Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General > 140/164 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

For sale 1970 Volvo 145 DL manual with overdrive

Views : 5344

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 16th, 2022, 16:22   #1
145estate
145estate

Default For sale 1970 Volvo 145 DL manual with overdrive

For sale is my beautiful c1970 vintage Volvo 145 de luxe estate car fitted with a manual gearbox with factory overdrive.

The car comes with it’s original service book which has been stamped up to date. Also included is a folder of invoices totally thousands of pounds, old mots/ brochures/handbooks/lists of jobs done/handwritten lists etc documenting its life.

For most of its life it lived between just two owners in Norwich, they both cherished the car and maintained properly through their ownership as paperwork/history proves.

The next owner whom I bought the car from, owns a classic car business in London ( for many years he’s bought/sold/stored classic cars, Ferrari/Porsche/ Citroen /Bentley etc) he actually ran this car as his preferred daily commuting between London and Southend on a daily basis.

I bought the car off him approx 2 years ago to use as a runaround here in London as I’d always admire the model.

Under his ownership the car had a thorough body/engine going over to include engine rebuilt/unleaded head/electronic ignition/clutch and various other jobs to bring it up to modern standards etc.

My reason for selling is I’m moving out of London and it will be excess to requirements where I’m going ( please also note I have recently sold my 1976 porsche 911 and only yesterday my BMW Alpina B3… yes a very sad turn of events indeed, but I’ve been lucky enough to have owned some wonderful cars during my lifetime so I can’t complain.

On to the car, I will try and give an honest appraisal of how it looks and drives, please note this is only my opinion I am not a mechanic or expert, so I suggest you view and make your own judgement etc.

Bodily the car is very straight, there are no large dents or areas of filler etc, all the wheel arches are solid and rust/bubble free…the doors/tailgate are also solid so are the cills… the Binet is also corrosion free and the engine bay is immaculate with no corrosion to top mounts/scuttle etc… the paint is bright and generally blemish free but please bear in mind the car is over 50 years old… there is one area and the drivers rear just by the indicator lens which is a series of scratches ( caused by my neighbour closing his garage door onto it) apart from that area it’s very clean, the bright work/fittings are all genuine and present there are no pieces of trim missing or broken, all the lights etc work.

The interior is immaculate exclude the drivers seat which has a rip in it which will need recovering. The other seats particularly the rears look like that haven’t been sat on. The carpets are all excellent and original… the dashboard is excellent as are all the switches/knobs everything is present, all door/lock furniture again is present all windows open and close correctly all doors lock correctly… the interior windscreen plastic panel that sits on the dash needs securing properly but that’s about it… the clock works but looses time after a few days… all temp/fuel/speedometer work correctly so does the manual choke.

It comes with two sets of wheels, one original the others ( which they’re on and pictured) I believe to be from a Peugeot 405 ( I can ask previous owner to confirm) tyres are Avon.

Mechanically the car benefits from modern updates as stated earlier, it starts immediately on the choke. On the road the car feels stable and relaxed and easily keeps up with modern traffic… the brakes are excellent too and the heater/fan works as it should. Overdrive works correctly also… it’s very easy to drive although there’s no power steering so you do need some effort when parking.

Things to do : firstly the car is absolutely fine to use as is it starts and stops etc… going forward : sometimes it makes a crunching noise when selecting reverse ( seems to go in ok) and occasionally when it can be hard to select a gear ( it had a clutch fitted in 2020 as I said I’m not a mechanic but felt I should mention this (any Volvo guru’s out there?).
Secondly I’ve oticed recently some water ingress to the passenger glovebox/footwell not sure if door rubbers of windscreen tbh but agai thought I’d mention it, that’s about all I can remember for now please feel free to ask any questions.

In summary, this is a beautiful example of a very rare Swedish classic and certainly the nicest and most original example I’ve ever seen. Two years ago I paid a large amount of money for this car, I’ve spent money on it maintaining it service items etc ( bills from Brookhouse to prove) I would like to think I would get my money back, but who knows… I guess things are worth what people are willing to pay

I’ve had many cars over the years some very fast and exotic but this particular car has given me lots of pleasure and has always garnered a fun friendly reaction when people see it, it seems to evoke a certain time when people were growing up and going on family trips etc .. anyway I’m rambling on now.. don’t hesitate to ask questions etc… viewings available but I’m not in London very often but can meet if serious.
Thanks
145estate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 145estate For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2022, 16:47   #2
Steve 940
Premier Member

Hi Gary,

Just seen your post, and you kindly sent me some additional photos earlier via ebay, many thanks

Much thinking to do, if I do decide I want to view the car, I notice you mention not being in London much.

Is the vehicle is SE19, or elsewhere??

Cheers
Steve Mountain
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2022, 17:00   #3
145estate
145estate

Hi Steve, I think I’ve just sold it… chap in Scotland has offered full asking price subject to putting it through an mot, which it should pass easy enough etc…the only problem I have is time as we’re moving in less than a weeks time 😩… we’re in SE26 Sydenham Hill…
Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to 145estate For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2022, 17:31   #4
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 145estate View Post
Hi Steve, I think I’ve just sold it… chap in Scotland has offered full asking price subject to putting it through an mot, which it should pass easy enough etc…the only problem I have is time as we’re moving in less than a weeks time 😩… we’re in SE26 Sydenham Hill…
Thanks
Hi Gary,

Thanks for prompt reply, and that's good and bad news for me I suppose, it certainly looked a great car in the photos, and a good description always helps.

I am waiting planning permission to extend my home garage/workshop, so if I had got it, I would have had to store somewhere till garage done, hence this cropping up now the timing wasn't ideal, but I'm sure I could have worked something out.

Anyway, if the deal with the chap in Scotland fails to materialise, please don't hesitate to contact me. email is stevemountain@btinternet.com or you can PM me on here.

Best wishes to you with your house move.

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2022, 17:39   #5
145estate
145estate

Cheers Steve… I’m waiting to hear back from my MOT guy whether he can book it in over the next couple of days…. I’ll keep in touch as you never know what happens on eBay 😳… I’ve had quite a few “ how much cash John” type requests, but can’t believe there are now 200 watchers… crazy, shame about the timing for you, I’d generally say not to worry as it’s only a car … 😩… thanks for the kind words re house move.. completely stressed atm but in one weeks time I’m escaping London are nearly 60 years 🙏🏻
Regards Gary
Old Nov 16th, 2022, 22:27   #6
Dibble
VOC Member

Beautiful car. Hope the Scots guy does buy it and we get to see it up here in Scotland. I'm sure your Porsche and BMW were fine but they wouldn't have the character of your 145!
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dibble For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2022, 07:34   #7
145estate
145estate

Cheers buddy
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 18:44   #8
145estate
145estate

Well got the car mot’d today and it passed with flying colours… heard nothing back from the chap in Scotland ?… oh well that’s eBay for you… 6500 view and 475 people watching and 3 bids at the moment
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 18:54   #9
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 145estate View Post
Well got the car mot’d today and it passed with flying colours… heard nothing back from the chap in Scotland ?… oh well that’s eBay for you… 6500 view and 475 people watching and 3 bids at the moment
At least it’s sold.🧐
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 20:55   #10
145estate
145estate

It hasn’t sold yet ?😳