Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Another retro fit stereo question...pics

Views : 571

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 7th, 2017, 20:14   #1
Shaggy33

Default Another retro fit stereo question...pics

Finally getting round to sorting the defunct stock radio in my 89 240. Managed to get stereo out of the fascia without damaging it so the plan is to cut the aperture to accept a modern cage style single din unit.
I'm a little confused with the wiring (doesn't take much!) I was expecting to easily identify switched live, permanent live, lights, earth and of course speakers. I looked up some 240 stereo wiring diagrams on line but the wire colours don't match what I have. I've taken picture of multi plug pulled from back of stock stereo and see that 3 wires have fuses, rest don't. I have a twin earth wire which was simply bolted to back of old stereo and also a single black wire was was connected via Lucas style connector.
Interestingly the orange wire and one of the black earth wires go to a double point connector which isn't connected to anything!!
As I say a little confused so any help appreciated.

Shaggy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 21:16   #2
Shaggy33

This picture I found matches my harness
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 23:16   #3
rustytoba
Master Member

Firstly its should be easy to remove the facia from the radio normally two screws either side, as this allowed Volvo to fit the same radio to a number of models (200/700/900), once the radio is removed from the facia a single din radio should fit in no problem.

If your wiring loom has the white 9 pin plug you can get a standard ISO adapter from ebay for a few quid that converts the 9 pins to the two ISO plugs more modern radios use.

However I seem to remember that the white blue and blue white are left and right speaker positive, Yellow is ignition positive, green is positive for the memory (live even with ignition off), red is power antenna not sure of the others but just a case of elimination!

As for the plug with the black and orange wire this could be for the separate amplifier that a lot of Volvos came with as an option.

Hope this may be of use.

Scott
rustytoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 10:13   #4
Shaggy33

That is very helpful thank you. My stereo was part of the moulding in the fascia plate, no screws so I've had to literally cut it out of the panel and re-size aperture for the cage of new din.
I've checked and yes I have a 9 pin connector so I"ll buy an adapter harness and go from there. I can confirm yellow is switched live as you say as I've just traced wire back to live side of fuse which feeds rear lights!
I read an interesting fact on another forum last night and that is that someone seemed to think the 2 pin connector you say is possible for the amp which some cars have was in fact a seek control for radio stations...!
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 10:48   #5
Shaggy33

Whilst I'm at it I may well fit rear door speakers and an 4 way amp given that I'm fitting a nice modern stereo.
I know the subject has been done to death on here but anyone have experience as to what speakers fit in rear doors?
Old Aug 9th, 2017, 16:54   #6
hennabm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy33 View Post
Whilst I'm at it I may well fit rear door speakers and an 4 way amp given that I'm fitting a nice modern stereo.
I know the subject has been done to death on here but anyone have experience as to what speakers fit in rear doors?
I retro fitted standard Volvo ones as the door cards are semi cut for them already.
When you take off the door cards you can see the half cut holes for the speakers. Well, you could in my 89 240 est.
2010 116d
2011 X3 3.0d
hennabm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2017, 19:25   #7
Shaggy33

Yes I fancy keeping it standard looking and fiting Oem volvo ones but can't seem to find any...
Old Aug 12th, 2017, 22:14   #8
hennabm

I put a wanted advert on here and the FB site and it turned up the goods.
2010 116d
2011 X3 3.0d
hennabm is offline   Reply With Quote