Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Quite amazed with XC60 18" Wheel Tyre wear

Views : 1389

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 14th, 2017, 18:31   #11
whitbyfuji

Quite amazed by the wear on my 18" XC 60 tyres also.
2014 SE LUX NAV AUTO, and I really do drive like Miss Daisy, front Pirelli Zero Rosso lasted just under 10,000 miles, new set of Goodyear Wrangler all season tyres now done over 20,000 and just getting ready for replacement, rear Pirellis would still be good with plenty of tread but inside 2 inches of both tyres down to nothing. Not overly impressed!
I would appear to have a rear tracking/ camber problem but the Pirellis must have been made of liquorice.
whitbyfuji is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 21:05   #12
GJB
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitbyfuji View Post
Quite amazed by the wear on my 18" XC 60 tyres also.
2014 SE LUX NAV AUTO, and I really do drive like Miss Daisy, front Pirelli Zero Rosso lasted just under 10,000 miles, new set of Goodyear Wrangler all season tyres now done over 20,000 and just getting ready for replacement, rear Pirellis would still be good with plenty of tread but inside 2 inches of both tyres down to nothing. Not overly impressed!
I would appear to have a rear tracking/ camber problem but the Pirellis must have been made of liquorice.
Definitely, a call for all wheel all wheel alignment check ,worth every penny in savings on tyres.
MY10 XC90 D5 R design Red MY04 XC90 D5 SE RED
95 940 2 ltr D Silver Auto /84 740 2ltr D Red
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 20:46   #13
RichardXC60

Fascinating thread this, I was thinking that the wear on my rear Pirellis (P Zero Rossi) was freakishly good, it has done over 45,000 miles now and they are not half worn. The fronts I swapped for Michelins at about 22,000 miles, they were far from illegal but felt well past their best. 23,000 miles later I am down to under 4mm and they need replacing just as badly as the Pirelli tyres did.

Have come to the conclusion that the XC60 is particularly sensitive to front tyre depth no matter what the tread pattern.

Unfortunately my dealer has confirmed that with the metal tyre valve pressure sensor system it is not advisable to swap the wheels front to back, so I will have to forsake half worn rear Pirellis in order to fit a set of Michelin All Climate tyres which would appear to suit the XC60.
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 14:39   #14
GMcL
0's and 1's

Maybe the exceptional tyre wear is also down to the car originally being homologated with higher spec tyres (weight rating) to accommodate the extra weight of the original 5 & 6 cylinder cars.

If the original specification was at the lower end of the weight rating for the 6 cylinder then a drop in weight rating would be possible with the lighter 4 cylinder cars. Of course only the tyres listed in the vehicle documentation can be used but it could simply be down to over specified tyres from the outset combined with the reduction in vehicle weight by downsizing engine capacity.

If anyone is really interested take a look at the new XC60 data and see what the tyre specification (weight rating) and vehicle weight is and compare like for like vehicle e.g. D4 R-design old and new.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS

Last edited by GMcL; Aug 16th, 2017 at 17:12.
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote