Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Parts recommendations

Views : 697

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 6th, 2020, 12:46   #1
Timmilne

Default Parts recommendations

I've recently bought a Gul 855 T-5R and there's an ever growing list of bits I think it's going to need. Where do you all recommend getting both standard (OEM or OEM equivalent) and performance upgrade parts from?

For instance, I'm planning on the 302mm brake upgrade. Which discs would you recommend (aftermarket drilled / grooved or standard) and which pads to give a bit more stopping power?

And, which spark plugs work best for these cars?

All and any recommendations gratefully received
Timmilne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2020, 13:13   #2
rangerovering

Personally I like Autodoc, there are drawbacks (mainly shipping time) but the prices are good and the choice of brands very comprehensive.

If you use the app you get better discount, Mondays are normally the best. Delivery usually take around 7 days to the UK, so as long as you plan ahead its pretty good.
rangerovering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2020, 13:30   #3
rudi dudi
DPF free.FCUK Greta he he

Autodoc are cheap but they can be a nightmare with lead times, sending substitutions(You order Ina they send Moog etc) ...They hold little if any actual stock and get hold of what you've ordered after taking your money.Not unusual to wait 3/4 weeks for thing to turn up.
Nightmare to return things by all accounts although have no experience of this.
When all goes as planned they are good but slow.
rudi dudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2020, 13:42   #4
Gonzobard

I have used Skandix for various items. Their catalogue is good and clear and the parts list available is comprehensive. Postage to U.K. is not cheap, so I have used them for hard - to - find items. I previously bought headlight wiper blades from a Volvo supplier on e-bay - after 6 months they were rustier than the ones they replaced! Subsequently bought Volvo blades, no such problem with those, as you might expect. I have also used PFV, they were good.
Gonzobard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2020, 13:43   #5
Luxobarge
Premier Member

^^^WHS^^^

I would never use Autodoc.

I get most routine parts from PFV online, never had a problem. Failing that, I've used FRF Volvo in Swansea, original parts at a decent discount and VERY good service.
Old Aug 6th, 2020, 13:49   #6
rudi dudi
DPF free.FCUK Greta he he

Had good results of late with a company based in Exeter called Parts in Motion.
Keen prices, hold stock and fast delivery.
They advertise on Ebay and often take part in the 15% off promo from selected retailers that comes around every so often .
Im impressed with them.
rudi dudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2020, 13:57   #7
rangerovering

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudi dudi View Post
Autodoc are cheap but they can be a nightmare with lead times, sending substitutions(You order Ina they send Moog etc) ...They hold little if any actual stock and get hold of what you've ordered after taking your money.Not unusual to wait 3/4 weeks for thing to turn up.
Nightmare to return things by all accounts although have no experience of this.
When all goes as planned they are good but slow.
The delivery times during covid have been a pain, they also don't tell you if the part you ordered isn't in stock and arrange an alternative you have to do the chasing yourself.

I have returned parts and exchange units with no issues at all, in fact the only problem has ever been as above with stuff being out of stock. The online chat thing is handy too I find if you need stuff sorted. They have never got an order wrong for me either to be fair.

Placed an order on Monday there, will see when it turns up....
rangerovering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2020, 15:18   #8
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

I'm in the middle of re-commissioning my S70 T5, and have used the following over the last 2-3 weeks -

Skandix
Parts For Volvo
Autodoc
Caffyns Volvo
FRF Volvo
Amazon
Car Parts In Motion

I've found that you need to shop around to get the best price, balancing that with any additional postage charges due to buying from multiple suppliers. I'm a spreadsheet King

I haven't had any issues with any of the above, barring slow deliveries every now and then.

Re brake discs, I always fit a 302 conversion to my P80s if they still have 280 discs. I've tried various brands but now stick with Mintex or Volvo discs, and genuine Volvo Police spec pads (part number 30645240 without wear sensors, 30645450 with wear sensors, according to my notes). This combo is the best £/performance compromise IMHO, especially for normal street driving.

Obviously for track use you should be looking at something more extreme (and very expensive lol). I've found EBC Green pads to be good too, but not a big enough difference to justify the extra cost over Police spec pads. I've fitted Ferodo DS2500s too which were a good pad, but very dusty and also quite expensive.

Spark plugs - the general consensus is to use genuine Volvo plugs, particularly on T5s.

HTH
The Following User Says Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2020, 22:40   #9
Timmilne

Thanks for all the recommendations and info — very kind and very helpful
Timmilne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Timmilne For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 15:04   #10
Cookeh
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
Spark plugs - the general consensus is to use genuine Volvo plugs, particularly on T5s.

HTH
I'm beyond sick of this silly myth. It's only general consensus amongst deluded bearded folk. Why do people think that because it comes in a little bag with blue writing that its superior (and worth five times as much) to the exact same plug that rolled off the exact same production line built to the exact same standard?

If you need some plugs grab some Bosch FR7DPP plugs for £2.50 each. These are the exact same plugs that come in a pretty bag at over £10 each from Volvo. You can also run NGK PFR6Bs for just over £2 each, or Denso IK20TTs for £6 each.

Here is a complete list of branded plugs which are compatible with this series of engine. Buy whichever is cheapest from a brand you trust. Bosch, NGK, Champion or Denso would be my go-tos.

If you have any concerns about this, my particular car has run plugs from all four manufacturers mentioned above in addition to the Volvo branded plugs. There was absolutely no difference in running or performance between them, and the only thing I've ever had an issue with is two broken plugs in two different packs...from Volvo. Due to said breakages, I've even had to run several hundred miles on a mix of plugs from different manufacturers. Did it make a difference? Of course not!

Sorry for the rant, sincerely (and for it appearing to be directed at you, RollingThunder!), it just grinds my gears to see people being guided into spending an extortionate of money on an identical product.