Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T4 engine diagnosis

Views : 8250

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 10th, 2012, 17:10   #31
Sorry4myEglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
You cannot have the slightest exhaust leak in the exhaust system along the length of the car.

For finding air inlet leaks the easiest way is to just gently squirt some WD40 or Carb cleaner around each nylon or rubber vacuum hose or joint when idling....when you have a leak the revs of the engine will rise.....also bend gently the 90 degree rubber bends to see if they have perished or not.

One of the main places for leaks or splits is on the EVAP canister the hoses on the top tend to split if old.
Also check the nylon vacuum hose under the fuel rail for the FPR make sure it is clear of obstruction by blowing through it when disconnected.
Thanks for the tips. ill try to check those in a couple of days. Ill inform here later.
Sorry4myEglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 14:47   #32
Sorry4myEglish

I checked the evap canister and vacuum lines close to the fpr. Also sprayed some start pilot but there were no signs of leaks.

Also checked fuel trims. On idle the short was between 0 and 6% and long was 3,1%. Seems pretty normal to me.

Then i started to think what if the catalysator is a bit clogged?
Ive noticed that sometimes when i get off from motorway the car feels perky for a little while and then goes back to the lazy old skank what she usually is.
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 14:59   #33
960kg
Premier Member

Did you change both O2 sensors for VOLVO ones?
Also are your spark plugs VOLVO ones?

Although these things sound maybe rediculous to you after owning my own
`98 V40 T4 they must have everything VOLVO to perform without a hitch, they are very fussy engines.

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 16:02   #34
Sorry4myEglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
Did you change both O2 sensors for VOLVO ones?
Also are your spark plugs VOLVO ones?

Although these things sound maybe rediculous to you after owning my own
`98 V40 T4 they must have everything VOLVO to perform without a hitch, they are very fussy engines.
Front O2 sensor is original volvo part as well as the plugs. If i remember correctly the rear O2 sensor only checks that he catalysator is working properly.

Ive heard the same, original parts funk the best.
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 16:12   #35
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorry4myEglish View Post
Front O2 sensor is original volvo part as well as the plugs. If i remember correctly the rear O2 sensor only checks that he catalysator is working properly.

Ive heard the same, original parts funk the best.
You are correct about the second O2 sensor BUT it doesn`t ONLY work on it`s own to check the cat., people tend to forget that this sensor also sends messages and sort of reports back to the first sensor all signals it picks up, it works not just on it`s own but in conjunction with one another to get the best air/fuel mix correct etc.

I know we are picking at minor things but who would think only a Volvo plug would not give problems?

If you have to get to the cause of the problem, one has to cover all eventualities.

I had one problem with my `98 T4 .....it would not idle smoothly, but when i turned on the AC it was fine.....whether it was the size of the standard injectors who know`s (they are meant to be too small for the power it gives so work on a higher working percentage rate).....but of course turning on the AC gave the engine a richer mixture to keep the idle revs at 750 and idles really well until it was turned off........i never found out the reason.

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

Last edited by 960kg; Jul 11th, 2012 at 16:19.
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 15:12   #36
Sorry4myEglish

Ive also tried bosch super+ something plugs. They worked as well as the volvo ones but after a while they looked like the same as in this links first post.
http://www.x40fin.com/index.php?topic=7607.0

I dont think that the rear O2 sensor is behind the problem. After all the sensors dont make adjustments in open loop.
Old May 3rd, 2021, 18:39   #37
tdtavares

Default Same problem here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtravers View Post
Excuse the vague title but this post covers quite a bit....[/LIST]
Hello,

Can you please tell me if, and how you sorted that problem?

Thanks
tdtavares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2021, 20:24   #38
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdtavares View Post
Hello,

Can you please tell me if, and how you sorted that problem?

Thanks
I doubt you will get a response, he hasn't been on the forum for over 10 years.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote