to report it and see what they tell me, depending on what they say I will then go the route of cleaning it up and doing what you said and break out the compound and paint to tidy it up.
Or making a claim and trying to buy the car back, they value it at £6000 odd so if I could squeeze them for anywhere near that I’d be happy and then try to buy it back for less than the payout and maybe be in front with money so It will pay for the damage but that’s a long shot. The car is really nice ,it drives well. I only put a new set of brakes on it a few weeks ago.

I’m not worried about higher premiums as they always go up anyway and I usually switch each year for a better price. I won’t be put off trying to get justice for my Volvo, at least until all the possible options have been explored. The perpetrator will just continue to disrespect others property if no one does anything about it they’ll think they can get away with it over and over again and it’s a customer at the Tesco where my mother works so finding the person will benefit everyone who works there as they all have cars they want to keep looking nice.

I’ll have to take the bumper off to replace the headlight washer as it’s snapped the part inside the bumper as well as rip the cover off, So will try to put it back on straight.

We will have a look around were I parked it incase the cover is still there and in a salvageable condition to keep the costs down. I don’t know why I didn’t look for it that day. Too ****ed off I guess. Glad my pictures are good lol I thought I was the only one who could view the originals.
I know its hard to judge off pictures, but I don't think the damage is that bad in terms of cost to fix. Of course, that doesn't excuse what happened your vehicle & obviously there's going to be some kind of cost to fix it, but I don't envisage it to be ridiculously expensive. Therefore, I don't think it'll reach the stage of the insurance company giving you the option to buy the vehicle back. This is only my opinion though, so don't quote me on that.

If an insurance company writes a vehicle off because the repair bill is more than 60% of the value, as mentioned above, then that means there needs to be £3,600 plus worth of damage if your car is worth £6k for them to write it off. Looking at the pictures, I don't see the damage to your car costing that amount to be fixed, so the car probably won't be written off.

Obviously, this would need to be clarified with your insurance company. These are just my thoughts.

Last edited by Kev0607; Jul 2nd, 2020 at 22:00.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 22:26   #17
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I still say your best option is to pop in to the local Police station and try and find a decent copper - there are a good few around still. I think that's your only hope...

You cannot submit a Data Subject Access Request to the ANPR company as you are not asking for your own personal data.

For similar reasons I don't think Tesco will release the CCTV footage to you and your mother should not be allowed access. There's a very small chance you might get somewhere if you read the CCTV signs in the carpark (legal requirement) and you write to the registered operator (likely Tesco head office). The CCTV signage will say that it is used for public safety and detection of crime - if they are convinced a crime has taken place they might help but I think it's much more likely they will only deal with the Police.

You can ask to see the CCTV of your own vehicle and they have to provide you with it but they will likely redact/obscure anything in the image that constitutes anyone else's personal data.

If you could just get the reg number then you can start a claim through the MID database.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 3rd, 2020, 07:40   #18
Maurice Mynah
New Member and total Prat

"If an insurance company writes a vehicle off because the repair bill is more than 60% of the value, as mentioned above, then that means there needs to be £3,600 plus worth of damage if your car is worth £6k for them to write it off. Looking at the pictures, I don't see the damage to your car costing that amount to be fixed, so the car probably won't be written off."

Good point well made, but one should allow for the fact that Coachwork companies will slightly load the quote for a repair if it's going to be paid for by an insurance company. Also, the job will be done to "showroom standards" which also tends to be reflected in the price.
The Following User Says Thank You to Maurice Mynah For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 3rd, 2020, 09:29   #19
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Agree with the above - looking at the pics I don't think that's even close to a total loss.

Most bumpers are repaired these days, there are very specific techniques and equipment to repair and re-shape plastic bumpers to "as new" condition.

I'd get it into a local body shop and ask for a quote on a cash basis, see what it comes back as.

FYI many Volvo bumpers are supplied from the factory pre-painted to the car colour. This makes the bumper more expensive but the overall repair cheaper...
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 3rd, 2020, 20:01   #20
Ian21401
Premier Member

Is the damaged section a removable/replaceable section of the front “bumper”? If so, it’s likely to be fitted with plastic tongues/clips and an occasional screw. Our daughter managed to damage two parts of the front bumper on her 2011 XC70. I obtained replacement parts from the main dealer and fitted them myself. I think total bill was about £300 for the parts. No bodging or spraying required.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post: