Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Which tyres

Views : 1528

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 4th, 2020, 15:50   #1
forbsie09

Default Which tyres

I am changing the wheels on my V70 2.4, I've got myself a set of 16" Columba's, they'll need a refurb, but whats the advice on tyres for V70's - its not performance tyres I'm looking for, as this is my daily driver, so a good all rounder / all season tyre, dont want Ling Lang / Ying Yong or any other unknown Chinese stuff
So, what does Volvo's prefer ?
forbsie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 16:24   #2
Lee2246

I've got Goodyear Eagle F1's on mine. Good all round tyre and well prices in my opinion.

I got them from www.asdatyres.co.uk cheapest place i could find. Price includes fitting, you just choose the fitting station you want to go too and then turn up or choose a mobile one
Lee2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lee2246 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 17:35   #3
forbsie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee2246 View Post
I've got Goodyear Eagle F1's on mine. Good all round tyre and well prices in my opinion.

I got them from www.asdatyres.co.uk cheapest place i could find. Price includes fitting, you just choose the fitting station you want to go too and then turn up or choose a mobile one
More of a performance tyre that though isnt it ?
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 17:42   #4
Whippy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbsie09 View Post
More of a performance tyre that though isnt it ?
Nope, not at all, good all round performance, quiet, reasonable wear, grippy, predictable not too expensive.
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 18:09   #5
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

There's quite a few threads on here about tyres (use the forum search tab and you'll find them) but overall I think that for your use avoiding the Chinese ditchfinders and going for a modest known brand is about right, those with a V70R who like 'spirited' driving may want/need high performance, some like a set of summers and a set of winters which seems more important the further north and further into the countryside you live. I do back and forth to work and the shops with occasional longer trips and find Avon ZV7's work fine for me (I like the lip on the side wall which gives some protection to the edge of the alloy), others have different preferences. If you search online for Tyre Tests (not reviews) for the size you want there's quite a few comprehensive tests where you get objective ratings for grip, wet grip, noise, wear, etc and you can make your choice depending on what is important to you and your budget.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 19:18   #6
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Tried a few now and very impressed with the Cross Climates so will be using them from now on. Not cheap, but as they say.........

Maybe the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dash300 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 22:02   #7
Zebster
Upstanding Member

I've recently fitted cheap Riken tyres to mine (parent company is Michelin and they're made in Europe). I honestly can't tell much difference to the previous Continentals, definitely a lot quieter but maybe that's just because of the greater tread depth.
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 16:23   #8
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

I usually fit UniRoyal RainSports to my cars. I've found them to be a good mid-priced option.

One caveat is that the later versions of RainSports seem to wear quicker than RS2s and RS1s. They are very grippy though, and exceptional in the rain - I've never aquaplaned with RS tyres fitted, even in quite atrocious weather.

Of course tyres are very subjective, and you won't find a general consensus Indeed there was a quite heated 'discussion' on FB recently which I ducked out of in the end, it got quite nasty lol - and it was just someone asking for people's views on tyres!

Some people just want the cheapest they can find, some want the very best (Continentals?) and others will favour other brands. All you can do is read as many reviews as possible and make your own mind up
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 19:44   #9
forbsie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
I usually fit UniRoyal RainSports to my cars. I've found them to be a good mid-priced option.

One caveat is that the later versions of RainSports seem to wear quicker than RS2s and RS1s. They are very grippy though, and exceptional in the rain - I've never aquaplaned with RS tyres fitted, even in quite atrocious weather.

Of course tyres are very subjective, and you won't find a general consensus Indeed there was a quite heated 'discussion' on FB recently which I ducked out of in the end, it got quite nasty lol - and it was just someone asking for people's views on tyres!

Some people just want the cheapest they can find, some want the very best (Continentals?) and others will favour other brands. All you can do is read as many reviews as possible and make your own mind up
I know that asking a question on a forum can cause heated debates, and the discussion digresses into something "off topic" I even had a post deleted by admins on a BMW forum as it was going to be "pistols at dawn" with 2 particular peeps (not me - btw)
I had cheap as chips virtually unknowns on my E30 when I bought it, they were new, but absolutely hopeless, especially on roundabouts ! I had wheels refurbed anyway, but put Conti's on, I'm not into the virtually unheard off cheap budgets jobs - at about 30 quid fitted I know that some makes and models can go better on some makes of tyre, but others not so, eg, Conti's, Toyo's, are good on BMW E30's and Falken & Avons on 5 series, and so 0n, so reason I ask, is that perhaps some brands are better on a V70 than others ?
The Following User Says Thank You to forbsie09 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 21:57   #10
Harvey1512
Premier Member

I've got Kumho standard tyres and Barum winter tyres right now. There are loads of mid range tyres out there from solid manufacturers. Pick from Japanese, S.Korean, European brands. Check out the top names and look at the manufacturers they also own. There is a pyramid, take advantage of it. Barum for example is a solid Czech brand owned by Continental.

If you are going to drive your car hard then stick to the very elite. If you drive normally then mid table is fine.