Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 suitable for a family of four?

Views : 3720

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 15th, 2017, 23:30   #11
7050man
Master Member

No, too small in back and boot far too small with spare wheel. Not much better without. I had a V50 that was much more practical, so go for V60 or even a 70.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2017, 11:46   #12
Exponent

Firstly - it would appropriate to say I feel privileged and very fortunate to own 2 Volvo's for our family. I am acutely aware, in my neck of the woods, that this is certainly not the norm nor is is it something that I take for granted.

The kids are early teens and around town they have no preference for the V40 or the XC60.

For longer trips, the older teen prefers the XC60 with the greater leg room. Longer trips are things like up to 10hrs stopping for a toilet break or 2 only (yes the XC60 does over 1000km with fuel to spare). One of our first trips for the XC60 was over 2000km in 3 days, attending a wedding on day 2.

Wife likes the zippiness of the V40 but also likes the high driving position and solid feeling of the XC60. Personally - I love both. Both safe and solid vehicles.

The V40 D4 is absolutely effortless around town with the extra power and torque. Small enough for almost all parking spots, big enough to drive like a proper car, and a rocket. Longer trips with lots of bags for extended stay might be a squeeze in the boot. Depends how much you pack. Took me a while to find the position for my back in the seat - initially it was lower back torture - but ended up sitting low and forward.......and it is soooooo good.

XC60 D4 - the "soccer mum" beast.....which is usually me. Great driving car and does it all. Higher driving position and the front seats are different to the V40. Obviously seriously comfortable as proven by the long trips and very easy to find that sweet spot. Big boot.....and has no lip on the boot. The V40 does.

So far - very happy with both - both are winners.
Exponent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 10:47   #13
Acer
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7050man View Post
No, too small in back and boot far too small with spare wheel. Not much better without. I had a V50 that was much more practical, so go for V60 or even a 70.
It does seem a rather odd decision to release a vehicle that lacks typical Volvo practicality, but it is not the first time (C series anyone). To look at the car from the outside it doesn't look small. In fact the space doesn't look terrible when you peer inside. Compared to other vehicles in its class, however, it is way down the bottom of the pile. Someone made the comment re cars getting bigger inside and smaller outside. The V40 does seem a good example of that. I also cannot fathom why they choose such dark interiors for most of the trims. Clearly a smaller car, with a low roof line, will always feel smaller when the colours are dark. I imagine a V40 with beige interior and panoramic roof is a very different place to sit.
Acer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 12:37   #14
H20 VOLVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acer View Post
It does seem a rather odd decision to release a vehicle that lacks typical Volvo practicality, but it is not the first time (C series anyone). To look at the car from the outside it doesn't look small. In fact the space doesn't look terrible when you peer inside. Compared to other vehicles in its class, however, it is way down the bottom of the pile. Someone made the comment re cars getting bigger inside and smaller outside. The V40 does seem a good example of that. I also cannot fathom why they choose such dark interiors for most of the trims. Clearly a smaller car, with a low roof line, will always feel smaller when the colours are dark. I imagine a V40 with beige interior and panoramic roof is a very different place to sit.
Maybe - but the panoramic roof does rob a little of headroom.

The V70 will always be the best option, but it is a completely different car to the V40 - hence why I said the V60, which is similar proportions. As others have pointed out though, the V60 isn't exactly spacious though, but does offer improvement over the V40.

A compromise would be a XC60 - which is fairly bigger inside, and offers a really good boot space too. You can pick these up in FWD only versions too, so they are not as thirsty to own if that was an issue. It will also give a better view of the road due to higher driving position.

Have a pop to a local dealer - I do think the XC60 would be an ideal choice, and holds it value well, but you can compare directly on the forecourt the size difference.

I comment on this, as I've had a V70, currently own a V40, Father-In-Law is on his 2nd V60 and my neighbour has a XC60.
H20 VOLVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 15:54   #15
Acer
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20 VOLVO View Post
Maybe - but the panoramic roof does rob a little of headroom.

The V70 will always be the best option, but it is a completely different car to the V40 - hence why I said the V60, which is similar proportions. As others have pointed out though, the V60 isn't exactly spacious though, but does offer improvement over the V40.

A compromise would be a XC60 - which is fairly bigger inside, and offers a really good boot space too. You can pick these up in FWD only versions too, so they are not as thirsty to own if that was an issue. It will also give a better view of the road due to higher driving position.

Have a pop to a local dealer - I do think the XC60 would be an ideal choice, and holds it value well, but you can compare directly on the forecourt the size difference.

I comment on this, as I've had a V70, currently own a V40, Father-In-Law is on his 2nd V60 and my neighbour has a XC60.
They will all feel small to me. I am used to driving an XC90 .
Acer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 16:12   #16
H20 VOLVO

Smile

Quote:
They will all feel small to me. I am used to driving an XC90 .
Jesus, they will indeed pal!

XC60 then all the way - best of both worlds.
H20 VOLVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 19:02   #17
kishor

Default V40

Quote:
Is there anybody on this forum with the typical 2.4 children? I am not talking really little kids that need booster seats. I am wondering how suitable the V40 is for typical family life.
Hi

I would say, V40. I you want to check out any, test them, I have 2 and one will be for sale at a reasonable price. V40s are well balanced and cheaper than a V50 with the useless Ford motors. I am only in Bexley

Ta
Kassie o7828879494
kishor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 22:03   #18
dshbc

Default V40

I have had a V50 (1.6 DrivE). V70 (2.0D)and now in a V40 D3, despite usually driving on my own, my passengers think V70 was the best.

I have also test driven the V60 and S60. but due to some unfortunate mishap I missed the chance to have a V60, hence I have a V40 now.

V50/V60:
Size is just right, for 4 people on a road trip - drove up from London with lots of stuff for a Scotland round trip with 4 adults loaded in a V50, coped with ease, they are both nimble enough to take on narrow country lanes and some horrible car parks.

V50 is cramped for legroom, but I think V60 strikes a good balance between legroom and luggage space.

V70:
Great car, immensely comfortable, but a lot more body roll than the V50 and V40, even in R design, however the suspensions are much softer and you will be cruising on your sofa at home on motorways.

Space is never a problem ,but the turning circle is very poor and the steering is heavier, so if you drive in town quite a lot then forget it.

With the V70 I found myself having to do 3 point turns much more than if I had a V50 or V40, and it makes parking and going round multistorey car parks rather difficult, but I find it easiest to park because it's square and boxy, plus the fact that you feel higher up in the V70 too.

V40:
Another nice one, feels similar to drive as the V50, very quick and nimble, luggage space is poor, but I rarely have 5 adults on board, and when I have to, it will take the backpacks but not the suitcases.

If there are passengers taller than 170cm for the back seats, then they won't appreciate the V40 much, especially if you have 3 at the back, and they probably will complain about the leg room unless the driver and passenger have short legs.

My V40 has the pano roof so it's wonderful to watch starlight sometimes and it is a nippy and cosy car for two with the ambient lighting.

That said, I find it most fun to drive, hence it changed my driving style to a more aggressive one, but due to the low curved bonnet design, I find it hardest to park. It's harder to judge the front and back and it's just not very Volvo like in a way.

In summary:
Space:
V70>V60>V40

Comfort :
V70>V60>V40

Maneuverability:
V40>V60>V70

Cost to run:
V40>V60>V70
V40 D3 SE Lux 2013
S60 D3 R Design Nav 2012
dshbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2017, 22:34   #19
anotherv60
Master Member

V60 works fine for our family of 4. There is enough room in the back for 3 child seats if required and the Maxicosi Isofix child seats fit in the back behind me with leg room for the chidlers (I'm 6ft 3). Boot space is officially small for the class but Volvo reports actual usable boot space - unlike some other rivals. You can get a double buggy plus all the stuff for a family holiday in the back. I bought the metal dog guard so you can pack it up to the roof line if required without worrying about it ending up on the little one's heads. The V60 central storage if opened 180 degrees also acts as a iPad shelf if going on longer journeys....
anotherv60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2017, 17:57   #20
anton differing

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20 VOLVO View Post
Depends on how often you carry them and how much stuff you take.

A V60 might be better suited for a family of 4.

It's your average sized family hatch - never going to be mega comfy with 4 in it, but sound for short journeys or occasional longer stuff. If you went away on holiday in it, you'd need a trailer or roof box though.
For me, this describes it exactly. We are fine with a V40, because our daughters have long flown and we can fold down the rear seats for extra carrying space. We bought the V40 because we no longer needed to take 4 people + camping gear around Europe. It was a deliberate downsizing exercise - well sort of, because the old Astra caravan (4288mm long) could swallow an astounding amount of stuff, much more than the substantially longer V40. But any hatchback (and we tried all the usual suspects - Merc A-Class, Golf), if bigger, is not THAT much bigger.
anton differing is offline   Reply With Quote