Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Insurance - a heartfelt warning!

Views : 4234

Replies : 51

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 13th, 2015, 18:23   #21
Haizum74
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo145 View Post
A lot of your own model had 17 inch fitted as standard!
What do you mean fitting the wrong tyres?
I think he meant speed rating.

'08 V50 2.0D
Haizum74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2015, 18:25   #22
volvo145
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran40 View Post
My insurance company are as good as gold always have been only engine mods they are interested in not aesthetics and stereos lol, if it was me mate I'd get on to the ombudsman or some such body and complain like merry hell especially if this is youre first claim, all insurance company's are crooks they know you have no choice but to have it so they call the shots.
His statement.
A family friend who has always worked in insurance has helped me to appeal this via Admiral and the ombudsman, but to no avail

Is there more to this than stated?
volvo145 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo145 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2015, 18:28   #23
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
There are two reasons, firstly the tyres are not listed in the handbook (I forget which V40 model can use 17 inch ones, but it's one of the early sport models I think), so that means the vehicle is non standard in terms of an incorrect initial application.

Fitting the wrong tyres after the policy has been issued is classed as either gross negligence (If they can prove the effect is serious), or an undeclared modification.
I'm not sure that's correct, not in the UK anyway, as an example, a base model 1.4l Mk3 Vauxhall Astra would come with standard 13 inch steelies, whereas a 1.6 sri (again for example) would come with 15 inch alloys, and there would be nothing at all stopping you fitting the 15s to a lesser model (provided it was declared of course) because of the fact that a mk3 Vauxhall Astra originally came with a 15 inch alloy wheel, whether it be on a higher model or as a factory option.

I may be incorrect on this one but I'm pretty confident that it is the case.

Last edited by clarkey1984; Apr 13th, 2015 at 18:30.
clarkey1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2015, 18:29   #24
ilikewatch
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXMachina View Post
I can confirm from my own experience as an Admiral customer that they DO NOT consider an aftermarket stereo to be an upgrade

therefore Admiral are in breach of contract

I recommend you sue them for breach and damages resulting
they will without doubt fold and settle out of court as their position in this is untenable
Really? according to their website they define a notifiable modification as:

"any change to the car away from the manufacturer's standard specification (including optional extra's), such as changes to the bodywork, such as spoilers or body kits, changes to suspension or brakes, cosmetic changes such as alloy wheels, changes affecting performance such as changes to the engine management system or exhaust system"

They go on to state:

"Please be aware that this is not a full list of all possible changes. All changes made from the manufacturer's standard specification must be disclosed"

If they even require factory fitted optional extras to be disclosed surely they'd want to know about a retro fitted stereo - for a start, on cars the age of ours a decent stereo could double the value of the car!
'18 (68) silver Volvo V40 T3 R Design

Last edited by ilikewatch; Apr 13th, 2015 at 18:32.
ilikewatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ilikewatch For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2015, 18:42   #25
Austin160
Master Member

Default Insurance - a heartfelt warning.

With regard to standard specifications ( standard per model variant, between say basic spec. and top of the range) what situation does the owner find themselves in for run out models where all sort of up spec. ing takes place to intice buyer to buy the new just-out-of-date mode? Invariably these are fitted with fancy alloy wheels at least. Would your car have been such a model?
Austin160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2015, 18:57   #26
Bosstang

Regarding standard specification and optional extras being classed as modifications, if I am reading it correctly, then fitting roof rails or an eggy grille could be classed as a mod and invalidate your insurance?
Surely if the ins company go to the manufacturers they would not have this specific info, or the parts may have been fitted by a previous owner.
Old Apr 13th, 2015, 20:05   #27
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosstang View Post
Regarding standard specification and optional extras being classed as modifications, if I am reading it correctly, then fitting roof rails or an eggy grille could be classed as a mod and invalidate your insurance?
Surely if the ins company go to the manufacturers they would not have this specific info, or the parts may have been fitted by a previous owner.
Very unlikely, as those items are just optional extras mentioned in the handbook in terms of max weight limits.

The grill is a non factor in most cases as it's cosmetic, but I would be careful about bumpers or anything that might injure a pedestrian, as that would be classed as safety related equipment.

Seat covers can also be dodgy if they are not SIPS approved AND it needs to be the correct EU approval (I have a real nice furry one for the driver of my Twingo, the Fleabay site says it's approved, BUT it's not as the approval is not the correct one). More of an issue if a passenger is injured, assuming you are the driver.

The golden rule is, if there is any doubt about a mod or extra fitting, declare it to the insurance folks AND make sure they list the exact item in their reply.

Trying to take legal action against an insurance company is near impossible and nearly as difficult as trying to prove an old engine failed because of a bad batch of engine oil. Their legal team will be real good and the only hope would be a class action claim if lots of owners are getting rejected claims.

Starting a web site like, www "IhateAdmiral" dot net is more likely to produce results, BUT don't do that if you are not prepared to face the legal consequences of an incorrect page or blog entry.

PS: Always read the fine print of an insurance policy, as it appears that any exhaust mods need to be declared.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Apr 13th, 2015 at 20:25.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2015, 20:09   #28
TimS

I would speak to a solicitor about this. Do you have any legal advice cover through e.g. a union, professional/trade organisation etc.? Failing that, I'd fork out for an initial consultation with a good solicitor (not a "no win, no fee" one). You may be out of luck, but I'd want independent, qualified advice if it were me.

Where does one draw the line? Is non-manufacturer's oil, bulbs, washer fluid, wiper blades etc. classed as "modification".

Tim.
TimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2015, 20:19   #29
DXMachina
I ate all your bees

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikewatch View Post
They go on to state:

"Please be aware that this is not a full list of all possible changes. All changes made from the manufacturer's standard specification must be disclosed"

If they even require factory fitted optional extras to be disclosed surely they'd want to know about a retro fitted stereo - for a start, on cars the age of ours a decent stereo could double the value of the car!
When I got this car I phoned them up and told them I was considering a stereo upgrade (it still had the HU605 in it then), and I asked would they consider that to be a 'modification' and would they require it to be notified to them?

Answer was immediate: No, and no.
Old Apr 13th, 2015, 20:23   #30
ilikewatch
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXMachina View Post
When I got this car I phoned them up and told them I was considering a stereo upgrade (it still had the HU605 in it then), and I asked would they consider that to be a 'modification' and would they require it to be notified to them?

Answer was immediate: No, and no.
Did you get that in writing? I wouldn't rely on what someone in a call centre told me when the website completely contradicts it. If your insurance paperwork notes that you have an aftermarket stereo then fair enough.
'18 (68) silver Volvo V40 T3 R Design

Last edited by ilikewatch; Apr 13th, 2015 at 20:26.
ilikewatch is offline   Reply With Quote