Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear break pads and dics quote from main dealer

Views : 1171

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 20th, 2023, 21:00   #11
volvosam

I would very highly doubt that the rear pads are down that low in 27k miles unless the calipers are sticking. If that were me I'd be into their workshop to have a look.
Discs as well at 27k?
Trouble is they have you by the short and curlies as the MOT has failed.
I just bought a set of genuine discs and pads for the rear of the v70 for £110 on ebay. Fitting takes max 2 hours on the ground on an older car, more like 1 hour in a warm workshop on a ramp.
£500 is a nice earner.
volvosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2023, 21:20   #12
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC40Matt View Post
My XC40 T3 auto has gone in for its first MOT and failed on rear breakpads which are below 1.5mm.

The main Volvo dealer where it's in for the MOT has recommended new discs along with the pads at a cost of £500. I realise I'm going to be spending more at a main dealer but is this price way to high or about right?

Car has done 27k miles on mostly town and dual carriageway driving
Its a complete rip off, but for a dealer, that sounds about right.

I doubt the discs are worn at that mileage. I would seriously question why the discs need to be replaced because there's no need, unless they're below minimum thickness or severely pitted (doubtful at 27k). Ask them how did they come to the conclusion that the discs are knackered?

You're in a tricky spot because they won't let a car leave the workshop that has failed on brakes and has no MOT. You're goosed really, but you could save some money on not replacing the discs.

See what they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Based on limited information I'd say he's having a giraffe....

Trade price of the genuine parts is £200

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195409653...IAAOSwj7FjRrsT

Should be < 1 hour to fit.

And I don't believe unless there's corrosion that it needs new discs at 27k. At 67k - maybe.

Unfortunately if your pads are <1.5mm that will be failed as a dangerous defect and you cannot legally drive the car, even to be repaired, even though the brake performance is satisfactory. Of course you could go an collect the car and the chances of you being stopped are negligible to zero...
Not a wise idea. There's ANPR cameras all over the place, plus you never know if there's a Police car hiding around the corner. I highly doubt they'll let the car out of the garage that failed on brakes. If they did and the driver was caught, someone would be asking the garage and the driver questions! Not that the Police would look directly at what the car failed on, but a failed MOT is a failed MOT in their eyes. It shouldn't be on the road until repaired.

Last edited by Kev0607; Nov 20th, 2023 at 21:24.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2023, 22:59   #13
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Not a wise idea. There's ANPR cameras all over the place, plus you never know if there's a Police car hiding around the corner. I highly doubt they'll let the car out of the garage that failed on brakes. If they did and the driver was caught, someone would be asking the garage and the driver questions! Not that the Police would look directly at what the car failed on, but a failed MOT is a failed MOT in their eyes. It shouldn't be on the road until repaired.
You won't get picked up on ANPR unless the previous MOT has already expired because it would still have a valid MOT. An MOT failure, no matter how badly, does not mean the previous MOT certificate is invalid.

The garage cannot withhold the car from the owner, it is not their property, there is no legal obligation for them to do that or legal process to enable that. The onus is on the driver (not even the owner).

I don't see why he shouldn't drive it personally (back home to another garage for repairs) - it was 100% legal perhaps the day before when it had 1.5mm of brake pad material remaining, now it might have 1.499mm it's not suddenly dangerous. It's the same with tyres - 1.6mm is perfectly legal. 1.599mm is "Dangerous". If the pads were so worn it was affecting the service brake performance - then yes. But I don't think that is the case.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Nov 20th, 2023 at 23:02.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2023, 08:01   #14
4x4
Premier Member

What's the chances of the brake pads being under the legal 1.5mm. Unless they've actually been taken out and measured accurately it's difficult to determine 1.5mm when looking through a wheel between the caliper. Even with a lot of hard braking it would be difficult to wear out a set of front pads in 27,000 miles let alone rear pads. I can easily get around 70,000 from pads and over 100,000 from discs.
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2023, 09:16   #15
ITSv40
VOC Member

All my recent cars have done at least 100,000 miles on the original rear discs. 'er indoors Mini Cooper is still on its original rear discs at 102,000miles and still plenty of meat on them. The C70 still has the original rear discs and there is only negligible wear - along with the fronts.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2023, 10:14   #16
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 View Post
What's the chances of the brake pads being under the legal 1.5mm. Unless they've actually been taken out and measured accurately it's difficult to determine 1.5mm when looking through a wheel between the caliper. Even with a lot of hard braking it would be difficult to wear out a set of front pads in 27,000 miles let alone rear pads. I can easily get around 70,000 from pads and over 100,000 from discs.
Yes that was my thoughts too.....
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2023, 15:51   #17
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
You won't get picked up on ANPR unless the previous MOT has already expired because it would still have a valid MOT. An MOT failure, no matter how badly, does not mean the previous MOT certificate is invalid.

The garage cannot withhold the car from the owner, it is not their property, there is no legal obligation for them to do that or legal process to enable that. The onus is on the driver (not even the owner).

I don't see why he shouldn't drive it personally (back home to another garage for repairs) - it was 100% legal perhaps the day before when it had 1.5mm of brake pad material remaining, now it might have 1.499mm it's not suddenly dangerous. It's the same with tyres - 1.6mm is perfectly legal. 1.599mm is "Dangerous". If the pads were so worn it was affecting the service brake performance - then yes. But I don't think that is the case.
That's what I mean. If the MOT has already expired (if), it can't be driven on the road because it failed its current and there's nothing left on the old one. I'm not sure if this is the case with the OP's vehicle**** The garage has a duty of care not to let an unsafe vehicle onto the public road, which is what a car with a failed MOT would be classed as with no time remaining the previous MOT. Not only the garage, but there's a responsibility from the driver involved too.

My Uncle brought his BMW into the dealership for an MOT, it failed on a rear tyre. The existing MOT had ran out and they wouldn't let him take the car from the dealership until he either got them to fit a tyre, or he got one himself and paid BMW to fit/balance it. They simply refused to let the car off site.

You drive down the road with no current MOT and nothing remaining on the previous, get pulled over by the Police or caught on ANPR... You won't have a leg to stand on and I suspect some questions to answer, or even a fine/points. I wouldn't take the risk, but do as you will.

Last edited by Kev0607; Nov 21st, 2023 at 15:59.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2023, 16:12   #18
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 View Post
Volvo technicians are supplied with a special measuring tool for pad wear checking.

There is a large rear brake bias on the cars with electric handbrakes the rear pads do a lot of work on low speed braking. usual life for pads is about 33000 miles , some last longer some not quite as long if in cities a lot.
Old Nov 21st, 2023, 18:39   #19
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
That's what I mean. If the MOT has already expired (if), it can't be driven on the road because it failed its current and there's nothing left on the old one. I'm not sure if this is the case with the OP's vehicle**** The garage has a duty of care not to let an unsafe vehicle onto the public road, which is what a car with a failed MOT would be classed as with no time remaining the previous MOT. Not only the garage, but there's a responsibility from the driver involved too.

My Uncle brought his BMW into the dealership for an MOT, it failed on a rear tyre. The existing MOT had ran out and they wouldn't let him take the car from the dealership until he either got them to fit a tyre, or he got one himself and paid BMW to fit/balance it. They simply refused to let the car off site.

You drive down the road with no current MOT and nothing remaining on the previous, get pulled over by the Police or caught on ANPR... You won't have a leg to stand on and I suspect some questions to answer, or even a fine/points. I wouldn't take the risk, but do as you will.
thats fine and all good, but
Quote:
yes a right "ding dong " of words would follow but they can not withhold the car OR demand X/y/Z are done By them. as long as the test fee for the mot pass/fail has been paid, they have no legal claim or lien on the car or legal right to withhold it.

Demanding it is done there and they get payment - vosa report , TS report and Plod , if needed
and never return to that establishment as,, they aint following the law.
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2023, 23:33   #20
volvosam

[QUOTE=Clan;2923935]Volvo technicians are supplied with a special measuring tool for pad wear checking.

If that's the same special tool that other manufacturers use it seems to auto convert pad thickness from cm to mm.
volvosam is offline   Reply With Quote