Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Been sold a lemon

Views : 18897

Replies : 237

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 12:48   #11
banksy66
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasjgroom View Post
Yes, I'm going to be taking it back to him and he's going to arrange an independent inspection, i started this thread to see exactly what sort of position i'm in

I want him to give me a full refund as the car is clearly unroadworthy and i don't believe it can be repaired fully

and independent tester did the MOT but because of the plastic sill panels the y wouldn't of been able to see the damage to the door sill
Thanks

Ok, I'll start by saying that although I don't have formal legal training/qualifications, I used to work closely with the Legal Dept of a company which provided finance for cars and issues relating to "Satisfactory Quality" were commonplace, so I gained a lot of experience in the field.

The Sale of Goods and Services Act states a used product (in this case the car) must be of Satisfactory Quality taking into account it's age, general condition, mileage and the price paid. In other words, it is unreasonable to expect a £1300 car to be as good as a £13000 car. However, it is reasonable to expect the car to be in roadworthy condition unless you were notified otherwise before taking delivery, which I assume you were not.
The car passed an MOT because the tester was unable to access the affected area. Therefore both the trader and the tester would be adjudged to have acted in good faith. However, this does not do away with the fact that the car is (presumably) unroadworthy. I say presumably because I'm assuming any hole on a sill would be a fail, but it may be that is not the case as I seem to recall corrossion as such is only a fail on other parts of the car if it is within a certain area of sea/seatbelt mounting points etc. Incidentally, I don't know what car this is but I assume it doesn't have a separate chassis?
So, to be totally honest, I don't know if you are entitled to a refund in these circumstances because no-one could see or access the area concerned. That's not to say you're not entitled however, I'm just saying there are extenuating (sp) circumstances in this case

Incidentally, when it comes to refunds on used cars, you cannot mix in multiple reasons to strengthen your case. The sill issue may be sufficient on its own to warrant a refund, but the fact there is an issue also with the VVT is not necessarily going to strenghten your case. Traders have rights too, one of which is the right to repair and or mitigate (reduce) their loss although again, I don't know if this would apply in your particular case.

Speak to Trading Standards in the morning and run through the scenario with them. Incidentally, if you didn't buy the car local to you, you need to contact the TS office which covers the area where the alleged offence took place (ie the dealer premises)

Hope you get sorted

When people ask “What the hell were you thinking?” I reply "Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain myself".