Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What "mods" do you declare to your insurers?

Views : 1877

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 28th, 2020, 18:32   #11
green van man
Premier Member

Short answer is everything that is not absolutely standard.

Volvo that's polestar, 10% loading

LandRover,
Bigger tyres but an alternate landrover size, no loading.
Heavy duty springs with gave a 20 mm lift, no loading as the lift was incidental, lifted springs and no insurance.
Spotlights, no loading.
Use off road, no loading with NFU, some quotes from other companies loaded or will not insure.

Both cars have manufacturers towbar and it was noted on both policies that I tow with the vehicles. This has bearing as a caravan while attached to the car is part of the vehicle. Both caravans are insured in their own right but as far as the car insurers are concerned they may be liable for damage to or caused by the caravan while being towed as it is part of the vehicle. Costs reflect that, as does the LandRovers 7 seats, more people to claim so higher cost.

Every dealing with insurance company's I have ever had indicate they will only pay the minimum thay have to and will always try to avoid payment, even if the accident is not your fault, I do not give them the excuse to void my insurance.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2020, 19:40   #12
reggit
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Short answer is everything that is not absolutely standard.

Volvo that's polestar, 10%
This is a question that I’ve been wondering...

if I bought a 2nd hand car how would I know if it had a polestar or other aftermarket engine map on it? I could be driving a car that’s modified without declaring simple because I didn’t know.
Old Jul 28th, 2020, 20:38   #13
minibull
VOC Member

Insurance companies can get the full build spec from HPI, but that is for how it left the factory. Accessories are probably fitted at the supplying dealership, they were at a LR dealers I worked at. Not declaring accessories means your insurance company is not obliged to replace them if you have to make a claim.
Old Jul 28th, 2020, 20:53   #14
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibull View Post
Insurance companies can get the full build spec from HPI, but that is for how it left the factory. Accessories are probably fitted at the supplying dealership, they were at a LR dealers I worked at. Not declaring accessories means your insurance company is not obliged to replace them if you have to make a claim.
Accessories, now thats a good point, dealer accessories, not mods, like having a cupholder or phone at side of stereo, etc...
But yeah most options are fitted at dealer.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2020, 21:12   #15
minibull
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
Accessories, now thats a good point, dealer accessories, not mods, like having a cupholder or phone at side of stereo, etc...
But yeah most options are fitted at dealer.
I was thinking more like tow bars, ie expensive things an insurance company will try and get out of paying for.
Old Jul 28th, 2020, 21:24   #16
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Declare everything then it doesn't give them a loophole to void your cover in the event of a claim.

Can't be too careful nowdays.

I've only had polestar optimisation added to mine aside from what it was delivered with.

When shopping around at renewal the number of Insurers that ran to the hills when I asked for Business Use & Polestar was shocking.

Yes I was stung by having the polestar optimisation but I love it.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyJudge For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2020, 22:00   #17
psl
Master Member

An after mkt roof rack fitted by said reputable supplying dealer cost me an extra £25, carrying a set of ladders an extra £10. Removing a set of after mkt alloys and replacing them with a set of standard wheels, no charge. Fitting a towbar, no charge.
Fitting a silly 2 cm high boot lip spoiler on a 320 BMW, many moons ago cost an extra £40, as it was an m series one lol
It is the owners responsibility to declare anything other then standard. Should you not declare any mods and your car ends up in a fatal RTA the implications are not worth thinking about.
We all try and push the boundaries but the law of sod can strike at any time, so always best to pick up the phone and ask your individual company.
psl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psl For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2020, 23:16   #18
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggit View Post
This is a question that I’ve been wondering...

if I bought a 2nd hand car how would I know if it had a polestar or other aftermarket engine map on it? I could be driving a car that’s modified without declaring simple because I didn’t know.
Well polestar has a badge that fits to the back of the car. I confess I have not fitted mine but it is in the box incase the next owner wants to.
Polestar is a volvo dealer item and it will be on volvo system, any dealer I take myour car to can see it has been fitted by entering the reg number into volvos system.
If you want to find out go to your dealer and ask.

After market unless it has stickers you may not but an aftermarket upgrade runs the risk of being over written by a volvo service, which will revert the car to standard is my understanding. Stand to be corrected on that.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2020, 23:25   #19
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekilt View Post
Reading through a few threads got me thinking what most people do and dont tell their insurers about modifications and what the insurance companies know the specification of your car from when you bought it.

So to firstly "set the scene" how do insurance companies know what specification your car is? they know from the number plate what model and range it is (for example V50 SE) however do they know what extras the car was ordered with? MtillingVolvo gives a specification check of your Volvo via the number plate, but do the insurance companies know this as well? do they know you took the "Sport trim" extra, change of wheels, entertainment package, winter package etc?
Assume they have the Same info as a main dealer and can tell What the car left the factory with and you wont go far wrong imho

Quote:
Now for a second scenario, you buy the car second hand, you dont know what modification may have been done to the car since it was first purchased. someone may have retrofitted additional things to the car, etc.
if you dont know, you dont know, nothing the scumbags can do about that to prove you know/didnt,,
they WILL bend you over when you have to make a claim either way

Quote:
Then we get onto a repairing stuff on the car, such as coils, shocks, tyres, or any other part. If its different that OEM surely this is a "Mod"? at what point does it become classed as a performance mod and how far do you go until you should tell the insurance company?
"replacment parts" are just that , if you Really want to p** them off i can recommend phoning them "replaced X with gen volvo part X" every time :P

ok adding Considerable BHP would be a "yeah tell them" but changing brake pads from "that brand" to "this brand,, and ditto any other part,, they really dont need to know

Quote:
I am currently refurbing some volvo wheels which look better than the ones I currently have, but they came as standard on other ranges of the V50, so should this be declared?
Also winter wheels/tyre combos, if these are different sizes (which they normally are) should you not inform your insurance company of this?
as long as the tyres are "road legal" in tread depth/condition/speed/load rating for the car,, And within the recommended size options for the car ,, they imho dont need to know

Quote:
Looking through some threads i think some people take it too far, and maybe unjust their insurance premiums unnecessarily.

Please share your thoughts...
two schools of thought
"tell them EVERY little thing then they have no excuse to not pay up" ,, they will find SOME bs reason to not pay up/ontime/true value of the car
"the car is legal and meets all its spex they dont need to know" ,, they will still find bs to not pay/pay late/not pay the correct value,,

you May gather that my view on In-sewer-rats is one that treats them with the utter contempt they have earnt. at least Dick turpin had the decency to wear a mask when performing highway (and legalised) robbery,, the shysters Dont,,
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2020, 00:17   #20
Rustyfrog
Grumpy Pond Dweller

andy_d .....

I may be wrong, but I get the feeling that you dont have a very good opinion as to the integrity of insurance companies.

.................................................. ..
I thought that growing old would take a little longer
Rustyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rustyfrog For This Useful Post: