Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replacement Key

Views : 1307

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2017, 22:03   #11
05XC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
But the key will not start the car as it will either not have the immobiliser transponder fitted, or the transponder fitted will not be recognised.

Only Volvo can add new transponder codes to the vehicles immobiliser system

The locksmith can cut a key that works in the mechanical locks, but cannot program the vehicle to accept the new transponder code.
He's software to programme in to most vehicles so said it should be ok. I'll keep folks posted as to how I get on. I had actually contacted the previous owner who had it around 9years but they didn't receive a 2nd key when they bought it either!
05XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 05XC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 19:47   #12
megan60

Unhappy S40 replacement key

Hi
Its been suggested to me by a friend. that it would be cheaper to get the central locking replaced by an independent garage, rather than the £245 i have been quoted for another key,
I have a 2005 S40 an it only came with one key when i bought it 5 years ago, my key is now falling apart, i just think that it is a ridiculous amount of money for a key.
The dealer said to me, but it has to be programmed. I thought a computer did that. i said to him. But i do think they have the monopoly on this and its not good
megan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 20:57   #13
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Yes, a new key or fob is expensive from a main dealer, but that's because Volvo have a very secure security system to prevent cloning which is why any random person can't get a cheap key from a bloke down the market and use it to nick your car.

If your S40 key is falling apart but otherwise ok the you should be able to transfer the innards to a replacement case.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 21:35   #14
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile 1 key

The new key price seems to be around the £240-250 on most volvos, I asked an indi recently if they could program a key as the blanks appear to be available but they told me only main dealers are able to code it to the car.

So if your buying a used volvo with only one key its worth considering the cost to get a spare, also the lost key could be a bit of a security risk, you can also see how many keys a car has programmed to it in some of the menus where you can also see the VIN no, etc. on the S40/C30s which is a good thing to check out.
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 22:37   #15
Rooster
Speed freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by megan60 View Post
Hi
Its been suggested to me by a friend. that it would be cheaper to get the central locking replaced by an independent garage, rather than the £245 i have been quoted for another key,
I have a 2005 S40 an it only came with one key when i bought it 5 years ago, my key is now falling apart, i just think that it is a ridiculous amount of money for a key.
The dealer said to me, but it has to be programmed. I thought a computer did that. i said to him. But i do think they have the monopoly on this and its not good
Not possible like older vehicles
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2017, 12:20   #16
Father Ted
Master Member

I've got 3 keys for mine, but 2 look like they've been stored in oil. I am considering getting replacement cases. Looking on eBay I can buy the transponder chip quite cheaply. Can this be programmed in by anyone with Vida?
I won't need to unless I slip with the Dremmel, but it'd be handy to know in advance.
If this is possible, then this might also be a route for the OP.
Old Sep 2nd, 2017, 13:50   #17
Simon Jones
Premier Member

You'd need a paid up subscription on VIDA with comms to Sweden to be able to purchase the required software. It would cost considerably more than paying a garage that has paid their fees.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2017, 14:37   #18
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

As I have learnt this summer when my car key got soaked by the sea... The remote stopped working. They key part still opened the door, and started the car - turned the alarm off.

The remote part of the key was going to cost me £185 on its own. So £250 for a complete key, with remote, is a good price. I wouldn't mess about buying parts from here there and everywhere to have them coded and possibly ultimately fail.

Its a Volvo, stick with the Volvo keys.

And the reason is they are so expensive is because security is very good, and we don't want anyone so minded to go and buy £10 keys to our lovely cars to take them off the drive !
colinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colinbos For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 3rd, 2017, 10:18   #19
owenfackrell
Premier Member

It's pretty much the same with any car these days the keys can only be programmed once and if Volvo are like Renault then it has to be booked in with the factory as they release the details at a set time only.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to owenfackrell For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 3rd, 2017, 13:46   #20
Horton

Worth mentioning that I can do keys for Volvo's, and we will be cheaper than Volvo....a bit. Only 2000 onwards and not V40/S40's (96-04).

www.hortoncars.com

I don't make a habit of promoting on here, but as owners have little choice outside of the dealer network, I hope the mods to mind!
Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Horton For This Useful Post: