Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Remaped ECU?

Views : 614

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2010, 13:26   #1
scr8pdo
Premier Member

Default Remaped ECU?

Is there any way of telling if my car has been remapped by looking at the ecu? I noticed the cover for the ECUs has the clips broken, this happened on my previous car after it had been remapped, I dont want ro get an upgrade if the car is already done, any advice would be great
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 13:36   #2
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr8pdo View Post
Is there any way of telling if my car has been remapped by looking at the ecu? I noticed the cover for the ECUs has the clips broken, this happened on my previous car after it had been remapped, I dont want ro get an upgrade if the car is already done, any advice would be great
Assuming it doesn't have an MBC stick a boost gauge on it. If, at WOT, it boosts over 10 psi then chances are its been remapped.

A remap is a reflash of the software so other than looking at the actual software on the ECU there is no DEFINITE way of confirming it has a remap.

If the security strap/screw is missing/looks tampered with then that could be an indication. A better indication is what boost it's pulling BUT this can be affected by other variables e.g. it might be remapped but if you have an underlying problem it might not boost more than normal.

Sorry, that's not really helpful is it. Although if you are going to tune it a proper boost gauge is really an essential anyway.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 13:53   #3
scr8pdo
Premier Member

Thanks for the reply, at the moment its not boosting much at all, hoses split, I just didnt want to buy a remapped ecu to find it had already been done, good point on the screws Il check them, regards Steve
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 19:42   #4
scr8pdo
Premier Member

Just had another look under the bonnet, what I originally thought was a piece of black tape over the top of the ECU cover is actually a metal strap with a tamper proof bolt clamping it shut, so I assume this is the factory tamper proof strap?
If so the car cannot have been remapped then?
My old T5 never had this metal strap when I owned thats why when I glanced at this earlier I thought it was tape holding the broken lid on DOH!
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 12:01   #5
bembo449

surely if you had a T5 before you'd know straight away what a chipped one would go like !? ie s**t off a shovel ! lol
bembo449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 13:39   #6
scr8pdo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bembo449 View Post
surely if you had a T5 before you'd know straight away what a chipped one would go like !? ie s**t off a shovel ! lol
Yeah I know mate but this one has running problem at the moment cause intake hose has massive split, its just that an ECU has come up and I didnt want to lay out finding it had already been done