Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Electronic Handbrake

Views : 3465

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 24th, 2013, 20:26   #1
Peternb

Default XC60 Electronic Handbrake

I suspect this is a rather stupid question! I am due to take delivery in October (hopefully!) of a manual XC60 D4 AWD MY2014. If you are stopped on a steep hill in a queue of traffic, how does the handbrake work? With a manual handbrake if you were in that situation, once the traffic starts moving you would gradually ease off on the handbrake as you move away, but obviously you can't do that with an electronic one? Thanks for your advice. Peternb
Peternb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2013, 20:35   #2
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peternb View Post
I suspect this is a rather stupid question! I am due to take delivery in October (hopefully!) of a manual XC60 D4 AWD MY2014. If you are stopped on a steep hill in a queue of traffic, how does the handbrake work? With a manual handbrake if you were in that situation, once the traffic starts moving you would gradually ease off on the handbrake as you move away, but obviously you can't do that with an electronic one? Thanks for your advice. Peternb
You just press the accelerator and it releases automatically you only ever need to apply the EPB, as LNG as you have the seatbelt done up it will release when you start to move.

Really useful, and it means you cannot drive away with the brake partly on, unlike the traditional ratchet lever.
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2013, 20:36   #3
mfresh
Nice person

You just start driving and the brake comes off automagically. At least, that's what happens in an automatic.
mfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mfresh For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2013, 20:37   #4
mfresh
Nice person

Ah, Wimorrison, you beat me to it, you grumpy old sod....
mfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2013, 20:51   #5
madman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfresh View Post
You just start driving and the brake comes off automagically. At least, that's what happens in an automatic.
Does in a manual too!
Old Sep 25th, 2013, 15:30   #6
tangey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peternb View Post
As others have said it dis-engages automatically. However its not as useful/flexible as a handbrake, in situations where you are in an uphill queue, or waiting to exit an uphill side road, where you can hold the car on the handbrake, as you inch forward a bit at a time, and reengage etc. The EPB is all on or all off.

Last edited by tangey; Sep 25th, 2013 at 15:33.
tangey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tangey For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2013, 15:53   #7
watchboy

You can however 'hold it on' when towing for example. If you apply the handbrake and are then ready to pull away but are worried about rolling back you can press and hold the handbrake button until you are confident that you have sufficient momentum / traction to pull away!

Or at least it was like that in the V70 and as described in the hand book :-)

So you still have a level of manual intervention. Once you are used to it, it really is a piece of cake...... you can hardly have a moan about the fact that you have to press a button to apply it v's a manual handbrake where you have to manually pull a lever up and then press a button to release it ;-)

Once you are used to it you forget all about it except having to push the button to apply it hopefully.

I'm in a hire car until mine arrives which has a manual handbrake and the number of times I have gone to set off with the hand brake still applied is nobodies business!!

Paul
watchboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to watchboy For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2013, 21:17   #8
Westyman
VOC Member

I have to be so careful in the MX5, the boot release is in a very similar place to the park brake button!!
1972 MG B GT
Westyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2013, 08:58   #9
Harvey1512
Premier Member

I've had my V60 for 14 months now. I have never liked the electronic handbrake, my wife HATES it. Push to engage, lift and depress the brake pedal to release. On a hill start I had to be quick to go from the brake to the accelerator to avoid rolling back. I thought I had read the handbook relating to this but clearly not closely enough. I don't normally bother reading XC60 threads but the electronic handbrake heading caught my eye. After reading the above posts I very excitedly got into my car last night, drove 10m, engaged the brake and then pressed the accelerator. It worked as described on here. I then found a hill, no traffic around, and did the same just to test that it worked on a slope (illogical but just run with it). Of course it worked perfectly. 14 months of hating the electronic handbrake when there was actually no need. Ah well, thank you forum! (slopes off sheepishly)
Old Sep 26th, 2013, 16:19   #10
logiejames
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
...Push to engage, lift and depress the brake pedal to release. On a hill start I had to be quick to go from the brake to the accelerator to avoid rolling back...
When I ordered my XC60 (which I should pickup tomorrow!). I didn't know about the handbrake situation (cos paying attention during a test drive is for squares it seems! Plus I never needed to use it). After I later realised, from a picture, the hand brake wasn't in the usual place I went to ask the dealer and they explained it was a button down on the right. I then went into crazy RTFM mode over fear of how to start on hills and what not cos I imagined it being just like you say it was with your V60 before you knew.

The manual and this thread have very much put me at ease though .