Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2002 Volvo XC70 2.4 petrol auto, 97k miles, needs repair

Views : 594

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 10th, 2023, 09:49   #1
winster

Default 2002 Volvo XC70 2.4 petrol auto, 97k miles, needs repair

2002 Volvo XC70 2.4 petrol auto, 97k miles, needs easy repair

Here is a link to the Facebook Marketplace add including photos https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4923659694397/

I bought this Volvo XC70 in February as a stop gap car. I now have a new car so this has to go. It needs an easy/cheap repair so will be a bargain for the right person. It has the ABS/Anti skid service required message.

I investigated the front passenger wheel as this seemed to be the issue. I discovered that the bolt for the driveshaft hub was broken, and part of it is stuck inside the hub. Also someone has damaged the top thread on the droplink so the bolt for that came off and won't go back on. I have done a temporary repair and the bottom droplink bolt is seized. So it needs a new driveshaft and bolt (or the snapped bolt removed), and a new droplink. It also occasionally now shows Brake Failure message which must be related to the loose drive shaft, but the brakes do work as normal.

About the car, MOT to 29/03/24, 2 keys, service history. It's a 2.4t petrol auto.

EXTERIOR

Black, some marks and a couple of small car park dings expected of a 21 year old car. Has the customary XC70 front bumper scrape on the passenger corner. 4 good tyres. Comes up well when washed and the plastics are treated but we have a hosepipe ban in Cornwall so she is needing a wash!

INTERIOR

In excellent condition, beige/cream leather in great fettle. Integrated Bluemusic Bluetooth adapter that works with the original stereo and steering wheel buttons, works from the CD changer source. Fold down dog guard and original boot overmat. Would benefit from the handbrake gaiter being changed but I have a new leather one and also one for the gear shifter included in the sale that I didn't get around to fitting (if I can find them). There's no disc for the pop up sat nav but they aren't great anyway! Everything else works as it should, nice cold Aircon and heated memory seats etc.

MECHANICALS

Silky smooth 2.4t petrol engine and auto gearbox, only 97k miles so just run in! In my short ownership I have changed the top engine mount and bottom transmission mount. I have done a couple of auto gearbox drain and refills, and have done the oil and filter and also the fuel filter. Temperature is always bang on where it should be.

She had a cambelt and water pump on 14/04/20 at 88,900 miles. There's service history and invoices for work completed.

The last MOT advised surface corrosion on the rear suspension arms so I had both replaced a few weeks back at a cost of £797.68 (ouch!) with receipts to prove. It had a new exhaust including cat on 10/09/21 costing £1245.47 so that's all good too.

So she just needs to go as I don't have the space, time or inclination to get the driveshaft and droplink sorted and I now have my new car. She is a bargain for anyone prepared to do the work, and at £1200 is priced at a mere fraction of what she owes me. I can't advise driving her away due to the repairs needed, and it would be at your own risk, so would suggest trailering her.

If you wish to view, which I recommend, the car is in St Austell, Cornwall.

Last edited by winster; Jun 10th, 2023 at 09:55.
winster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2023, 19:22   #2
wilssp2009
willsp2009

is this still for sale ? is there a local truted garage near yourself ? as cornwall to scarborough is a far distance
wilssp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote