Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What Tyre?

Views : 1481

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 9th, 2015, 09:20   #11
Velorum
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie View Post
Velorum, the only Falkens listed in that size are something like 'Sincera' (without Googling again I can't be sure). They're charging me around £55 fitted and balanced, so that seems fair. The speed letter is 'T', which I think is 112mph, so I don't think I'll have any problems there!

From what's been said I'm rather glad I asked the local garage to return the Goodride tyre they'd sourced for me.
That's a good price fitted Angie - I think that you will be pleased with them.

Goodride seem to be the cheapest that you can get at £30 each - you are far better off with Falkens.

I am sometimes amused by comments from tyre places re fitting 'light van' tyres to the 240. Whats the problem? That is kind of what it is!
The Following User Says Thank You to Velorum For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2015, 19:59   #12
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post

N.B 185/80 usually means a van tyre(!), .

Only if they are marked 185/80 C (for commercial).

Commercial tyres are usually 8-ply, car tyres are 4-ply. They will be marked which.

There's an old argument here about whether the commercial tyres are OK on a car. The answer appears to be that they are legal but may just possibly be judged by an insurance company as non-standard.
Some people say they give a harsher ride and poorer cornering. on the other hand they have a much chunkier tread, give better grip on snow, mud and squashed leaves, and are much cheaper.
Also, in my experience, they last much longer. I got 50,000 miles out of the previous set.

But as with lots of slightly non-standard improvements, purists don't like them.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2015, 21:17   #13
Velorum
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
Only if they are marked 185/80 C (for commercial).

Commercial tyres are usually 8-ply, car tyres are 4-ply. They will be marked which.

There's an old argument here about whether the commercial tyres are OK on a car. The answer appears to be that they are legal but may just possibly be judged by an insurance company as non-standard.
Some people say they give a harsher ride and poorer cornering. on the other hand they have a much chunkier tread, give better grip on snow, mud and squashed leaves, and are much cheaper.
Also, in my experience, they last much longer. I got 50,000 miles out of the previous set.

But as with lots of slightly non-standard improvements, purists don't like them.
Good call Clifford

Cant see any problem with them personally

We are hardly talking about Porch 911's here - these old buses are sturdy workhorses not sports cars
Old Aug 9th, 2015, 21:26   #14
tannachyallen
240SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
Good call Clifford

Cant see any problem with them personally

We are hardly talking about Porch 911's here - these old buses are sturdy workhorses not sports cars
.....even a 911 can benefit from beefier tyres for the rough.........

Dave A.

240 SE Auto 1991
tannachyallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2015, 21:28   #15
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Default Bus is a workhorse!

[QUOTE=Clifford Pope;1960064]Only if they are marked 185/80 C (for commercial).
Commercial tyres are usually 8-ply, car tyres are 4-ply. They will be marked which.QUOTE]

Thanks for pointing that out.

You know I thought my 245 was a sports car...

Jon.

Last edited by Prufrock; Aug 9th, 2015 at 21:53. Reason: typo...
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2015, 21:46   #16
Angie
Premier Member

Sometimes mine thinks it's a sports car! Even with a 2ltr engine by using the gears it can give the boy racers a run for their money. I was being slightly hassled leaving a 40mph and up a steepish three-lane hill so I thought it wouldn't do the engine any harm to m make it work a bit. Second gear and foot down and said hassler receded significantly! Both my father and brother said it does an engine good to have a bit of a 'blow-out' once in a while. Mine does tend to have a fairly easy life most of the time though.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Angie For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2015, 12:12   #17
hennabm

I recently bouht 4 new tyres for my Tank.
As the DL was originally specified for 185/14 and these were only in "commercial" range I opted for the 185/80/14 as they are only 2% difference. This kept my speedo reading the same.

I bought the Falken Sincera tyres from Black circle and included delivery and fitting for £55 per tyre.

I have found them to be a reasonable tyre, given the use I put my Tank to.

I would recommend them for "normal" Tank use.
2010 116d
2011 X3 3.0d
hennabm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hennabm For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2015, 16:14   #18
Reg E

I fitted 185/14 Falkens 5 years back now on my 240 Estate and although my mileage is only a couple of thousand miles a year I really can't fault them.

No real signs of wear and the ride is quiet and comfortable.
Reg E is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reg E For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2015, 17:36   #19
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Tyres are a subject where everyone will never agree and brands change over the years so what was a good tyre once next time might change drastically in how it performs next time around.

Barum I have found to be fairly consistant. In the dry they do the job and not a problem, not amazing grip but work. In the wet leathal with next to no grip. Hate to think how they would perform in the wet. A tyre fitter freind of mine who knew better fitted a set to his car. Couple of months later crashed going slowly on a slightly damp twisty road and could only put it down to the tyres.

Goodyear, only tred them twice and wear was hopeless. they were worn away after 3000 miles on teh back of the car. Grip was good in both wet and dry but wear was hopeless

Stunner, used to be a great tyre and I used them for years. they then changed teh design and the grip was down water dispersal worse and wear was very bad only lasting 5000 miles

Wang Lee, had these on a car that needed a wheel bearing only there was no play in the bearing just a bad rumble. Swapped the tyres and problem solved. Wet grip also poor

Sunny, again lots of road noise and very bad wet grip with no snow grip

I now use Runway Enduro tyres. Wear is ok, grip in the dry is good and the behave in the wet

Just my personal experiance with budget brands
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 22:46   #20
vandf240

Default Tyres

Just put 4 Nokian Line 195 60 15's on my 240 (on Virgo's). Same price here in Australia as Japanese/Korean tyres and they were the test winner in the 2015 ADAC summer tyre test (185/60 R14 H).

I'll keep you posted on performance, wear etc. They are rated as a summer tyre (which is fine for Sydney as we never have snow or ice here - at least on the coast).

They seem to be available for around 50 pounds in the UK.
vandf240 is offline   Reply With Quote