Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tow bar fault

Views : 2209

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 23rd, 2023, 13:13   #1
Scotia64

Default Tow bar fault

When I ordered my xc90 I ticked the option of tow bar , everything worked perfectly until last September on the way home I heard a clunky thudding noise, so much so that I pulled off the motorway onto the hard shoulder to check everything out, all seemed ok & we carried on home with the thudding noise.
The caravan was put away for the winter & I never gave the issue a thought until last month when I brought the van home from storage & the thudding noise was still there.
One of my neighbours is a caravaner with the old shape xc60, we used his car to tow my van & there wasn’t a sound.
I took my van in for its service 2 weeks ago & thud thud all the way to the service guy. He let me tow one of his vans to make sure the noise stayed with the car. Sure enough it did.
The car is out of warranty (over 3 yrs) & it’s going into volvo tomorrow for the tow bar to be checked out, hopefully they find a fault & fix it for free , when you think about it the tow bar is seldom used & for a whole year due to covid restrictions it wasn’t used.
I really don’t want to fork out another £1200 for a new towbar.
Old Mar 24th, 2023, 18:23   #2
Scotia64

I took the car in to taggerts (lookers) Glasgow this morning, I saw the service manager Russel. A really helpful guy, the car was taken into the workshop & the bumper removed & all the fixings on the towbar were checked, unfortunately everything was ok.
This job was done FOC, I then took the car to the caravan storage & took the van out for a run, unfortunately the thudding noise is still there.
I don’t know what to do next , volvo say the car is ok & the service engineer says the van is ok to.
Old Mar 24th, 2023, 18:58   #3
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotia64 View Post
I took the car in to taggerts (lookers) Glasgow this morning, I saw the service manager Russel. A really helpful guy, the car was taken into the workshop & the bumper removed & all the fixings on the towbar were checked, unfortunately everything was ok.
This job was done FOC, I then took the car to the caravan storage & took the van out for a run, unfortunately the thudding noise is still there.
I don’t know what to do next , volvo say the car is ok & the service engineer says the van is ok to.
Go into the garage with the van and demonstrate the noise? Also if you grasp the tow bar and strongly lift the car up and down on the suspension, does it knock?
- MY17 V60 T4 Power Blue.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2023, 19:44   #4
Scotia64

There isn’t any noise from the towbar or the hitch of the van , I can hitch up & use the jockey wheel to raise the car without noise.
I’ve used a friends car to tow my van & there isn’t any thudding, I’ve also towed another van & the noise is there. That’s why I was convinced it was the car. But the dealer says the car is spot on, I’m reluctant to put an other tow bar on @ £1200 & it doesn’t fix the problem.
This is my 6th new tow car & I haven’t had a problem like this before.
Old Mar 24th, 2023, 19:49   #5
Lancee
Premier Member

Is there movement between the ball hitch and the caravan towbar ? In other words is the caravan "balancing" on its axle/s when I believe it should be nose heavy for correct towing ?

Edited, looks like you beat me to it with the previous posting !
Lancee is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lancee For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2023, 20:04   #6
Scotia64

The noise originally started while I was towing home last September.
Old Mar 24th, 2023, 20:40   #7
Raddish

Ok, different car and different towbar, but my last car was a xc70 with removable towbar (current is v90cc with electric). But the 6 bolts that for the towbar unit to the car’s chassis came loose causing mine to bang on bumps, acceleration and braking. Towbar was fine. Had to pay a garage £40 to fix it because I didn’t have that big a spanner’s with me on holiday. Is there any movement in the towball?
Raddish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2023, 21:27   #8
Scotia64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddish View Post
Ok, different car and different towbar, but my last car was a xc70 with removable towbar (current is v90cc with electric). But the 6 bolts that for the towbar unit to the car’s chassis came loose causing mine to bang on bumps, acceleration and braking. Towbar was fine. Had to pay a garage £40 to fix it because I didn’t have that big a spanner’s with me on holiday. Is there any movement in the towball?
It’s the electric towbar I have, it’s a solid as a rock , that’s what’s perplexing about this whole situation, as I said before the dealership took the bumper off today & made sure all the fixings were ok, the engineer didn’t get any movement on any bolt & said it’s safe to tow with.
Old Mar 24th, 2023, 21:33   #9
Whyman
Premier Member

Have you checked the diameter of the towball?

If it is warn then this might explain the noise!
Old Mar 25th, 2023, 06:55   #10
watto64

Appreciating the fact you have tried a combination of tow car and caravans to try to replicate the noise etc but have you tried simply greasing the caravan drawbar.

When ever i get any thudding i know its time to get the grease gun out and the give away is vertical play when you grab the hitch and lift it up and down. We tow around 2K miles a year and grease the draw bar probably 3 times between the annual service.

Whats to say the caravan you tried also needed greasing or the XC60 may have sat differently imparting different forces via the hitch...its worth a try.
watto64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to watto64 For This Useful Post: